Navy Arms Zouave Musket

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
awalker1829

Navy Arms Zouave Musket

Post by awalker1829 »

I’m in the process of acquiring a Navy Arms Zouave musket locally. Does anyone here know what nipple size and cap size are for this firearm?
Jbob

Re: Navy Arms Zouave Musket

Post by Jbob »

Jut dug around some of my old reenacting stuff and found several tins of caps. They show no number for them, only saying they're 4 flange musket caps. Looking online I'm finding the same thing stated not giving a number size to go by. Yell at me if you can't find any and I'll send you a hundred or so...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Probably musket caps, that is what is used on my Pedersoli 1863 Springfield, and what should be used on any larger caplock. #10's and 11's are for pistols, or should be, I don't know who made Navy Arms rifle muskets. Japan, Spain, or Italy, if it isn't using musket caps then change out the nipple for one that does use them. Better ignition of a larger powder charge. Musket Caps are the size, they don't use a number on the tins, just musket caps.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

What size nipple wrench should be used? I believe that Navy Arms used Italy to manufacture the Zouave muskets.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dixie Gun Works Union City Tn. They will have whatever nipple wrench that rifle uses, pretty well standard for the musket cap nipples if I recall. Dixie has everything related to BP weapons, and a lot of information. Once you know for sure what you have and who made it you can just call them and tell them what you need. Last time I cracked open their webpage I found what I was looking for, and then somehow acquired three more pistols I hadn't realized I needed.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I'll give Dixie a call. Won't have the gun in hand until the 15th at the earliest due to the local municipal code. Any gun shop that is within Tucson city limits has to hold a firearm for thirty days if they buy it from a private seller. Presumably that allows some time for the police to retrieve a firearm that is reported as stolen property. Right now I'm gathering the incidental items needed-nipple vent, ball puller, powder measure, etc. Ought to assemble a range bag for the muzzleloader. That way, all the gear lives in the bag and is there when I need it.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Navy Arms “Zouave” muskets were made in Italy and use standard 4 wing musket caps. I have a tin of “Dynamit Nobel” RWS Nr 1081 musket caps that were perfect for it. Dixie Gun Works is the place to go.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Well, I was going to pay the musket off yesterday but the LGS had received a “sporterized” high number 1903 Springfield. This other couple was looking at it but finally decided not to buy it. I looked it over-only sporterized item I could see was the front sight. So I put it on layaway and I’ll pay the musket off next weekend.

I’ve got a nice looking low number 1903 that has a good receiver but the barrel throat is severely eroded to the point it should not be fired. Yes I could replace the barrel but the receiver dates to 1910 and the date on the barrel matches. As a collector, I’m not going to pull the barrel when it’s probably original to the receiver.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I wish your LGS was closer to me.😀
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Murphy's gets a good deal of volume through their doors with used guns. In fact, I rarely see them selling factory new guns. The 1903 was the only milsurp on the floor. Pre COVID, you could usually find a few milsurps on the racks. I've apparently become a "regular" there.

Only hitch in buying used guns in Tucson is that if the dealer is within the city limits, any firearm bought from a private seller must remain in the dealer's possession for 30 days. From a law enforcement perspective (as a government person), that makes sense as it allows the police time to look for firearms that are reported stolen. From a buyer's perspective, it's no big deal since I know the rule exists and why it exists. Murphy's puts the release date on the price tag, so you can tell whether you can walk with it or not.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Picked up the musket yesterday.

Inspected it last night-bore is clear, breech plug is secure. Loaded it with powder, patch and ball and marked a commercial ramrod to show the point at which the charge and ball are firmly seated at the breech, then pulled everything back out. Got a powder measure, flask, ball puller, worm, nipple pick, musket caps and Pyrodex ffg. Ball seated pretty easily, so the bore is relatively clean. I may take it out tomorrow and put a few balls down range at the club.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

As I have a tendency to sometimes forget things when packing for a trip to the range, I decided to put together an equipment box specifically for the musket that has all the stuff needed for shooting a black powder muzzleloader other than the ramrod and firearm.

Most of the gear and the box.

Most of the gear in the box.

The box is smaller than the other ammo boxes I use so that it stands out. The goal is to keep it supplied so that every item needed for shooting is in it, including balls and powder. If I have the box, I know I haven’t forgotten anything.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Took the musket out Sunday to the range. It shot fine until the fouling built up enough. Should have run some wet patches followed by dry patches. Live and learn. Ordered a musket nipple wrench from Dixie. They couldn’t determine what thread size the nipple has to have, so I’ll take the nipple off and get our machinist to measure the threads.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Well, I got the nipple wrench from Dixie and it’s a no go. The slotted fitting is too thick to fit the area around the nipple.

If I try to slide it onto the nipple, the edges hit the metal. So I guess I’ll have to give them another call to see what they suggest now.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grind the tool down to fit it.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I’ll do that. I’ve got a good idea of what needs to be done, so I’ll do that Saturday evening. If I grind it down thin enough, that should allow it to get in there.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Tried grinding the tool down and that didn’t work. Got it down to fit but that softened the metal too much. Sent an email to Dixie with photos so hopefully I’ll get information from them on which wrench will fit this without modification. It’s either get the right wrench from them or pay our machine shop to make me a custom hardened steel wrench that will fit the tight clearances.
entropy

Post by entropy »

That would be money well spent. Have him make several. On the good side it's an Antonio Zoli, not an Angelo Zoli. Antonio Zoli is a company that turns out good quality guns, they make some dang good Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays guns. Angelo Zoli puts out low quality copies of Antonio Zoli guns. One damn near killed me some years ago, by doubling when fired in the test tube; the second barrel went off after the recoil moved the barrels out of the tube, and the shot column hit the rim of the tube, tore the muffs of my head and flung them 20 feet back onto the Archery bench in the shop. The store did not buy that one.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I didn’t know Antonio Zoli had an evil twin.