1924 Tula M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
willyj73

1924 Tula M91

Post by willyj73 »

Took some outdoor photos of a rifle I bought in 2015. I was new to collecting, and paid a good bit for it at the time--I think the "paid too early" for it justification still doesn't match current value. Regardless, it's a more common year of the later Soviet made M91s. I think the Izhevsk quit making the long rifles in 1919. Latest for Tula is 1926.

I like the "PM" marking on the barrel. I am pretty sure the "PM" mark and the mark on the tang are both markings from repair depots. Rifle is Finnish captured. The buttplate has Finnish condition markings on it, but I don't think the markings are for this rifle--not certain, but I thought the CG marked the buttplates with condition markings. This stock isn't in great condition, so the original stock must have been really bad. The stock has an odd filler on the butt. This rifle was covered with preservative grease when I bought it, so the repair was performed prior to import.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by willyj73 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Re: 1924 Tula M91

Post by willyj73 »

Photo of the tang, stock repair, rear sight base, other serial numbers on bolt, and repair depot marking--photos probably won't be in order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Finn M91's, especially if they were a less common date M91 like this were up in price long before the Soviet refurb 91/30's started hitting $300. Nice M91 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a nice rifle. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
REM1917

Post by REM1917 »

Very nice. I especially like how visible the markings are. Some 100 year old guns are hard to make out.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Is it just a Finn stock ? I'm missing any Finn marks on the metal ? Don't see a finger joint either ? MMMMM....Finnbuttplate.. :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:29 pm Is it just a Finn stock ? I'm missing any Finn marks on the metal ? Don't see a finger joint either ? MMMMM....Finnbuttplate.. :vcool:
I forgot this photo. I was going to retake it as I noticed some of the photos were a little blurry when I looked at them on my PC. Didn't retake this one as I forgot. Renumbered rear sight base should have been a clue though :wink:

The stock is Russian or Soviet M91 stock. As far as I know, the condition markings on the butt plate were a Civil Guard feature. Since the barrel doesn't have a CG number, I'm assuming the stock was a replacement. It's probably been sanded as much as possible though as you can see just how thin it is in the photo of the barrel.
Mosin Fanboy
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I see that. I was looking in the Knowledge base for the PM. I thought I'd seen it listed as "unknown". can't find it now. ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:00 pm I see that. I was looking in the Knowledge base for the PM. I thought I'd seen it listed as "unknown". can't find it now. ?
I was trying to find info on that. Ratnik has a really informative site (www.m9130.info), and I thought it mentioned the PM marking. Regardless, I believe it is a marking from a repair depot---just not sure which one. Kind of neat that the rifle was serviced prior to being captured. Also neat that the Soviets would have still been using M91s during WW2 (at least, I would guess they were).
Mosin Fanboy