Where to find a stripped receiver? I goofed.

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
thebagel264

Where to find a stripped receiver? I goofed.

Post by thebagel264 »

I bought what I thought was a rifle online. The store is two hours away(same state). I thought I was just putting money down and would do the background check there. Well they sent me a barrel for a m91/30. I'm looking to see if I can at least find a reciever to put it into and piece together a rifle. It's in better shape than the barrel I have on my other m91/30, but I don't want to pull it off and change it all.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Where to find a stripped receiver? I goofed.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Was the auction description vague? Bad or no pictures? Did the description explicitly say you were bidding on a firearm, or did it say you were bidding on a part? If I bid on what I thought was a full firearm, and on winning I received a part of a firearm, and the auction description flat out said I was bidding on a full firearm then that outfit and I would be having words. Two hours away means I would be there to express my displeasure in person. Full M91/30's can be had for less than $400, sometimes less than $300, you are not going to be able to build one Johnny Cash style one bit at a time for less than that. Likely it will cost considerably more once you factor in having a gunsmith set the headspace, unless you are a gunsmith yourself or have one in the family who works for food. Once you are done spending $500-$600 you will have a parts master that isn't a piece of history, just a pile of spare parts assembled into a shooter. No matching numbers, different shades of metal finish, in short a disaster. Use the barrel as a paperweight, or better yet see if they accept returns, and get yourself a real Soviet refurb 91/30. Gunbroker.com has rifles, so do some of the online retail sellers, I see them pop up on this board, they aren't hard to find or that expensive.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

First; Welcome to the forum. :alien:

More details of the ad the seller posted would help & also; How much did you pay? Without details we have no idea of what went down; & no real way to give advice regarding your barrel purchase.

regarding your consideration of "One Piece at a time"... Don't make matters worse by finding a receiver for the barrel... Don't forget you would have to buy the rest of the gun parts as well. Then there's the difficult task of putting the barrel on a receiver PROPERLY. The cost to cobble it together would be FAR greater than just buying an unmolested rifle at even retail price; And your Hobble Cobble parts gun would be worth far less than the value of the parts, and looked upon by collectors as a pile of junk at worst, and spare parts at best.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If you could find an entire rifle with a bad barrel for $$ cheap, you would be shittin in high cotton.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I have a stripped receiver from a T53 in the parts bin. Your biggest problem is that it would have to be shipped as a firearm, going to an FFL and a 4473 being done on it as it no longer qualifies as C&R eligible if you have an 03 license.

As Rongo stated, it isn't just a "screw it in and done" process, it may require machining in order to get it timed right and headspace within specs.