Are these worth anything?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Bill-ay

Are these worth anything?

Post by Bill-ay »

Hi gents,

Been a while since I posted. I have about 17 Mosin's and have decided to start selling some. When I bought them, they were valued at about $125, and I'm not sure what they're going for these days. They are typical refurbs with some light surface rusting in areas, but functionally fine. They have matching bayonets. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Are these worth anything?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are worth a bit more than the 125 you paid, prices seem to be all over. Matching bayonets is not the norm with most refurbs, few dealers bothered to keep matching bayonets with the rifles as they sold them from the crates. Hex receivers like the one on that 1934 will bring a slight premium. I have heard prices anyplace from $200-$350, the firearms market is volatile at the moment with some people willing to pay just about anything for a firearm that will shoot. This is spurned on by fears of civil unrest, and may be regional. That being said I recently acquired another 1939 Izhevsk 91/30 refurb for essentially nothing as it was part of a multi gun deal for something else I wanted, and that items value is greater than what I paid for everything. Check gunbroker.com and see what others are selling them for, track a few sales that have bidders, check the local gun shop to see if any are for sale, and at what price. What these would bring in NY might be more than what they bring in Texas and so on.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Yes and no. I see them listed for sale on a couple auction sites for more than what you paid. Are they selling? Some are and some are not. I would say, do your homework and make your own decision as to sell or not. This forum is here more for the history of these firearms rather than the value of them.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Not saying it's the norm, but most seem to be priced around $350.00 on average, maybe slightly lower or higher based on region.

I know in Florida, I've yet to see one below the $300.00 for a few years now, and the $350.00 I mentioned seems to be the standard.

Again as said, do your homework, look at completed auctions, and go from there.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yes.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I recently purchased a nice 1936 Tula hex with a laminate stock off Gunbroker for $385 ( $420 with shipping )... At least one other guy was willing to spend $375.. I did not see the $500 guns selling
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I haven't looked recently but if they are selling above $300 again it's insane and sell now. Last time they sold above $300 they quickly dropped to $200.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

matt167

Post by matt167 »

They will never go back down until another shipment of crates ends up somewhere.. J&G still show crate fresh guns available, but at $429 a pop.. Prices have been north of $300 for a few years. Classic Firearms was selling through a batch of nice ( crate fresh in cosmoline ) Tula Hex last year for $349 a pop
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I haven't paid market prices for 91/30s, but I frequently see people online saying they are paying over $300 for them.
Mosin Fanboy
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

matt167 wrote:They will never go back down until another shipment of crates ends up somewhere.. J&G still show crate fresh guns available, but at $429 a pop.. Prices have been north of $300 for a few years. Classic Firearms was selling through a batch of nice ( crate fresh in cosmoline ) Tula Hex last year for $349 a pop
Lol.

They have dropped before and name one bubble that has never burst?

Also they are still coming in by the boat load.

They have not been North of $300 for years. That is completely false. They were barely above $200 9 months ago.

Bill-ay

Post by Bill-ay »

Thank you all for the replies and feedback. I went ahead and threw one up on gunbroker as a penny auction.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

capt14k wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:54 am
matt167 wrote:They will never go back down until another shipment of crates ends up somewhere.. J&G still show crate fresh guns available, but at $429 a pop.. Prices have been north of $300 for a few years. Classic Firearms was selling through a batch of nice ( crate fresh in cosmoline ) Tula Hex last year for $349 a pop
Lol.

They have not been North of $300 for years. That is completely false. They were barely above $200 9 months ago.

I have not kept up with the Mosin market entirely, check yearly more or less since selling a couple that I later regretted. But I only saw north of $300 any time I checked. I also don't see the boat loads like there once were. J&G appears to have some for $430, there's a place in Canada that appears to have some, but the last sale of crated mosins that appears to have really happen was through Classic and that was last year.. I think when shipments appear here and there it causes the market to swing a little... With 2A rights the way they are and what they could end up being, I don't see any firearm going down in price in the foreseeable future. That's why I recently dropped a good chunk of change on a nice Tula hex. It's crazy money for the type of firearm, but if I was to get one, it would have to be soon..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Price the cost of a new commercial rifle in .30-06 ( closest you will likely find to 7.62x54r) anything built as stout as the Mosin 91/30 will run one hell of a lot more than $300. Commercial sporters are smoother and maybe nicer finished than the Mosin, and new of course, but in the end both rifles do the same job. I don't think there are Mosin imports coming in at the moment, probably not for awhile. What happens when you see sudden inventory appear at the dealers is they are pulling things out of storage. These guys are in the business of making a profit selling these rifles, they aren't collectors thinning the ranks. They buy 300 crates, sell 125 right away to cover their outlay, they a year or two later when prices are higher they sell off another 50 or so, and then the rest get sold in small lots for big profit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:10 pm Price the cost of a new commercial rifle in .30-06 ( closest you will likely find to 7.62x54r) anything built as stout as the Mosin 91/30 will run one hell of a lot more than $300. Commercial sporters are smoother and maybe nicer finished than the Mosin, and new of course, but in the end both rifles do the same job. I don't think there are Mosin imports coming in at the moment, probably not for awhile. What happens when you see sudden inventory appear at the dealers is they are pulling things out of storage. These guys are in the business of making a profit selling these rifles, they aren't collectors thinning the ranks. They buy 300 crates, sell 125 right away to cover their outlay, they a year or two later when prices are higher they sell off another 50 or so, and then the rest get sold in small lots for big profit.
Bingo.......Nuff said! :pointup:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

matt167 wrote:
Lol.

I have not kept up with the Mosin market entirely, check yearly more or less since selling a couple that I later regretted. But I only saw north of $300 any time I checked. I also don't see the boat loads like there once were. J&G appears to have some for $430, there's a place in Canada that appears to have some, but the last sale of crated mosins that appears to have really happen was through Classic and that was last year.. I think when shipments appear here and there it causes the market to swing a little... With 2A rights the way they are and what they could end up being, I don't see any firearm going down in price in the foreseeable future. That's why I recently dropped a good chunk of change on a nice Tula hex. It's crazy money for the type of firearm, but if I was to get one, it would have to be soon..
Century/Sarco has been bringing them in from warehouse the size of a football field in Ukraine. Of course they get the Century Billboard and sights are pinned at 300.

There are plenty of Milsurps pouring in right now. Tradex is getting Mosins and Berdans. IO is getting everything. Everyone is getting Carcanos. Simpsons, Edelweiss, and MMBI are getting Swiss. Simpsons are getting Swedes. This is in addition to Century/Sarco Mosins.

ffuries

Post by ffuries »

capt14k wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 pm
matt167 wrote:
Lol.

Century/Sarco has been bringing them in from warehouse the size of a football field in Ukraine. Of course they get the Century Billboard and sights are pinned at 300.

There are plenty of Milsurps pouring in right now. Tradex is getting Mosins and Berdans. IO is getting everything. Everyone is getting Carcanos. Simpsons, Edelweiss, and MMBI are getting Swiss. Simpsons are getting Swedes. This is in addition to Century/Sarco Mosins.

Not saying this is the case with everything, but how much of this stuff came from places like Springfield Sporters, and what was the other place SARCO/SAMCO or something like that?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

ffuries wrote:
capt14k wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 pm
matt167 wrote:
Lol.

Not saying this is the case with everything, but how much of this stuff came from places like Springfield Sporters, and what was the other place SARCO/SAMCO or something like that?
A lot from SAMCO sale. I have the list for that one. A lot from Springfield Sporters too. Personal rifles as well. Tons of parts. Both bought by Century. I have the pics of the one warehouse IO bought in Ethiopia. A lot of rifles. Some really rough but some decent. The stuff Century is getting from Ukraine is all post war refurb. Tadex I don't know where they are buying from but lots of Swedes, Mosins, abd Berdans Type I and II.

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Prices are all over the board for Mosins right now. I just saw an MO 91/30 sell for $315, which I though was pretty low for this gun. Alternately, I've seen average refubs sell for $350. I also recently saw an Argentine 1909 carbine, a matching 1st variant Ejercito, sell for $315 too. A steel in anyone's book. Then you will see standard 1909/47 selling for $500+. I guess the secret now when selling is being hopeful that newbies bid. Yet, that is a bit risky. I don't think many collectors would even pay $300 anymore for a 91/30 unless it was one that filled a hole. Listing a rifle anymore is a crap shoot. I recently sold the majority of my guns to Larry Eisel but that's a different story.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

qz2026 wrote:Prices are all over the board for Mosins right now. I just saw an MO 91/30 sell for $315, which I though was pretty low for this gun. Alternately, I've seen average refubs sell for $350. I also recently saw an Argentine 1909 carbine, a matching 1st variant Ejercito, sell for $315 too. A steel in anyone's book. Then you will see standard 1909/47 selling for $500+. I guess the secret now when selling is being hopeful that newbies bid. Yet, that is a bit risky. I don't think many collectors would even pay $300 anymore for a 91/30 unless it was one that filled a hole. Listing a rifle anymore is a crap shoot. I recently sold the majority of my guns to Larry Eisel but that's a different story.
You sold to Eisel and didn't give me a shot first lol. Now I have to catch the blanket when it needs a recharge.

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Some crazy prices I watched first hand

I sold SMLE III* Refurb $970
Friend sold M28/30 no date refurb $1500
Friend sold M39 VKT antique $1200

All penny start auctions