My Early B-day Present

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
BiTTeR-SiN

My Early B-day Present

Post by BiTTeR-SiN »

So I've got to take some better pics upon the cram session lol. Might as well get it posted though with what I've already taken. $320 what it cost me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BiTTeR-SiN

Re: My Early B-day Present

Post by BiTTeR-SiN »

Oh man I have finally figured it out. I'd gather the forum is gonna enjoy this! Also I now understand why my end sight confused me so lol. I do believe we are looking at one of illustrious few Finnish M27rv or Ski.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myself ~ Here I am, follow what I desire.. but not require? Thus is the fallacy to this existence, which enlists my resistance!
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Trolling or serious?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That rifle has been sporterized. Perhaps by Bubba, or some commercial outfit. My guess is the latter, due to the replacement front sight.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I was the first to see this, but didn't want to be the person to bear the bad news..

The good news is you can have fun with it most likely and not have to worry ( it's already cut and worth half price )..

UNLESS it might be a Bannerman.. According to Ian at Forgotten Weapons, Bannerman sold rifles in the 'stock' caliber of 7.62x54R and not just re chambered to .30-06.. The front sight does sort of look like Bannerman to me and the stock on some Bannermans are cut like that.. However it would be marked Bannerman AND it would have to have been a USA manufactured gun to be a Bannerman
GColloton

Post by GColloton »

Looks like a nice rifle. What the other people responding are saying is that the wood stock was altered to look more modern after the war. They call this sporterized. People buy military surplus rifles and sporterize them to use for hunting, target, etc. unfortunately most of the guns value is lost after that happens. Just enjoy it and watch some YouTube videos on how to check the headspace to make sure it’s safe to shoot. There’s a tool you can buy (they made millions and millions) cheaply to do it. Best of luck!
matt167

Post by matt167 »

GColloton wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:43 pm Looks like a nice rifle. What the other people responding are saying is that the wood stock was altered to look more modern after the war. They call this sporterized. People buy military surplus rifles and sporterize them to use for hunting, target, etc. unfortunately most of the guns value is lost after that happens. Just enjoy it and watch some YouTube videos on how to check the headspace to make sure it’s safe to shoot. There’s a tool you can buy (they made millions and millions) cheaply to do it. Best of luck!
Not just the stock. The barrel is chopped as well. Should measure 29"..

And Okie made headspace gauges. Firewerks copied them but are still available
GColloton

Post by GColloton »

matt167 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 pm Not just the stock. The barrel is chopped as well. Should measure 29"..
Good eye. I didn’t notice the measuring tape. Why are they showing the measuring tape if they didn’t know it was cut?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

GColloton wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:03 pm
matt167 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 pm Not just the stock. The barrel is chopped as well. Should measure 29"..
Good eye. I didn’t notice the measuring tape. Why are they showing the measuring tape if they didn’t know it was cut?
To show the barrel is now 20-21". That was a Tula M-91 or a dragoon depending on the receiver date, then a Balkan scrub,and converted into a Mosin Cub in the 50's- 60's. Lot's of them made/converted by some company in the US.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
BiTTeR-SiN

Post by BiTTeR-SiN »

1923 on tang
Myself ~ Here I am, follow what I desire.. but not require? Thus is the fallacy to this existence, which enlists my resistance!