New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Bahzell

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Bahzell »

Hello, fairly new (well actually really new) to collecting military firearms. Recently I purchased a 1944 Tula PU sniper and also a 1937 Finn capture 91/30. Looking for more information I found this web site. I would like to find a Sako (?) M28/30 of the same era that Simo Häyhä used. Just not sure what a reasonable price would be for one. My newness also means this may not be the best place to ask this question but I will be exploring the site more in the coming days.
1911lvr

My First Izhevsk

Post by 1911lvr »

Hey Y'all,

Tom from Arizona here. Just bought my first Mosin Nagant M91/30 yesterday. Excited to get it cleaned up, learn what I can about its history, then get to shootin'.

Date stamp is 1939 and it came with a bayonet, ammo pouch and oil can. Still covered in plenty of cosmoline so I got my work cut out for me.
patrioticjim

Post by patrioticjim »

Hi all. I'm new here. I bought a Tula made, 1936 91/30 quite a few years ago for really cheap. I finally have the time (retired) to work on it now. Bore looks great, action nice and smooth, bluing is pretty decent. The only problem I have is that it is missing one part and I can't find one any place that I've looked. It is the rail that screws to the top of the barrel and has a male dovetail that attaches the sight base. Does anyone know where I can possibly find one? I'm desperate!
Thanks all.
BiTTeR-SiN

Post by BiTTeR-SiN »

Hey oh, wow at what a resource this place has been. I could get lost on these forums for hours :D So I managed to find myself what I believe to be a Tula Dragoon last week for $320. I just seen the hex and had to have it :D
Myself ~ Here I am, follow what I desire.. but not require? Thus is the fallacy to this existence, which enlists my resistance!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

patrioticjim wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:24 am Hi all. I'm new here. I bought a Tula made, 1936 91/30 quite a few years ago for really cheap. I finally have the time (retired) to work on it now. Bore looks great, action nice and smooth, bluing is pretty decent. The only problem I have is that it is missing one part and I can't find one any place that I've looked. It is the rail that screws to the top of the barrel and has a male dovetail that attaches the sight base. Does anyone know where I can possibly find one? I'm desperate!
Thanks all.
. You can get the sight base from Liberty tree, click the ad top of this page. Is that what you need ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
BiTTeR-SiN

Post by BiTTeR-SiN »

I'm gonna have to go find some original parts myself lol. Had to order another cleaning rod but it doesn't even have the barrel bands. Overall I'm still in shock but it's been scrubbed. After practically playing with the glares of light fairly certain it's a 1925.
Myself ~ Here I am, follow what I desire.. but not require? Thus is the fallacy to this existence, which enlists my resistance!
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

Unless OP is talking about the dovetail itself, sight bases can be found online as stated above.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=17

A base may fit the dovetail, but there is a chance that the securing pinholes may not line up with the dovetail ones.

I think the dovetail rails were welded/soldered onto the barrel, so having one missing would of taken some work. Here are some pics of my dovetail and sight base:
dovetail.jpg
dovetail-base.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GColloton

Post by GColloton »

I sent a pm to the OP
fettkanos

Post by fettkanos »

Hello, I joined this forum after purchasing some original Russian stripper clips for my 91/30 and saw the topic detailing all the different varieties I was unaware of since I only had experience with the Chinese knock-offs before.
Spooneryork

Post by Spooneryork »

Hello All
I’m a UK based target/pleasure shooter. I’m on the cusp of buying a Mosin Nagant Carbine. Are there many other Brits on here.
Hesus

Post by Hesus »

Hi all, greetings from Europe. Love the Mosin and hope to find a lot of information on them in this forum. So far i own 3 of them, probably won't stop at 3. :)
southfork

Post by southfork »

Hi, I finally broke down and bought one, a 1938 dated sniper. Looking forward to more posts and meeting you guys.
Exit13

Post by Exit13 »

Hope this is my first post of many.
hardrivn

Post by hardrivn »

Hi, I'm Brian, I just won an auction for my first Mosin, that adds to my other WW2 gun collection including a M1 Carbine Para, M1 Garand and an M1A (not really WW2 with the M1A as it was made after the war). Still very excited, I literally bought it today so it is not in my hands yet but I cannot wait to shoot it. I am not sure if links are allowed by new members but if they are here is what I just won:
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milit ... n/55302739
I was using the info pages to try and figure it out a bit Seems to be a Izhevsk from 1943 with Bayonette, cleaning kit, sling, and 2 ammo holders.
metalman3006

Post by metalman3006 »

First post, tula 1942 PEM, and hope to contribute more once I figure things out.
tula 1942 pem.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Nice find, I'm betting it's a good shooter. So you have more?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
cyanbarron

Post by cyanbarron »

Hi,

I just bought my first 2 mosin's last month. I bought a 91 made in 1899. It still has the imperial russian stamp on the hex receiver. My 2nd mosin, I just bought at an auction on Sunday. It is a 91/30 PU sniper. It even came with the cleaning kit. The numbers match on the receiver, bolt, butt plate, and magazine. I believe it is authentic after looking over the reference page for the sniper. I will be posting some pictures on it in the sniper forum tomorrow if I get the chance.
REM1917

Post by REM1917 »

Hoping this is a good source for info as I am new to Mosin Nagants, but learning more all the time.
DirSec

Post by DirSec »

Just received an inherited Type 44 that I believe is an M44 Carbine, that my father brought to the U.S. from Vietnam as a "War Trophy".

Still trying to narrow down the details and hopefully sharing images with forum members will make this possible.

Thanks for having me.
k4lmp

Post by k4lmp »

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I just bought what was supposed to be a 91/30, but the receiver is marked 1929. I'll make a post about it in the regular forums, but, on this post, would just like to say hello. I do have my C&R, and the Mosin Nagant was my first rifle delivered to my home.