Won a Mosin.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
matt167

Won a Mosin.

Post by matt167 »

I bought a Chinese SKS from my coworker friend and it kind of got the itch going again.. I was going to buy a cosmoline fresh Chinese SKS, as an original complete gun. But the gun I have itself is actually really nice, just some assembly required.. My girlfriend gave the go ahead as long as it did not hinder her car payment being paid early... Then I remembered that a couple years ago, I had a couple nice Mosins, both a 1932 91/30 Tula hex red letter and a 1944 M44 .. Both of those rifles were sold when my girlfriend ( same one ) got herself in a real tight spot and I bailed her out by selling them.

So it was settled I was going to get my prize gun back ( 1932 Tula 91/30), which I was originally thinking, just any old 91/30 would do or possibly an M44.

But I spotted this on Gun Broker.. It is everything that my '32 Tula was except it's a '36/53 double date MO stamp, and the stock is laminate. I snagged it for $420 with shipped. I did not ask the seller but pretty sure it came from the batch that Classic had last year.
1936 Tula Mosin.jpg
The best part is today I flipped an outboard motor that I held onto for about a year, at a $350 profit, so the gun was pretty much free
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Won a Mosin.

Post by millman »

:vcool: Nice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Congrats. That looks like a nice rifle with a good looking laminated stock
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I always wished my 1932 Tula had a laminate stock. It had the same red lacquer finish.. I guess some things are meant to happen
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

My girlfriend gave the go ahead
:big shock: :big shock:

We struggle with the wives... But, now the girlfriends??? We must be in the end times :chuckles:
matt167

Post by matt167 »

qz2026 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 am
My girlfriend gave the go ahead
:big shock: :big shock:

We struggle with the wives... But, now the girlfriends??? We must be in the end times :chuckles:
Nah, were engaged lol. I'm only setting myself up for even worse
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I just picked the gun up yesterday and it's every bit as nice as I thought. Previous owner did not fully clean it of cosmoline so I have some more work to do... Pics when I clean it up

My local FFL who is a great guy and did the transfer told me that bayonets are entirely illegal in NY, but still let me have it. The 91/30 since it does not actually have a bayonet lug would be safe act compliant regardless if it was semi auto with a removable mag... I know that he does not fully understand the law, and his shop, his rules. He had some PPU 54R and x39 ammo at a great price that I was happy to buy from him
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

According to your FFL, an M-44 or SKS would be illegal because they have bayonets...
matt167

Post by matt167 »

qz2026 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:24 am According to your FFL, an M-44 or SKS would be illegal because they have bayonets...
agreed. anything with a bayonet lug actually. although he's not correct. I've read over the law many times, and checked here to be sure and with other gun shops previously.. What matters is a firearm has or does not have a removable magazine.. I cannot attach a bayonet to my Remington 597 .22LR since it's mags are removable, but the SKS is entirely legal since it has a fixed mag. The " evil feature " list only counts to an AW if there is a detachable mag.

If I do buy either an M44 or another SKS I'll have to have it FFL through another shop
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

Nice looking Mosin do you have any more pictures of it?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

That's a good trading attitude, sell some other crap laying around and your guns are free. Remember, You don't have to tell her about All the guns you buy. :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
matt167

Post by matt167 »

20200801_201817.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Free gun is good gun.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Congrats!! :D
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.