Unknown Chinese type 56 SKS, Un sporterizing

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
matt167

Unknown Chinese type 56 SKS, Un sporterizing

Post by matt167 »

I bought this gun for $150 knowing it was worth at least that. But it needs to be un sporterized, or at least completed because it's in the middle.. The only thing I know about it is it was not chopped, and the bayonet is still there and it's Chinese.

My boss bought the gun from one of our customers with a broken plastic POS stock who then sold the gun to my coworker who is ex military and cleaned and went through it. He also got an original stock from the local gun shop, who is also another good/ loyal customer ( I sell tires for a living at a locally owned tire center ), and he put the gun togther, and his girlfriend hated the gun so he offered it to me for $150

The stock that he bought is not Chinese, but I don't know if it's Russian or Yugo. The problem for me is that none of the sling hardware, butt plate or cleaning kit is with it, and it's also missing the center bolt/ pin that holds it together... So I want to find a good complete Chinese stock.

Originally was just thinking getting a crate fresh type 56 and leaving this one kinda sporterized. But I hate a sporter milsurp..

Does a stock swap really hurt the value of a Chinese type 56? Not to a sporter stock, but just a non matching serial number stock..I have MY girlfriend to contend with, although she is supportive
Sonny

Re: Unknown Chinese type 56 SKS, Un sporterizing

Post by Sonny »

I'm going to say that "most" guys couldn't tell the difference between a Russian,Chinese or any other wooden SKS stock.

So go ahead and slap some wood on it and enjoy your SKS. :thumbsup:
matt167

Post by matt167 »

It does not have that dark garbage wood look to it that I associate with the Chinese guns.. Either way I want to get a complete stock
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Buying a stock for a Chinese can be tricky depending on if it has a blade or spike bayo and whether it has a short barrel lug or long, pinned or screwed in barrel. Once you figure out what you have, you need to contend with sellers that don't know or explain well what they are selling.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

it's a spike bayonet, but beyond that I don't even know what to look for..

Is it one of those things where, it will be cheaper to buy a cross pin, put a rubber butt plate on it and enjoy it as a beater range gun, and then buy a crate fresh gun for the $350 it would cost as a display piece?

I'm currently bidding on a spike bayonet and a complete chinese stock but if it goes any higher than my max bid of $125 shipped, it makes no sense to spend more on this gun, because a fresh gun is $350 + FFL fees
matt167

Post by matt167 »

here is a pic.. You can see the cross bolt is missing. It's a nice stock but it's missing everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

matt167 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:06 pm here is a pic.. You can see the cross bolt is missing. It's a nice stock but it's missing everything.
Doesn't look very sporterized. You can find the parts for that on Liberty tree, click the link above. No they don't have what you need , but eBay probably does.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
matt167

Post by matt167 »

The broken POS plastic folding stock is still in the back of my car.. I see desert fox has butt plates, then I need a cross bolt and the mount for the sling if I put this stock back together. It's like $50 in parts
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

That'll make you a nice rifle... I've been into tire sales also for the past 40 years. Back 20 odd years ago seemed like each week a customer would come by trading guns for tires. Shop owner would then tell me don't forget that gun when you go home tonight and I've saved everyone of them over the years until I'm not sure just what I own now. Last 10 years I've picked up maybe one gun through the work place.... Whole different world out there now.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I have determined that it's a 1957. The 7 digit SN starts with 16, so it should be one year after 1956. I have located a 1956 stock which I know is correct for it... My boss pretty much can trade for whatever he might want. We have 3 gun shop owners as very good customers, and another who has a C&R and collects some very high dollar firearms..

My girlfriend also gave the go ahead to buy another gun if I want it
matt167

Post by matt167 »

well, I lost that nice '56 stock.. I found another Norinco stock for a short lug, spike bayo type 56. It comes with the gas tube so I might win it, I might not.

If all else fails, I'll grab a handguard and rebuild this stock using parts. Butt plate, cross bolt, and sling brackets. The hand guard won't match but since they don't always match I'm not sure it really will matter
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

matt167 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:04 pm well, I lost that nice '56 stock.. I found another Norinco stock for a short lug, spike bayo type 56. It comes with the gas tube so I might win it, I might not.

If all else fails, I'll grab a handguard and rebuild this stock using parts. Butt plate, cross bolt, and sling brackets. The hand guard won't match but since they don't always match I'm not sure it really will matter
Listed on eBay as, SKS stock hardware kit, is the cross bolt, buttplate, sling hangers, screws, for $45. That stock looks like Yugo. Has the butt end been cut any ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
matt167

Post by matt167 »

does not appear to be cut, just hardware removed.

I saw that stuff but it's pretty rusty, but a cheap stock can be found on Gun Broker where I could rob it of the same parts for this one.. Since this stock is in decent shape just needing the parts. Stocks on Gun Broker don't say what they are for except most are blade bayonet and mine is spike, which is why I'd just borrow the parts

This rifle is marked Poly USA ATL Georgia. So this might be an old polytech import?
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I lost the bid on that chinese stock. So I bought a $50 stock on Gunbroker with all the needed parts that were removed from mine.. I'll probably give the blank stock away. It's a blade stock so I can't just use the whole thing
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Now I have a question. I just got the blade stock in for hardware parts. The problem I'm having is the stock is gorgeous. I was originally thinking it had to be a re finished stock but it smells like cosmoline and there are cosmoline remnants in some of the hardware.. I actually want to use this stock. I think I bought it as a Russian stock but I'd have to look at my invoice..

Can I swap a blade bayonet onto the spike bayonet rifle? I don't want to sporterize it of course, it's just the stock is beautiful and the one that is on it is not correct anyway
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You can always change the spike for a blade, it will just add to the price but at this point who cares.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Where's the pictures of this gorgeous stock you speak of......?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Not even sure what species of wood it is. It just has a nice grain and color
20200709_061623.jpg
20200709_061705.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

SKSrusstock.jpg
Well, I pulled the bayonet off it and flopped it into the Russian stock. I still have the hand guard to mess with but that will wait for the weekend

I will wait for a good deal on a blade bayonet