Just acquired a Remington made Mosin Nagant with some strange stampings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
David LaPell

Just acquired a Remington made Mosin Nagant with some strange stampings

Post by David LaPell »

Hello all,

I just acquired a Remington made Mosin Nagant M91 after not having one for better than 20 years. I ran into this one in my local gun shop, has a great bore and rifling and the action is excellent.
The Remington has some various stampings that I haven't been able to decipher, it's all numbers matching except for the bolt.

On the left side of the stock and the magazine are the same numbers, it's not a SSN because there is a letter prefix, (letter A) and SSN numbers don't have a letter. It's also a digit or so off from being a US Service ID.

On the receiver above the serial number is a strange stamp, can't find it anywhere online.

This letter K is on the right side of the barrel by the receiver, I'm guessing an inspector mark?

On the left side of the stock in the groove on the forearm is this letter "h" or "y". It's large, about 1/2 inch tall. Not sure who or where would have used it.

The very forward part of the triggerguard.

The top of the tang at the rear where the bolt enters the receiver.

This is the only mark left on the stock that I can see, it's on the left side, it's so warn down you can't even feel it. I was wondering if it's the faint image of "MP" and "8" under it but the gun is pretty nice to be a Spanish Civil War gun.

The front sight is from a 91/30, the barrel length is still original at 31 inches. The front barrel band also has a Izhevsk stamp on it (pre-1928).

There are no Finnish markings on it that I can tell, I see no SA stamping on it anywhere. The rear sight is still in Arshins and the numbers have not been crossed out and no new numbers are stamped on the right side.

At the range the rifle does very well. The first group of five which shot low was 1982 dated surplus ammo, the second group which was pretty much point of aim was Brown Bear 174 grain.

At 100 yards I aimed a little higher and pulled one round low, these were also Brown Bear.

ffuries

Re: Just acquired a Remington made Mosin Nagant with some strange stampings

Post by ffuries »

The one number looks like a social security number with the letter "A" after it. Years ago people, especially in the military marked their property with their SSN. My dad had all his stereo components and our TV maked with his SSN.
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
David LaPell

Post by David LaPell »

ffuries wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:50 pm The one number looks like a social security number with the letter "A" after it. Years ago people, especially in the military marked their property with their SSN. My dad had all his stereo components and our TV makes with his SSN.
I was able to do a SSN look up using this number without the "A" prefix, and that number belonged to a woman named Alice. Not saying a woman couldn't have owned this gun, but it sounds like it would be a long shot.
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

The number may be related to a hunting license or driver license number.

I'd replace the front sight globe with an original blade so it will raise the point of impact, which is off due to the mismatched sights.

Nice find!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

The rifle has a beautiful piece of walnut on it, the wood looks great. :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

That one is a keeper
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

40 in box (currently it is strike out) is marking of the repair depot in Bryansk, Russia. Was used in 1930's.Capital Д is acceptance marking from the same depot
https://www.m9130.info/repair-depot-markings

willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Ratnik wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:24 am 40 in box (currently it is strike out) is marking of the repair depot in Bryansk, Russia. Was used in 1930's.Capital Д is acceptance marking from the same depot

Is that also why there is a "P" on the tang? I was told the "P" signifies a repair.
Mosin Fanboy
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Homer2 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:24 pm The number may be related to a hunting license or driver license number.

I'd replace the front sight globe with an original blade so it will raise the point of impact, which is off due to the mismatched sights.

Nice find!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
You might get a little better group with the fine point sight also. I'm looking for one that stayed stateside, My great Grandpa was home guard commander here in WW1 and had 20 of them issued to his his unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

willyj73 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:40 am
Ratnik wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:24 am 40 in box (currently it is strike out) is marking of the repair depot in Bryansk, Russia. Was used in 1930's.Capital Д is acceptance marking from the same depot
Is that also why there is a "P" on the tang? I was told the "P" signifies a repair.
Depending from the location/context. Not always it indicates repair. In this particular case I think it's just a proofmark. Indication of the repair - repair depot marking on the barrel.
Similar pattern marking, but with intact "40 in box". besides, former Geco sniper
SAM_0005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.