Pietta and Uberti 1851 Colt Navy revolvers

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Pietta and Uberti 1851 Colt Navy revolvers

Post by bunkysdad »

I bought a Pietta 1851 Colt Navy then turned right around and did it again, this time a Uberti 1851, both steel frame 36 caliber 7 1/2" barrels. They both arrived the same day too. I sure like these handy feeling revolvers. I have shot a Ruger Old Army for many years, and a few months ago bought the Uberti Colt Walker, a massive pistol that is more than 2 pounds heavier than the Colt Navy 36. While both revolvers feel basically the same, and have very nicely fitted actions and triggers, there are a few interesting differences. The Pietta has the usual Pietta made in Italy black powder only markings and proof stamps along the barrel and frame. Also worth noting is the opening near the plunger on the right side, larger on the Pietta for easier placement of a .376" round ball or conical bullet. On the Uberti, there are no visible markings except for serial numbers, except for the stamping placed carefully under the bottom side of the barrel completely hidden by the loading lever. Color case hardening is a favorite of mine on a firearm and both of these display it well on the frame, hammer, and loading lever. Oh, and the opening is noticeably smaller on the plunger area of barrel on the Uberti. The Uberti was a used purchase and came with a revolver flask (15 gr powder spout) which is otherwise the same as my rifle flask (30 gr powder spout). Of course plenty of various size spouts can be bought separately.  It also came with a Ted Cash capper, which many consider the only way to go. I've never used one before but it sure seems to be made well. The most exciting accessory that was included was a special run Lee bullet mold, sold by Eras Gone that duplicates a pointed single lube groove conical 36 cal bullet like those used in the Civil War. It has a bullet base that is long enough to attach a flash paper cartridge with a 15-17 grain charge of fffg powder, ready to drop in and press down at the range. This I think I will enjoy. Image[/IMG]ImageImageImageImageImage

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Pietta and Uberti 1851 Colt Navy revolvers

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice collection :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt