First Shotgun Hog Kill

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Groundpounder

First Shotgun Hog Kill

Post by Groundpounder »

I have never hunted with a shotgun. I've always chosen times and places where a rifle was legal and in some cases (Africa) where it was really the only option. I wanted to take advantage of some Florida WMA options that would require a shotgun, but I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the kind of cabbage palm and brush stalking it would entail. A long shot in there is going to be 20 yards.
2020 Hog Mav 88.jpg
Off to the pawn shops of Palm Beach County, and I pick up this Maverick 88 for $140. I tracked this girl down in heavy brush and hit her at about 10 yards with 3 Inch 00, put her right down.

Today I acquired a Mossberg 500 with a 24 inch slug barrel and 28 Inch with multiple chokes. I'm sure I'll have plenty more harvests with the new gun, but that first shotgun hog will always be with that POS Maverick 88.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
Sonny

Re: First Shotgun Hog Kill

Post by Sonny »

Right on congrats. :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Was she tasty?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

Loins were huge.
- J Steinbeck
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Your gonna be impressed with the slug barrel. They are accurate as a rifle, and a 1 oz. slug hits with a big whop.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:58 pm Your gonna be impressed with the slug barrel. They are accurate as a rifle, and a 1 oz. slug hits with a big whop.
Speaking of slugs, anybody else remember hearing the Poomp when that slug pops out like a champaign cork ? I was shooting out of a modified vent rib when I heard it. Followed by instant Boom, but slower than a rifle.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Don't discount that Maverick. We used one at the LGS I used to work at as a rental. We cleaned it when it started to stick or act up (usually about once every 6 months) . It has been running well for years with quite a few rounds of OO Buck or 1oz. Slugs.
Congrats on the hog.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Ironnewt wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:34 pm Don't discount that Maverick. We used one at the LGS I used to work at as a rental. We cleaned it when it started to stick or act up (usually about once every 6 months) . It has been running well for years with quite a few rounds of OO Buck or 1oz. Slugs.
Congrats on the hog.
I asked somebody else, but will these slam fire like a Mod. 12 ?
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

We never had them do it unless the firing pin was jammed forward due to crud .
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

I'm a habitual maintainer of firearms, so I will never get to the point where I test its functional limits, but other people have told me that that you can use them for everything up to and including a canoe paddle and still expect them to function. I've been out with the 500/28 inch now and the Maverick is a lot handier. I'm going to do something I never thought I would and shoot them both at paper to see how big the spread is on the short barrel. It's just so darn handy, I'd hate to consign it to the home defense closet...
- J Steinbeck