1918 Tula M91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
willyj73

1918 Tula M91/30

Post by willyj73 »

I just received this rifle today and am currently cleaning it up--the stock still has a layer of grit mixed with grease. It's a pretty neat rifle. I was searching for something on an auction and decided to do a Mosin search. This popped up, and had no bids. It was a 1918 Tula M91 that was converted into a 91/30 (by Romania?). I've seen some of these conversions. This is the first I've owned. It seems a portion of the barrel was removed and was used as a sleeve. The photos show the weld marks to hold the front piece of the barrel. 91/30 rear sights were also welded on.
The rifle is pretty uncommon being a 1918 Tula PTG that still retains the Imperial eagle on the receiver and the barrel. Tang is dated 1918. The stock housed an Izhevsk receiver for a while (has an Izhevsk triangle/arrow imprint in the tang area). Bore looks like a typical well used Mosin--worn rifling that will probably still shoot well.
I currently only have the auction photos, but will get better photos this week and post them here.
The barrel has a БР marking on it. I was told this marking was a designation that the barrel was defective (Ratnik stated this on Facebook--I only mention his name because I know people are going to ask "who the hell told you that?!!").
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Re: 1918 Tula M91/30

Post by willyj73 »

Photos of the barrel and rear sight welds. You can (possibly) see the line where the front of the barrel is sleeved over the cut off portion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Very cool Mosin; congratulations on the find.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Pretty cool gun. I remember seeing this one too. Could have been a Dragoon too with both sets of sights replaced... This rear sight is identically done as in my 1920 Tula RSFSR 91/59...
IMG_1116.JPG
I don't think this work was done in Romania... They wouldn't have messed with the sights.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

qz2026 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:52 am Pretty cool gun. I remember seeing this one too. Could have been a Dragoon too with both sets of sights replaced... This rear sight is identically done as in my 1920 Tula RSFSR 91/59...
IMG_1116.JPG
I don't think this work was done in Romania... They wouldn't have messed with the sights.
Tula didn't start making Dragoon rifles until 1923. I contacted the seller. He bought it as one of the Romanian imports from Century Arms. I don't know if the actual M91 to M91/30 conversion was done in Romania though.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I was able to take some photos today. A few interesting things are the "X" marks on the rifle. There are two on the left side of the barrel, one on the receiver, one on the tang, and one on the rear sight. The remaining bluing on the rifle is a very flat black color. Rear sight base is stamped with an "8" on the left side and "3" on the right. Receiver has the Imperial eagle and is dated 1918.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Barrel has two witness marks and is not even around the receiver (the receiver sticks out from the barrel more on the left side than the right). I previously thought the roughness of the bore was old grease, but the bore is heavily pitted. Photo was taken in the same spot where the line from the barrel pieces are welded. I included a photo of the "3" stamp on the rear sight base.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Stock appears to have been home to a 1943 Izhevsk for a while prior to being a home for the Tula. Not sure of the origin of the serial numbers on the bolt. Cocking piece is Izhevsk, and appears to have had an older serial number ground off.
Mosin Fanboy