M-38 rescue

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

M-38 rescue

Post by steelbuttplate »

I hope it's not too altered to post here, but I got a '42 matching M38, front sight missing, the Handguard loose, magazine would not feed, and been sanded some. I had a nightmare about somebody turning it into a 16" Varmit rifle. So I got it, put some oil on it, a front sight, bedded 6" of the muzzle and tightened the screw on the magazine spring..... now it's a sanded M-38. Could have been worse. please don't shoot me. It printed a good group first five shots at 50 yd. The dog is a rescue also. She a mean girl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Re: M-38 rescue

Post by qz2026 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

You didn't sand it, if some "ultra-purist" gets on your case for making it a usable rifle, offer it to him for it's original cost, any parts you replaced and the cost of your labor to both fix it and to return it the condition it was in when purchased. As long as you don't try to pass it off as something it isn't, you're fine.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Ironnewt wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:41 pm You didn't sand it, if some "ultra-purist" gets on your case for making it a usable rifle, offer it to him for it's original cost, any parts you replaced and the cost of your labor to both fix it and to return it the condition it was in when purchased. As long as you don't try to pass it off as something it isn't, you're fine.
Yea, the only part I put on was the front sight, it's a matching/force matched M-38, and a decent shooter.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We only shoot you if YOU were the one to sand, chop, or whatever the rifle. Looks like it's doing OK.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

When I saw the first picture of the dog, I figured the dog got a hold of the rifle and chewed up the stock :chuckles: Glad you were able to rescue this M38.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I found a factory boo-boo while sighting in. The rear sight base is mounted 1 to 3 degrees off dead center to the left, making me push the front out of the base some to get it sighted in. It's pinned on like a bayonet bracket, right ? Has anybody ever had to correct one before ? This'n been throwing left handed curve balls all it's life, I'll bet it's why it got counter bored. It has better rifling than my non counter bored carbines.
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

IMHO.....screw (in or out) the barrel a tiny bit to get the rear sight pointing straight up. Of course, it'll need to be headspaced again and hopefully, the cartridge feeding won't be affected. When, you're done .....adjust the front sight again.

If it's still shooting badly....might just be a bent barrel adding to your woes.

Aloha, Mark
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Someone else screwed it up. It's not your fault. You gave it a good home and that's the best anybody could do. No fault on you.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I took the pin out of the rear sight base, put the sight base in a vise, and was able to turn the barrel with a 3 ft. wrecking bar stuck thru the receiver. After correcting it the hole for the pin didn't line up so I filled it full of silver solder and melted both ends. I was able to get the rifle sighted in after this.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

When I first read this quickly my mind saw a 91/59 with 91/30 sight, then I read you put the sight in a vice and twisted it with the receiver, WHAT? Then I looked at it again and saw what you did, sounds like you made a shooter.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Robertroadking wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:58 pm When I first read this quickly my mind saw a 91/59 with 91/30 sight, then I read you put the sight in a vice and twisted it with the receiver, WHAT? Then I looked at it again and saw what you did, sounds like you made a shooter.
That good ol' boy be pullin' your chain. :chain:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Longcolt44 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:05 pm
Robertroadking wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:58 pm When I first read this quickly my mind saw a 91/59 with 91/30 sight, then I read you put the sight in a vice and twisted it with the receiver, WHAT? Then I looked at it again and saw what you did, sounds like you made a shooter.
That good ol' boy be pullin' your chain. :chain:
No pulling of chain :vcool: Did. Done. Fixed. :hunter:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Don't even tell me it passed headspace.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Longcolt44 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 pm Don't even tell me it passed headspace.
I didn't change headspace, I was turning (rolling)the barrel within the rear sight bracket. 1-2 degrees at most. I had to go back and forth a few times to find the right zero spot, it's hard to turn without going too far. I then took it outside in a smaller vise and looked thru the bore at a vent pipe on a roof 150 yd away. The sights now line up on the same thing, I'm off to the range.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Does an M38 not have the big dovetail under the rear sight? I don't see how you could spin it if they do. I'm a bit confused.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:33 am Does an M38 not have the big dovetail under the rear sight? I don't see how you could spin it if they do. I'm a bit confused.
Beats me, I didn't remove it. I think just a pressed on / pinned sleeve. The movement I ended up with was evident by a fresh rusty/oily streak on the barrel. . It moved at least 5 degrees both ways so I'm guessing no dovetail.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That is one sad looking stock. It's amazing how some folks just have no common sense.

"Let's do some gunsmithun' today bubba... We will make that thar ol' Commie Gun look awful purdy". :roll:

You saved it from the gates of hell... At least it's still a shooter that doesn't look too bad.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"