M39 advice

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Metalman73

M39 advice

Post by Metalman73 »

Hey everybody. New to the forum and could use some advice. Been looking for an M39 for awhile and finally found one at a local shop. 1942 B barrel in pretty nice shape. They are asking $650.
I see them ranging anywhere from $400 to $750 and up. Is $650 too much? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M39 advice

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, honestly don't know anymore. I bought mine when they were under $200 even for the unissued one. $650 sounds fantastic in case I ever decide to sell off some, but I would only pay that myself if I didn't have any at all, and it would be a collection of one rifle, not the selection I currently have. I monitor gunbroker.com when I want to price something. I see what people are asking for something, and if they are actually selling at these prices ( have bids) Others who have bought more recently can chime in with advice.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've seen a few sell up around a thousand. Mostly $ 600-800. You don't see B barrels come up for sale, rarely. Assembled post war I think Is what I read.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is worth what you are willing to pay to own one. Whether it will be a sound investment would require a functioning crystal ball. One thing is certain, they ain't making any more of them.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Gregthejeepdriver

Post by Gregthejeepdriver »

Tough decision.But,if the money was in my pocket,and the bore looked great,I would try to offer a little less or try to get a few boxes of ammo out of the deal.The finns are certainly going way up in price since I was on my mosin purchasing spree.
capt14k

M39 advice

Post by capt14k »

$650 is too much. $500 at best. Yeah some have sold for more but usually they are plum. Also seen them sell for $400 recently. Right now Finns are either selling crazy high for perfect or rare examples or much lower than they were 2 years ago. I recently compiled a list and there were M39 and M91 under $300, and M27 and M28 under $350. There were also ones over $1,000.

M39 B Barrell specifically on my list from the last month there was a $450 sale and $635 sale but the $635 looked plum. Nothing different about them except the bluing was rushed. People just seem to be willing to pay more for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Price strikes me as a bit high but if you walk in with cash and wheel and deal, you should be able to make a better deal. Helps if you deal with this guy on any kind of regular basis. Good luck either way.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Fledge

Post by Fledge »

B Barrels generally get a bit more. I think I bought mine for $425 a few years ago, but prices have increased. I see some crazy sale prices on Gunbroker though. I would think you can get one cheaper locally, but everyone looks at the sales on the internet now.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have a couple of B Barrels any of which I will sell for $650 or more. Now you get down to the fact I bought them for about $110 when JYD bought his and you see why! Timing is pretty important with collector rifles as you see. I set prices on what it would cost me to replace it these days. If it is $650 I'll sell it to you for $650 or $700 if I can.
Certain collectors will try and buy anything to a set price and no higher. If they find a motivated seller that will work for them over and over. I look at it this way that B barrel ain't eating a thing in my safe is it? It's fun to shoot every once in awhile and even though the plum color is a sign of a poor military blue job it adds value because collectors want it. Yeah I know it ain't fair but such is life I guess! I have bought an unrecognized B barrel in the last 6 months for around $300 so they are out there. Just got to know which auction services or sellers don't research at all or very little to find them. When you are well known and been around as long as dirt like me and JYD things find you. Bill :D
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

If JYD or Zeebill will sell you a B Barrel buy it. It's worth it just to see them part with something. Plus at least you know they have had them before they were worth anything and thus are not messed with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome to the board, honestly don't know anymore. I bought mine when they were under $200 even for the unissued one. $650 sounds fantastic in case I ever decide to sell off some, but I would only pay that myself if I didn't have any at all, and it would be a collection of one rifle, not the selection I currently have. I monitor gunbroker.com when I want to price something. I see what people are asking for something, and if they are actually selling at these prices ( have bids) Others who have bought more recently can chime in with advice.
If you are pricing some stuff up to sell I'm still looking for a nice matching Lithgow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I dare say lies have been muttered here because I guarantee you Bill not JYD is selling Jack! Now, if you can get that rifle for no less than 650.00 then you have to decide how bad you want it. In my opinion it is selling for a fair price for someone who wants a fine Finn rifle so they can enjoy having it and shooting it. But it is not the price that you would go online and brag to your buddies about just to be bragging. Personally I'd probably be willing to buy it.