Winchester trainer

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Winchester trainer

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am looking at a Winchester .22 trainer with the Lyman sights at a local shop. Bolt action with one five round magazine. The rifle is pretty nice except for a quarter size gounge on the stock. The seller is asking $350.00. Should I buy, walk or run?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Winchester trainer

Post by millman »

What is the model? Go here and you can find out what you need to know. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
IMHO $350 for an old bolt action .22 sounds high.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I believe that is is a model 75.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You are paying for the name, it's a nice rifle, but Marlin, and Mossberg both make .22's that are just as good, and a lot cheaper. Put four M1's on the table, Springfield, IHC, H&R, and Winchester, all identical except for the names, Winchester will be the highest priced despite IHC's lower production.Winchester collectors abound, and they will keep the prices higher. I forgot Remington, they made some nice .22's also, but again, the name thing. Forget about Rugers bolt action .22, the 77/22, I have one that came to me with an estate lot of guns, but shit, $500-$700 or more? That is not a price I would pay for a rifle that is scope only.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I stand corrected, I looked up the 77/22 and found a few in the $1000 range. I looked at it again, yea, nice rifle, but I just don't see the thousand bucks in there.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am well fixed for 22s. My interest is the history as a possible military trainer. Am I off base here?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Check this out Steve, then make up your mind. https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/win ... 06640.html
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I looked it up. $350 is below what they are asking on GB. $350 is also not a bad price for a heavy barrel target rifle.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

For better or worse, I bought the rifle. I just couldn't leave it there. I have this theory that a man can not have too many .22s. This old model 75 had suffered from a long time of neglect and abuse. It was not a military rifle, and was made in 1947. There was a lot of rust, a lot of dirt and assorted crud, and a fair amount of stock issues. The big ding on the Right hand of the stock was a mouse chew. I couldn't let the little teeth marks remain on the otherwise decent piece of Walnut. I sanded out and blended the area around the teeth marks and cleaned and oiled the whole stock. Once the rust was removed and all of the small parts went through my ultrasonic cleaner it was improving rapidly. A little oil on some 0000 steel wool to beat down the rust and the the bluing looked pretty good. The bore and crown are fine, and it should be a decent shooter; something I intend to determine after I do my other chores today.

The rifle is all original except for the front sight. The sight had been replaced with a poor-fitting modern sight. I shimmed it in with some soda can aluminum and got it tight and stable. Scouring the web does not turn out many parts for these old rifles so the front sight may remain after-market for some time. I would really like to get the correct sight and correct Winchester sling, but that probably isn't going to happen.

This series of rifles played second fiddle to the Winchester model 52, but they had some pretty nice features; bull barrel, nice fitting stock, adjustable trigger,(and a fine trigger it is) adjustable sling position, and adjustable stock tension for the front barrel band. They also came with either Redfield or Lyman diopter sights, this one has the Lyman. Some of these rifles came drilled and tapped from the factory for a scope, this is one of them. I found a set of bases that came off of one of these for sale on Ebay. The seller wants $70.00 for them so I think I will pass. It has gone this long without a scope, it appears that the screws filling the holes have never been turned. it can remain that way. The truth of the matter is, is that the diopter sights work fine for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: After seeing it, I think you did well.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

tjtM38 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 am :thumbsup: :thumbsup: After seeing it, I think you did well.
+1

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Ya did a damn fine job, love those peep sights.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A friend tells me to expect two Winchester .22's soon , he mentioned a model 75 semi auto. He doesn't know shit about non current military weapons so who knows what I will get. All he is sure about is both are Winchester.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I took the old rifle out to the bench yesterday to set the sights. It took about 50 rounds, but I got that thing dialed in nicely. It was quick an easy to get on target after it was adjusted. I was only shooting at about 40 yards, but I was hitting a 3/4" dot consistently. The squirrels around my range, who have not shown me any particular respect in the past, were packing up and moving out when they saw the rifle in action......
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think you did pretty well. There is one out on auction now that is already $100 higher than you paid with 10 days to go. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Looks nice after clean up