1928 Lithgow Enfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

1928 Lithgow Enfield

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have been collecting Enfields for over 10 years since I bought my first one online from Pat Burns. I currently have 14 different models from different arsenals or countries. I had a model from the Lithgow arsenal but recently came upon a nicer model to upgrade the collection.

Shown here is a 1928 Australian Enfield made at their Lithgow arsenal that I recently bought for $225.00. This rifle has not only been there, done that, got two t-shirts and a team jacket. Enfield is known for their prolific use of inspector's stamps and they did a fine job of using them on this rifle. It looks like the first FTR,(Factory Through Repair), visit back to the arsenal is evidenced by the 1942 branding stamp on the buttstock. Other stamps on the Knox form and receiver show revisits in 1952 and 1953. Another stamp on the Knox form shows the bore got a polish job done on one of the visits at some point. The capital “D^D stamp shows this rifle has been downgraded to a second class firearm, not to be used by front line soldiers. The bore is dark but has strong rifling and a headspace check just barely passes a field gage check. By reading all the stamps it is very possible this rifle got heavy use during WWII and up until the Korean War. I can't think of another countries rifle other than the Enfield that its history and use can be traced by its inspection stamps. Enjoy.
1928 Lithgow Enfield 006.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 006b.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 001.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 002.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 003.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 004.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 005.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 005c.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1928 Lithgow Enfield

Post by Longcolt44 »

more pictures.
1928 Lithgow Enfield 005a.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 006.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 006b.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 007.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 008.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 009.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 010.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 011.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 012.JPG
1928 Lithgow Enfield 013.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

NIce!

I only have two smelly rifles. A '43 Longbranch and a '42 Lithgow. I would like to add a carbine.

I am rereading McBride's book, A Rifleman Went To War. He is an American who wanted to get into WWI so bad that he gave up a commission in the American Army and joined the Canadians as a private to get in the fight. McBride was a competitive shooter before the war and kept up his target practice on Germans. (He did not like Germans....) Although he was a machine gunner by trade, he never missed a chance to do some long range sniping and he was given pretty much a free hand to pursue his "sport."

McBride started out the war with a Ross and was not particularly happy when they got issued the Enfield. He talks in detail comparing the various rifles, including the Springfield. He was mightily impressed by a German captive's rifle that was a "sporterized" Mauser that was short, lightweight and handy, what he thought all military rifles should be. He goes off on a tangent about why soldiers should not be issued with semi-auto rifles, believing that there would be no way to keep the troops supplied with enough ammo. I guess he just couldn't imagine the logistic prowess that was coming in the Second World War. McBride also has a lot to say about bayonets, handguns; bayonets he despised, but felt that every man on the sharp end should have one. He had quite an affection for the 1911. He claimed that the whole time he was in France he only fired seven rounds from that .45, but he said he was damn glad to have it when he shot those seven rounds. It reminded me of carrying around a bulky, heavy .45 for years and never needing it.

The book is a fine read for anyone with an interest in the First World War.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Love it. Nice score.