1916 Sestroryetsk M91 Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
RazorBurn

1916 Sestroryetsk M91 Mosin Nagant

Post by RazorBurn »

I picked this 1916 Sestroryetsk M91 up earlier today. I was pretty surprised as I've never come across a Sestroryetsk before. It is "F" marked below the serial number and the serial number is stamped on the left side of the receiver like Finnish one's are and it looks like it has a gear stamp on the left rear of the stock. The bolt and floor plate are mismatched numbers. This one looks like a Finnish capture to me but there is no "SA" stamp and the stock is not a two piece stock either.

The bore has pretty good looking lands and grooves but needs a good cleaning to determine the exact condition. The stock has a couple of hair line cracks at the butt plate and on the left side of the receiver so I doubt I'll ever shoot it any to speak of. The metal looks good for it's age and hopefully I'll come across a hand guard and cleaning rod one of these years so I can set her back to right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1916 Sestroryetsk M91 Mosin Nagant

Post by Longcolt44 »

An absolutely great catch.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

It looks like a real nice one. Congrats.
conmcb25

Post by conmcb25 »

Very Nice!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TulaTom and I were at a gun show several years ago and I was able to pick up a very nice one too. I liked that it had nice and crisp shank stamps on it and it was in wonderful condition. The guy had it priced absurdly so I made him an offer for it, a bit high but not totally out of the ballpark, and he immediately agreed to it meaning I could have offered much less for it but was stuck with my offer. Tom and I looked at each other with that "oh shit" look. We both still laugh about that one...
1 - ID Finn M-91 1915 Sestoryetsk sn 52712 C&R.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

What does everyone think about my thinking that it's Finn'd? If it had an "SA" stamp I'd be convinced it is. I just don't see it being "F" stamped and not Finn myself.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I have a couple Balkan m91s with an F suffix. I've seen another with the F under the serial like yours. What does the font on the other parts look like? Typically the "balkan" imports have a tall narrow looking font.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

RazorBurn wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 pm What does everyone think about my thinking that it's Finn'd? If it had an "SA" stamp I'd be convinced it is. I just don't see it being "F" stamped and not Finn myself.
F stamp on Finn rifles only applies to m-27's, made at a Finnish factory. I think the F in this case is an unknown. Nice rifle :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

racerguy00 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 pm I have a couple Balkan m91s with an F suffix. I've seen another with the F under the serial like yours. What does the font on the other parts look like? Typically the "balkan" imports have a tall narrow looking font.
I'll get some better pictures of the other parts tomorrow if the rain holds off. Anywhere in particular to show?
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Finn or Balkans, it is a very nice rifle. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Another fan here. The Sestroryetsk marking is my favorite Mosin logo. Congratulations on a very nice find.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Given the scrubbed imperial crest above the Sestroryetsk crest along with the missing cleaning rod and the F stamp I'd say you almost certainly have a Balkan import there as those are all traits of one. It also has its original Russian "barrleycorn" front sight, something the Finn's almost always replaced on M91's in their service.
Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

Another vote for a Romanian import. Scrubbed crest is a factor. Does it have the sheet metal wedge added to the rear sight?
entropy

Post by entropy »

I was about to go postal on Rongo for a second-it looks that much like mine! (Which is in Rongo's safe waiting to be rescued-soon!) Mine has both Imperial eagles though, so not mine. Nice looking '16 Sestroryetsk!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

racerguy00 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 pm I have a couple Balkan m91s with an F suffix. I've seen another with the F under the serial like yours. What does the font on the other parts look like? Typically the "balkan" imports have a tall narrow looking font.
Here are some more pictures of the other numbered parts. Sounds like the consensus is that it's Balkan. Where the rear sight didn't have the arshin's marked out that made me think it may not be Finnish. I didn't know the Balkan one's were marked on their barrels with the "F" mark so it's cool learning new things.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Opps, I see what is likely a couple Bulgarian pine cone stamping in the left finger groove... Also, a little research at http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSerial.htm you will see:
Letter suffixes follow some serial numbers. These are typically found on M91s from the Balkans and are thought to have been added by other countries. They are not part of the original numbers... "F", most common of the letter suffixes
Ser007.jpg
Although your "F" is under the serial number, I suggest that it is a suffix, - just on the next line. I don't find this out of the realm of possibility. And the font looks strikingly familiar on both. Case closed... Balkan M-91.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

qz2026 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:59 pm Opps, I see what is likely a couple Bulgarian pine cone stamping in the left finger groove... Also, a little research at http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSerial.htm you will see:
Letter suffixes follow some serial numbers. These are typically found on M91s from the Balkans and are thought to have been added by other countries. They are not part of the original numbers... "F", most common of the letter suffixes
Ser007.jpg

Although your "F" is under the serial number, I suggest that it is a suffix, - just on the next line. I don't find this out of the realm of possibility. And the font looks strikingly familiar on both. Case closed... Balkan M-91.
You know I feel like Helen Keller right now because I knew to look for pine cones. I just never paid attention and did not saw them there. Thanks for pointing them out to me! :thumbsup:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The font on the mag's serial number is the same as I see on lots of the Balkan m91s. The bolt is a little different. Two letter prefix with a 5 digit number.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.