New Mosin Nagant Owner

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rickleclair

New Mosin Nagant Owner

Post by rickleclair »

Hey all, I just got a crate Mosin Nagant 91/30 a week or so ago. It was built in 1938 in Tula,Russia. I spent a few days getting to know her inside and out during the cosmoline removal! Overall the exterior of the rifle is in what I consider very good condition, as well as all the metal. I found no corrosion or heavy marring anywhere. Visually, the barrel is also in very good shape, no damage noted. The crown of the barrel looks new. The barrel slugs at .3125.

I went to the range today with her and some factory ammo, Sellier & Bellot 180 grain training ammo (ball ammo) - and - I fell in love! At 25 yards windage was pretty much right on but, as expected, she shot about 4" high. This trend continued at 50 and 100 yards, with elevation being high @ 8" at 50 yards and @16" at 100 yards.

Then I remembered reading that the bayonet changed the accuracy of the rifle, so I installed it. At 25 yards she shot about .5" high and about .5" left, with a 5 shot group less than 1", wow, what a difference. Then I went out to 100 yards and the trend continued. She shot about 2" high and 2" left. With a 5 shot group being in the neighborhood of 3". I was very impressed with the rifle. I didn't bother to adjust the windage as I haven't settled on an ammo yet as I plan to reload and shoot cast bullets.

One thing I found interesting. With no ammo in the magazine, the trigger pull is very long and heavy towards the end. But with the mag loaded and shooting the rifle the pull is very short and smooth - I really like it. Does this seem unusual?

Second, I am a fairly well experienced re-loader, not an expert by any stretch. I have cast some Lee C312-185-1R. They dropped @ .314. I powder coated them and sized to .314 with a gas check, again, barrel slugged at .3125. Well, I tried the Lee Loader in 7.62X54R and the .314 bullet wont fit in the Lee Loader. I really want to neck size only, but Lee doesn't make a neck collet die in this caliber, but will custom make one for me. Or, I could buy their full length sizing die and full length size for about half as much money. Does anyone have any input on reloading the larger bullets for 7.62X54R?

This is a little long winded, but I am very excited! Thanks in advance!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: New Mosin Nagant Owner

Post by Darryl »

Well, what we all say here is ...... It don't exist without photos! :chuckles:

Welcome to the forums.

Darryl
rickleclair

Post by rickleclair »

Sorry, here we go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board. Problem with Mosin accuracy tends to be more shooter related than weapon at fault. Many shooters have limited to no experience with milsurp weapons, or just no experience with weapons at all. They see video's on youtube were the shooter groups 1MOA at 200 yards and doesn't understand why their weapon doesn't do the same. Never a thought that maybe the shooter has decades of experience, and probably training to be able to do what they do. Weapons can also be tweaked with some simple tricks like shims under the action Finn style, or handloads worked up for just that rifle. Back when I was shooting a lot I could get 1-2 MOA at 100-150 yards with Finn M39's and commie surplus ammo, but I was shooting cases of the stuff all the time. Ordinary 91/30's could, and often did surprise me with 2MOA, or a more average 3-4 MOA with same cheap commie surplus ammo. I handload for my LeBel, and a whole bunch of black powder cartridge rifles, but I never got into it with the Mosins. Surplus ammo was cheap, and I had tons of it ( not kidding) Nowdays I shoot mostly my BPC's and .22's , but I know some of the guys on here reload for the Mosin.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

rickleclair wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:00 am One thing I found interesting. With no ammo in the magazine, the trigger pull is very long and heavy towards the end. But with the mag loaded and shooting the rifle the pull is very short and smooth - I really like it. Does this seem unusual?
No. But you can find all sorts of different "pulls" on Mosin rifle.

I think most of us reload with either .311 or .312 bullets. It depends so much on the rifle and the power you are using. Find what seems to work best and then play with the powers and amount. Each rifle will react different with the same round.

There are others here that know a lot more then I do about reloading these rifles. I may be wrong, but they will fill in if I am.

But its great to see another "fan" of the rifle.

Darryl
conmcb25

Post by conmcb25 »

That's a nice looking rifle!
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

Sweet looking Mosin man, I have a couple myself. I have the same Lee mold, mine drops at .3125. I got it down to 2 MOA @ 100yards, but it took a bit of getting used to the Mosin itself. But both my Mosins slugged at .311 so that works for me. Can't help with the Lee Loader, I don't have the loader for 7.62X54R.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!