Finnish M-39, Sk.Y, what is fair market value

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
capt14k

Re: Finnish M-39, Sk.Y, what is fair market value

Post by capt14k »

What about the no maker no date? Assembled here or in Finland? If Finland assembled just to surplus and/or make busy work? The reason I ask here is no one seems to find them in Finland. Same goes for M/39 Tikka and of course M24rv aren't found in Finland. The M24rv I have been told is a fantasy piece. The others there doesn't seem definitive proof one way or the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That took some looking , photobucket is not easy to navigate unless you buy one of their packages. I haven't uploaded new content in many years so why start paying now. This is that '67 with the sand, it's representative of the others, first lot when I first got it and opened it up, second after cleaning. Some of the comments may exist in one of my hundreds of videos on youtube, others were in the old message system that was too easy to use so they went and changed thing once all the google crap started. I don't recall specifics of unit, the rifles themselves were the focus of the conversation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This was from three weeks ago on the 1967 video, figures I remember a post from six or seven years back, and forget one from less than a month ago.

https://youtu.be/2WfKI9mGor4

Petri Syrjä-Kokkila
3 weeks ago (edited)

We have a conscript army. I served 1987-1988 as a group leader in signal core. Until 1991 my men would have been issued m39 and myself m31 submachine gun if war had started.

Hide replies

RockIsland1913

3 weeks ago

I didn't realize they were in regular issue that late, I have been told by some army veterans that they used the M39 for marksmanship training in the early 1980's but were issued something else later. Finland could have been the last army on the planet still issuing bolt action rifles to troops in the 1990's. The M39 is an excellent rifle, but I would not have wanted to face off with an enemy using fully automatic weapons with it . Fortunately there was no war, not yet anyway.

Petri Syrjä-Kokkila
3 weeks ago (edited)

@RockIsland1913 You are right in that sense that our conscript army all had modern assault rifles and the m39 rifles were just on the side in limited use. But if the war had broken we did not have enough rk 62s. They would have been given to the direct frontline battle troops. Our wartime army with the reserves is about 10 time larger than peacetime 50 000/ 500 000. 1991 we had enough assault rifles for everybody after buing 400 000 ak's from East Germany. Now we have enough our own thank god. I'm happy that you like our m39's. Good videos.
Read more

Petri Syrjä-Kokkila
3 weeks ago

@RockIsland1913 Yeah, tell me about it. Fighting against foreign paratroopers with m39's and m31's. Well, finnish soldier never retreats - He just makes full turn and advances again...
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At the time of the video I still thought the sand and grease were some form of bedding given the solid packing of the sand, so I presented it as unissued. It was later pointed out to me that ranges had sandbags, and sandbags leak sand that ends up inside rifles. I still wonder if the sand and grease aren't some form of bedding given that I found the identical mess under so many rifles actions.
Theodore Roosevelt
conmcb25

Post by conmcb25 »

almost 900 for a real nice SAKO (not a Sk.Y) . Nice Tiger Sako correct stock. Very nice shape. Nice gun but again too much for me.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

conmcb25 wrote:almost 900 for a real nice SAKO (not a Sk.Y) . Nice Tiger Sako correct stock. Very nice shape. Nice gun but again too much for me.
For whatever reason an all matching SAKO in a correct stock is bringing in top dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

capt14k wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:36 pm What about the no maker no date? Assembled here or in Finland? If Finland assembled just to surplus and/or make busy work? The reason I ask here is no one seems to find them in Finland.
There were only a few thousands of m/39 rifles assembled from spare parts during the 1960s and 1970s. Most of these were probably imported into the United States mostly by CIA (Century International Arms) between 1995 and 2001.
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:13 pm Petri Syrjä-Kokkila
3 weeks ago (edited)

We have a conscript army. I served 1987-1988 as a group leader in signal core. Until 1991 my men would have been issued m39 and myself m31 submachine gun if war had started.
I don't know how he would know this if he hadn't specifically told this during his time as a conscript. Certainly he wasn't trained using a m/39 or m/31 as his primary weapon in 1987-1988.
3 weeks ago (edited)

Our wartime army with the reserves is about 10 time larger than peacetime 50 000/ 500 000. 1991 we had enough assault rifles for everybody after buing 400 000 ak's from East Germany.
Finland bought only 100,000 MPi-K (AK-47) from East Germany in 1991, not 400,000 as claimed. These replaced the 75,000 Sten and around 50,000 Suomi KP/31 submachine guns still in storage. Also, further 100,000 Type 56-2 were bought from China in 1995. The current wartime strength is only 280,000 men.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mangrove wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:11 am
capt14k wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:36 pm What about the no maker no date? Assembled here or in Finland? If Finland assembled just to surplus and/or make busy work? The reason I ask here is no one seems to find them in Finland.
There were only a few thousands of m/39 rifles assembled from spare parts during the 1960s and 1970s. Most of these were probably imported into the United States mostly by CIA (Century International Arms) between 1995 and 2001.
3 weeks ago (edited)

I don't know how he would know this if he hadn't specifically told this during his time as a conscript. Certainly he wasn't trained using a m/39 or m/31 as his primary weapon in 1987-1988.
3 weeks ago (edited)

Our wartime army with the reserves is about 10 time larger than peacetime 50 000/ 500 000. 1991 we had enough assault rifles for everybody after buing 400 000 ak's from East Germany.
Finland bought only 100,000 MPi-K (AK-47) from East Germany in 1991, not 400,000 as claimed. These replaced the 75,000 Sten and around 50,000 Suomi KP/31 submachine guns still in storage. Also, further 100,000 Type 56-2 were bought from China in 1995. The current wartime strength is only 280,000 men.
I put in the link to the video, you can question the guy directly in the comments section of the video.
Theodore Roosevelt
conmcb25

Post by conmcb25 »

Well if nothing else, my astonishment at prices has started a cool discussion :) I learned a thing or two.

I am working on a couple below $500 bucks.