Dick's

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Dick's

Post by Darryl »

"Dick's Sporting Goods CEO says company destroyed $5 million worth of weapons"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dick's

Post by Rongo »

Good for him; It's a free country he can do that... And I can choose not to shop there too. I heard Dicks lost around $750,000,000.00 since they took that stance & anounced they will most likely stop selling ALL guns & ammo within the year. Great business plan I guess; They can sell balls & jockstraps instead... I hope they know what to use THOSE for. :roll:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never shopped there and now never will.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:56 pm Never shopped there and now never will.
:pointup: Maybe they should change the name to " Penis's". :wink: (shorties). "Dickless". "Dickhead's". "Schlongs sporting".
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:56 pm Never shopped there and now never will.
Ditto... :angry4:
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Haven't shopped there in years. I also minimize my patronage of Walmart but not for 2A related reasons.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Rongo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:49 pm Good for him; It's a free country he can do that... And I can choose not to shop there too. I heard Dicks lost around $750,000,000.00 since they took that stance & anounced they will most likely stop selling ALL guns & ammo within the year. Great business plan I guess; They can sell balls & jockstraps instead... I hope they know what to use THOSE for. :roll:
No one that shops at Dick's needs a jockstrap.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

sheepdog wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:55 am
Rongo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:49 pm Good for him; It's a free country he can do that... And I can choose not to shop there too. I heard Dicks lost around $750,000,000.00 since they took that stance & anounced they will most likely stop selling ALL guns & ammo within the year. Great business plan I guess; They can sell balls & jockstraps instead... I hope they know what to use THOSE for. :roll:
No one that shops at Dick's needs a jockstrap.
:chuckles:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

He should be sued by shareholders for purposefully destroying store inventory and the DICK brand name. :lol:

It's like Exxon Mobile's CEO protesting climate change by lighting their gasoline on fire. :roll:
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

Now the CEO is trying to peddle a book he had written about his great stand. :roll:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't get it, does this guy intentionally want to sink his company by alienating his customer base? It's one thing to quietly stop selling something, but to boast about it when the majority of his customers are likely hunters and gun owners? Like MacDonald's starting an anti beef campaign and removing burgers from the menu.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 am I don't get it, does this guy intentionally want to sink his company by alienating his customer base? It's one thing to quietly stop selling something, but to boast about it when the majority of his customers are likely hunters and gun owners? Like MacDonald's starting an anti beef campaign and removing burgers from the menu.
Apparently, his calculation was that he sold more product to non-gun people than to gun people. The local Dicks never had enough gun gear for me to go looking for stuff there. The gun area was not the busy part of the store, The customer base seemed to be young folks and it was clothing that got the traffic. If nothing else, you have to give the man credit for putting his money where his mouth is. He said that the decision would cost the store over a billion dollars.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In other words not a real sporting goods store, but a place were " dude's" buy the crap they wear when they are pretending to be outdoors and country types. Never even saw one of these stores so maybe they aren't in this area of the country. I have seen Cabela's, and they do sell guns, I would buy them but I am way to cheap to pay full retail on guns. I do buy other things from them, my hat came from Cabelas.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 am I don't get it, does this guy intentionally want to sink his company by alienating his customer base? It's one thing to quietly stop selling something, but to boast about it when the majority of his customers are likely hunters and gun owners? Like MacDonald's starting an anti beef campaign and removing burgers from the menu.
Apparently, his calculation was that he sold more product to non-gun people than to gun people. The local Dicks never had enough gun gear for me to go looking for stuff there. The gun area was not the busy part of the store, The customer base seemed to be young folks and it was clothing that got the traffic. If nothing else, you have to give the man credit for putting his money where his mouth is. He said that the decision would cost the store over a billion dollars.
Exactly. Dick's is not your "normal" Sporting Goods stores in the USA. He mainly sell sporting clothing, shoes, and a lot of Yuppy type sporting goods. Here in Calif you can't find a sporting goods store that is big into firearms. Even Walmat don't sell firearms or ammo here in Calif and never has. Most firearms people or owners know this and I have been in Dick's Sporting Goods maybe twice and they are less then 4 blocks from my house here.

So in these liberal states I think they gave up very little to nothing. But like stated above, it one thing to change your sales tactics, but it's another to stop selling something and destroy the inventory. As I see it, The people who made the firearms he destroyed could care less. They have sold those firearms and made their profit. They could care less because Dick's is not going to buy from them any more anyway.

He would have done more damage to the firearms makers by selling them off cheap and taking away future business from those makers. Instead, people deciding to buy one now has to go to a different dealer and buy a new made one. He did nothing to stop buying or slow it down at all. Only one who lost is anyone who has stock investments in Dick's. They lost a bunch of money. And who gave him the right to destroy inventory of a company with stock holders?
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:57 pm In other words not a real sporting goods store, but a place were " dude's" buy the crap they wear when they are pretending to be outdoors and country types.
YES, Exactly.

Darryl
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I'm betting he talked with his tax people so he could write off the items crushed.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

Shopped there twice. Once they had a great deal on some Winchester 380 Auto FMJ, $19 IIRC. Second I bought two hockey pucks for bench blocks. Won't ever shop there again. When he bailed on we 2A supporters he was telling me he doesn't need my business. So as a good thoughtful considerate guy I will oblige him and take my business elsewhere.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hockey pucks work great for installing crankshaft seals in the timing covers of big vintage American engines. I will not be getting them from the Dick of course.
Theodore Roosevelt