Odd mark on "new to me" M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vicnchan

Odd mark on "new to me" M44

Post by Vicnchan »

Does anyone know what the letters "KR" indicate? They are under the date and above the serial number but I havent a clue what they mean. There is also what appears to be a "3" to the right of the arsenal mark that i am unfamiliar with. The marks are on a 1947 Izhevsk M44.

Oh yeah, I'm new here so hello all!
Lavitias

Re: Odd mark on "new to me" M44

Post by Lavitias »

Pictures would help a lot on this quest and hello :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, yes, pictures, otherwise it's only speculation. Many of the smaller letter and number stamps on these rifles are unknown, and likely inspection stamps.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Vicnchan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:50 pm Does anyone know what the letters "KR" indicate? They are under the date and above the serial number but I havent a clue what they mean. There is also what appears to be a "3" to the right of the arsenal mark that i am unfamiliar with. The marks are on a 1947 Izhevsk M44.

Oh yeah, I'm new here so hello all!
I'm hoping the pictures show Ka . :cam2.gif: I'd kinda like to see that.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Keith Richards?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Importer translating the Cyrillic?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

CavemanSteve wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 pm Importer translating the Cyrillic?
That's my guess as well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Vicnchan

Post by Vicnchan »

Ok, not to sound like an idiot, but how do you post pictures?
Vicnchan

Post by Vicnchan »

Think I figured it out. I didnt notice it before, but there is another mark I am not familiar with just above the Crest; any ideas?
20191006_125712.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vicnchan

Post by Vicnchan »

20191006_192630.jpg
so all of the number match EXCEPT the one on the left side if the receiver. Could the extra "marks" above the serial number on top of the receiver be the importer "correcting" a mistake when they stamped the side of the receiver? Note how similar the KR stampings are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The KR marks were put on here by the importer.The Russians did not stamp the serial on the receiver. US law mandates a serial on the receiver, so the importer translated the KP to KR and stamped it on the receiver.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Vicnchan

Post by Vicnchan »

millman wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 am The KR marks were put on here by the importer.The Russians did not stamp the serial on the receiver. US law mandates a serial on the receiver, so the importer translated the KP to KR and stamped it on the receiver.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. Any idea about the mark above the crest or the "3" beside the arsenal mark?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I don't know what the other marks are. Many marks are unknown.

C. S. Lewis