Question re: steel case and bi-metal 54R ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
24 ID

Question re: steel case and bi-metal 54R ammo

Post by 24 ID »

Hello all,

Concerning Soviet surplus 54R with the steel case, as well as current Wolf Extra Match which IIRC has a bi-metal case:

Will regular shooting of these types of ammunition gradually degrade the accuracy of my Mosins?

Right now I am sticking with new production Prvi and S & B ammo, as these have brass cases + copper jackets, but I have a lot of surplus and would like to shoot it.

Thanking you in advance for any guidance... :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Question re: steel case and bi-metal 54R ammo

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, I have shot countless thousands of rounds with no issues. Remember that the surplus is corrosive primed, so long as you clean for this after each shooting session you will have no problems. Hot water down the pipe and over the follower and bolt head before regular cleaning with solvents and oil will prevent bore rusting from the salts. Frequent, and initially vigorous chamber cleaning is usually needed to prevent the steel cases from sticking in the chamber when it heats up. Welcome to the board. Only problem with surplus ammo is it's current cost, no longer ten cents or less a round.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've got two, have had several Chinese SKS that have had thousands of rounds of copper washed steel case shot in them, they weren't hurt at all on the inside.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
24 ID

Post by 24 ID »

Okay, great! Thank you, Gentlemen! :)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

These rifles were made to shoot that type of ammo. If there was a huge issue with it, I think the Russians would not have used it. They were poor and wanted things to last. Relatively poor I should say.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

I have burned through one spam can and I'm working on another and there has been no ill affect. Like JYD said, clean the bore, follower and bolt face right after each range session. I had a friend on another site who posted pics of a bolt face that had been pitted by the salts. It was in pretty bad shape.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I don't think one using a Mosin for sport or target shooting could live long enough to hurt it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!