Chicken season 2019

Sonny

Chicken season 2019

Post by Sonny »

Chicken season opened on the first and since then I've been out three times and only have one spruce grouse to show for my efforts. :vsad:

Someone told me that the long cold wet spring was really harsh on this years eggs/chicks and I can believe that. It's either that or I didn't leave enough "seed" in my favourite hunting spots. lol

One guy on a local forum is always bragging about how many birds he is shooting. Yeah we all know a guy like that don't we? Pics or shut up. lol

Hope I can get into some soon and I'll post a pic if I do but if you guys get some birds post pics pls. :D
steelbuttplate

Re: Chicken season 2019

Post by steelbuttplate »

Sonny wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 pm Chicken season opened on the first and since then I've been out three times and only have one spruce grouse to show for my efforts. :vsad:

Someone told me that the long cold wet spring was really harsh on this years eggs/chicks and I can believe that. It's either that or I didn't leave enough "seed" in my favourite hunting spots. lol

One guy on a local forum is always bragging about how many birds he is shooting. Yeah we all know a guy like that don't we? Pics or shut up. lol

Hope I can get into some soon and I'll post a pic if I do but if you guys get some birds post pics pls. :D
The coon hunters club back in the 70's imported some brown color swamp coons from South Georgia. There were only larger black mountain coons here before and not many. The swamp coons are numerous now and NC Wildlife believes they are responsible for the demise of the Grouse and quail that used to be plentiful here, the coons finding and eating the nests.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chicken season 2019

Post by millman »

Coyotes usually get theblame around here for the lack of quail.They surely don't help, but I think the fact that no one traps here anymore (very few, nothing like 30 40 years agao.) means more predators in general. :2cents:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis