More Craziness

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
SA1911a1

More Craziness

Post by SA1911a1 »

A few months ago I bought a non-working antique clock because I thought it was cool. I got into the works and figured out the worst problem it had was it was a gunky greasy mess. I bought some carb cleaner, hosed the movement down, oiled it up and it ran....well like a clock. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to buy a non-working antique movement on ebay for a song and damn if I didn't make it work. So now I had a good movement, but no clock, so I bought a clock, swapped out the movement with a running one and after a couple of days I had another working movement. It is beginning to be a habit. The large clock with the movement exposed was purchased yesterday for $15.00 at a junk store it is from the 1890s and when I am through it will be fine.

I don't know jack about working on clocks and I don't have any of the thousands of dollars worth of tools it takes to do it right, but I am having a ball with something I can play with on the inside when it is so damn hot outside. Of course I am due for one that is badly broken instead of just dirty.

I is getting noisy around here at the top of the hour!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: More Craziness

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This can turn into an expensive collecting sideline. Someplace in my shi...collection of cool old stuff, I have an 1950's French field alarm clock. It's round, brass, has an actual pendulum inside the back, and still works. No bells, the case is struck by a little hammer inside to create the ding that wakes you. I have had many other clocks come and go, I still have two Soviet Navy submarine clocks. Real ones made during the time of the USSR, not the ones they made later for selling to American collectors. Difference is the markings.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I’ve been in the watch and clock collecting game too. I have a Seth Thomas wall clock that I need to have serviced and hung. According to the information I have on it, it was given to an ancestor as a wedding gift back in 1849.

One of my friends in Georgia has an antique tall case clock that was made by Simon Willard of Boston, Mass. The clock had documented prior ownership, having been owned for nearly two hundred years by numerous members of the Adams family of Boston. It was given by a member of the family to my friend’s father as partial repayment on a debt owed. He inherited it from his father and had it in his house. On rare occasions that I called on him at home, I saw the clock.

One day at work, he approached me and asked if I knew any experienced clock makers that could repair said clock. He reported that it had fallen over and was seriously damaged. When I saw the clock, I confirmed that it was very badly damaged. I asked him why the clock was not bolted to the wall-as well it should have been. He said he didn’t want to drill holes in the case, at which point I pointed out that the back of the case had several pre-existing holes. He literally turned white as a ghost when I pointed the holes out. I took photographs of the damage and told him I’d see what I could do for him.

At the next clock and watch club meeting, I showed the photos to a fellow member-probably the best antique clockmaker in the Southeast US at the time. He was willing to consider taking the job, so I made sure he and my friend got connected. Several months later, the clock was returned to my friend fully restored. He paid a very pretty penny for the work and was very happy with the quality. I examined it very closely and without knowing it’s history, you would not know that the clock had EVER been damaged. When the clock was returned, the clockmaker made certain that the case was anchored to the wall.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Just wait until you go "Cuckoo for Cuckoo Clocks", then we'll get worried. :biggrin:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pocket knifes, clocks, guns, binoculars, probably other cool shit. The fact is you are not a milsurp collector anymore, you are a hoarder collector of cool old shit just like me. There is a phone from 1910 on my workshed wall, Victrolas all over the place, vintage Buck knife on the table, Soviet submarine clock from the 60's on the barn wall, pile of 1930's and 40's Eifel geared Plierenches on top of my toolbox ( itself 80 years old) USA Dietz lanterns and glass oil lamps here and there, 20's and 30's Ford's outside, 1920's desk light illuminating this keyboard, typewriter from 1935 under the table with fresh ribbon in it, 1893 pocket watch ticking away on the bedside table, 125 year old Remington double gun behind the door, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks likea new fun hobby.

Not for me, no time and the wife would give me a world of grief. She's been bitching about my stuff for years... Everything from cars, guns and my favorite old air compressor I paid $10 for back in 1987. It works great, sits in the barn & I use it probably more than my big one in the shop and my little portable. She says it's gotta go.

If I had clocks & parts lying about; She would toss them in the trash.

Clothes!!!! The past few times my Son-in -law stops by I have to do a double take. He's wearing one of my shirts!!! I ask the wife; She said I didn't need it anymore & cleaned out my closet. I go to the closet & she took over more of my space; She needed room for hers.Damn... :roll:

I really don't have that much shit... She just hates clutter of any kind. At least she respects my bigger ticket items, but she gladly tosses, newspaper, clothes of mine she dislikes, boxes, doodads and the like. :angry4:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Rongo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:44 am Looks likea new fun hobby.

Not for me, no time and the wife would give me a world of grief. She's been bitching about my stuff for years... Everything from cars, guns and my favorite old air compressor I paid $10 for back in 1987. It works great, sits in the barn & I use it probably more than my big one in the shop and my little portable. She says it's gotta go.

Clothes!!!! The past few times my Son-in -law stops by I have to do a double take. He's wearing one of my shirts!!! I ask the wife; She said I didn't need it anymore & cleaned out my closet. I go to the closet & she took over more of my space; She needed room for hers.Damn... :roll:

I really don't have that much shit... She just hates clutter of any kind. At least she respects my bigger ticket items, but she gladly tosses, newspaper, clothes of mine she dislikes, boxes, doodads and the like. :angry4:
My wife has gotten used to living with a crazy man. She is not going to put up with the living room sounding like a clock shop. The old movements are just so cool. The damn things have been working for a hundred years and a little cleaning and some motor oil and they are good to go.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

Rongo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:44 am Looks likea new fun hobby.

No, not Piggly Wiggly! I will give him a good home with light use if you want.

I have my own closet, SWMBO hers. Separate rooms, too. It's just easier that way.

SWMBO doesn't dare toss any of my stuff, because she knows I'd make a large donation to Goodwill my next day off. Lots of bright shiny colorful dishes. :twisted:

My grandpa's hobby was buying and fixing up clocks. He rewired auto generators and alternators, as well as general auto repair, for a living.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien