Korean War Captured ex-Dragoon [USMC Researchers Needed]

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NineteenEleven

Korean War Captured ex-Dragoon [USMC Researchers Needed]

Post by NineteenEleven »

Earlier this year I acquired the most historically significant firearm in my possession.
exdragoon 001a.jpg
exdragoon 002a.jpg
exdragoon 003a.jpg
exdragoon 004a.jpg
exdragoon 006a.jpg
exdragoon 007a.jpg
exdragoon 008a.jpg
exdragoon 010a.jpg
exdragoon 013a.jpg
exdragoon 015a.jpg
exdragoon 017a.jpg
exdragoon 018.0a.jpg
It's a 1931 ex-Dragoon with no less than 36 names, nicknames, and initials carved into stock.
Dated July 5, followed by 51-52.
I'm certain it's Marine Corps as they're the only branch with a Gunnery Sargent. (Gunny Polk)
Given the number of names I believe it was signed by a platoon. What platoon I have not determined, this is where I'm going to need help. If I can pin down two or more people in the same platoon and get a list of people in that platoon I can match the rest of the names and initials. Though I have found sources for declassified Korean War journals I haven't found a source of names of marines in platoons. Once that's nailed down I can use the declassified journals to determine what was going on around July 5th for that platoon.

No capture papers included as it is duffle cut. I believe it was brought in by Al Springer* as his name and some details are scratched below the bolt handle.

These are the names on the stock transcribed to the best of my abilities to read them.
=============================================================
LEFT SIDE - Butt to muzzle

01. Tholen
02. Ferry
03. S. E. Kahn (first initial is difficult to interpret)
04. SKI
05a. "BUCK"
05b. 'Keller (likely separate from Buck)
06. PEABODY
07. LETT
08. DUNCAN
09. HELTON
10. TiM/JiM/GiM (Is there a 27th letter to the alphabet?)
11. A. Holden
---------------------------Possible Former Owner---------------------------
12. Al Sp_nger (Springer?)
C15 (I do not know what C15 represents)
June, 5 '51' - '52' (Likely aquired June 5 1951)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13. CRAIG (or E FAIG?)
14. D.R. Whitlock
15. DESIMONE
16. TEX
17. KRAUSE
18. HRZ

TOP - Butt to muzzle

19. Bailey
20. J R Dunkin

RIGHT SIDE - Butt to muzzle

21. JONES
22. MOSE (very light)
23. KELLEY
24. STEEP / STEED (Not sure if nick or name)
25. McLAIN
26. SHAKLEE
27a. GUNNY
27b. POLK (most likely the gunnery sergeant.)
28. JOHN MANN (Best carved name)
29. Dan / Pan (Difficult to decipher)
30. Ray Ibister
31. LAMBERT
32. NELSON
33. BROWN

BOTTOM - Butt to muzzle

34. REED
35. G N FARINA (Best Guess)
36. NUMBNUT
=============================================================
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Korean War Captured ex-Dragoon [USMC Researchers Needed]

Post by millman »

That is pretty cool. Good luck with your research.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

C15 could be a location ID, sometimes places are given a ID when no name is available for it. IE Site C15, or Hill C15, section C15 on a map etc.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a really interesting piece. Good luck with your hunt, it is going to be tough.

Why do you think it is Korean war? Is is possible that it could have been Vietnam.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:36 pm That is a really interesting piece. Good luck with your hunt, it is going to be tough.

Why do you think it is Korean war? Is is possible that it could have been Vietnam.
Good point Steve. Went back and re-read has a possible date of June 51 on it
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
NineteenEleven

Post by NineteenEleven »

I do suspect C15 is a location on a map, I just can't confirm it.
I don't think it's from Vietnam, the first US casualty was in 1956 with only 3 more before 1960.
The problem I found with obituaries is they never specify what platoon they were in and I have found more than one person with the same name that served in the USMC... It's possible someone that carved their name on that gun is still alive.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

NineteenEleven wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:00 pm I do suspect C15 is a location on a map, I just can't confirm it.
I don't think it's from Vietnam, the first US casualty was in 1956 with only 3 more before 1960.
The problem I found with obituaries is they never specify what platoon they were in and I have found more than one person with the same name that served in the USMC... It's possible someone that carved their name on that gun is still alive.
True, but looking at this name and finding out what unit he served with in Korea, then cross reference the unit history and see how many names you can match up. You'll be surprised how quick the pieces will start to fall into place.

Sgt Raymond E. Ibister
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very interesting piece. Congrats. I don't know why they would have that date on it unless it was from the Korean conflict. Problem with the Marines in Korea was that they barely got out with their asses intact, at least from Chosin. Cant imagine carting an additional rifle back. Anyone's guess though. That said, there was the 15th Army infantry regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, in country that had a C company which could be the C15 reference. https://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/15 ... _Looking=7. Perhaps, you can write the koreanwar.org and get some additional information. Good luck.
NineteenEleven

Post by NineteenEleven »

I've poked around on koreanwar.org. They captured weapons from the enemy frequently. You can see tally's kept on weapons captured in documents here
https://www.koreanwar.org/html/usmc_kor ... cords.html

Here's one I bookmarked because it was dated June 1951.
https://www.koreanwar2.org/kwp2/usmc/04 ... E_1951.pdf
"The 1st Bn suffered 10 WIA and receieved 24 NBC, and 13 RTD's. Enemy equipment captured or destroyed this date were: 12 burp guns, 5 light machine guns, 10 rifles, 4 M1 rifles, 2cs 32 cal ammo, 3 cs grenades, 4 trucks and 1 artillery piece"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 pm Ray Ibister Korean War USMC Vet.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ ... =139438458
Good work, Mike. I searched a couple of the whole names without luck and dropped it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 pm
ffuries wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 pm Ray Ibister Korean War USMC Vet.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ ... =139438458
Good work, Mike. I searched a couple of the whole names without luck and dropped it.
I'm retired, was bored and it was too damn hot to take my ass outside. :brolleyes:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Contact the USMC for help....I am sure they would dig into this like hound dogs,...especially with the Presidents trip to the RONK.

https://www.usmcmuseum.com/

https://www.marines.mil/

https://grc-usmcu.libguides.com/marine- ... hives/main
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

How have you been Judi?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

number 36= numbnut..Funny...
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Bud

Post by Bud »

Coming very late to this thread but had to comment. First, I am three times retired; LEO, US Army and my last gig was as a military history research for the US Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Benefit Administration where I was identified as the subject matter expert for the entire system before I left. Now that I have blown my horn a little bit too much, I have to also write that I am trying to learn more about a 1939 Tula 91/30.

You have a very interesting and I suspect highly desirable "bring back" and there is zero doubt in my mind that it was a pickup by Company C, 1st Bn 5th Marines. In July, Charley Company was located eight miles north on Inje, North Korea. On the 15th of July. Charley Company and the 1st Bn changed to the Corps Reserve.

I suspect, after reading the 1st Battalion 5th Marine Historical Diary for July, 1951, that the individual that brought back this Mosin was one of a number of enlisted Marines who were relieved of assignment and rotated home. This happened primarily after the 15th of the month while the Bn was in Regimental reserve. You can read this particular historical diary at the link below. Now back to my quest!

https://www.koreanwar2.org/kwp2/usmc/07 ... 7_2109.pdf
NineteenEleven

Post by NineteenEleven »

Sorry for the late reply. That's very helpful! I thought I was going to have to go through the muster rolls of the entire marine corps from 51 to 52 to find matches but that really narrows it down. Might I inquire about your method of locating the company?
I did make a list of people MIA/KIA with the same names in 51-52 and sadly but also interestingly someone with the surname of Jones from that company/battalion/corps does show up as having been killed in action September 19th 1951
Jones, Thomas Leo / Lowell, IN
Company C, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division.
https://www.koreanwar.org/html/15196/ko ... -leo-jones

Now I guess it's a game of matching names on muster rolls. It looks as though the muster rolls are only available at the National Archives and ancestry.com so I will need to create an account it seems...

THANK YOU and good luck with your own quest 👍
NineteenEleven

Post by NineteenEleven »

Wait a minute... It just dawned on me.
C15 on the stock may represent "C" Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines. Also expressed "Charlie One Five" going by a book title on Charlie Company in the Vietnam war...
Wow, that's another mystery solved. Now just to verify the names and attempt to find photographs of the Marines.