WASR 10

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

WASR 10

Post by ffuries »

My WASR 10 arrived and came home with me, not a real fan of the blonde stock though. Zero cant to the sights, magazine wobble is negligible to the point of being equal to my AR-15. Either Century has gotten their QC/QA process figured out or I just got damn lucky. Pretty impressed overall with the fitment, bayonet lug needs a little work as the bayonet I have starts to engage it, but doesn't go on all the way to lock it. Based on the SN it was manufactured in 2018.

Need to get a sling and cleaning rod for it. Why Century doesn't include them anymore is beyond me. So question is.......Are all AK cleaning rods created equal to the point of being interchangeable?

Guess if anyone has a cleaning rod and sling they don't need and are willing to donate let me know.

Here's a quick picture of her, have two new couches coming in and CINC Household is wanting to move things around in the livingroom before they get delivered. So I can't play around with it right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Re: WASR 10

Post by ffuries »

Came with the Century RAK1 trigger group. Supposed to be smoother and have no trigger slap, but I have no experience with them.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

If you still get slap, swap in a Tapco trigger, I can vouch for those. Looks nice, I had all the tacticool stuff on mine but eventually went back to the blonde wood.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

mogunner wrote:If you still get slap, swap in a Tapco trigger, I can vouch for those. Looks nice, I had all the tacticool stuff on mine but eventually went back to the blonde wood.
I will be keeping it traditional in appearance. I wanted an AK derivative that could/would represent the weapons our enemies carried while I was in the military. First the Communists, then the Terrorists. It will make a great stablemate for my AR15A2.

I need to figure out what part of the bayonet lug to polish/hone to allow the bayonet to slide on and lock. Or maybe I should file on the bayonet itself and leave the bayonet lug as it is........Hmmmm
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ffuries wrote:
mogunner wrote:If you still get slap, swap in a Tapco trigger, I can vouch for those. Looks nice, I had all the tacticool stuff on mine but eventually went back to the blonde wood.
I will be keeping it traditional in appearance. I wanted an AK derivative that could/would represent the weapons our enemies carried while I was in the military. First the Communists, then the Terrorists. It will make a great stablemate for my AR15A2.

I need to figure out what part of the bayonet lug to polish/hone to allow the bayonet to slide on and lock. Or maybe I should file on the bayonet itself and leave the bayonet lug as it is........Hmmmm
File the cheapest most available part.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote:
ffuries wrote:

File the cheapest most available part.
AKA the bayonet.......wife made the same statement!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Great minds think alike.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Here's a quick shot down the sight line. The so called "Blind Drunk Monkey" didn't do the work on this one. After all the horror stories I've read over the years about canted sights, nada on this one. Haven't cleaned it yet, but a quick look with a flashlight and I'm not seeing any debris in the chamber or barrel from the widening of the magazine well either. Bolt operation is pretty damn smooth right now also.

So either I got real lucky, the gun gods smiled upon me, or Century has gotten their act together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote:Great minds think alike.
You say great minds, my wife says the highly intelligent minds. Yall are scaring me........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:twisted:

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Did a quick field strip of her this evening just to learn how to, and to give her a thorough inspection. Rear and front sights no canting period, no metal shavings found in the barrel, chamber, trigger assembly etc. I looked everywhere and there was none to be found anywhere.

I most have lucked out and got a good one. Just need to get some food for her and take her to the range and sling some lead down range.

From what I've been reading the RAK 1 Enhanced Trigger Group is supposed to be better than the Tapco G2 trigger. I have no expereince with the G2 trigger so I won't know how it really compares.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

My WASR is fantastic! It really is a better shooter than my VEPR. It also runs more mags reliably and has a better trigger than my VEPR. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Nice rifle!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Perhaps the bayo lug was neutered?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

CavemanSteve wrote:Perhaps the bayo lug was neutered?
Bayonet lug is intact. Haven't messed with in a few days, looks like it is either too thick, slight canted or both.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

ffuries wrote:
Bayonet lug is intact. Haven't messed with in a few days, looks like it is either too thick, slight canted or both.
Does it shoot as good as an SKS ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote:
ffuries wrote:
Been busy with plumbing issues and doctor's appointments, need to get out there and shoot it though. Plus the 90 degree temps and the ungodly humidity around here lately has been kicking my ass, making me hide in the house with the AC.

Just give me one decent day to go shoot and I'll be happy.........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

ffuries wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:
ffuries wrote:
Been busy with plumbing issues and doctor's appointments, need to get out there and shoot it though. Plus the 90 degree temps and the ungodly humidity around here lately has been kicking my ass, making me hide in the house with the AC.

Go shoot that damn thing and tell us how it done. :furious:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote:
ffuries wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:
ffuries wrote:

Go shoot that damn thing and tell us how it done. :furious:
Ran out to the woods did 20 rounds and it shot pretty damn good, considering there was a non-stop torrent of sweat pouring into my eyes. There was no trigger slap that I could discern. When I left the temps were 100 degrees and when I got back it had broken 101 degrees. I'm soaked right now and heading for a shower.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I was getting 1-2 inch groups at 35-40 feet, and that's with sweat pouring into my eyes. The rifle would probably do better in a proper firing situation. I did pull one shot, but that's because a damn bee flew up my nose and scared the hell out of me. Lucky the bastard did sting me.

A little short for me, but with practice I should be able to compensate for that.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Glad to hear that it is running well for you.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain