Help A Non-feeding M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fred_G

Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by Fred_G »

I as at a friend's house, and he showed me his M44. If you load 2 bullets in the gun, it will feed and eject the first one, but will not feed the second one. It is too low in the magazine for the bolt to pick it up. I think it is his bolt, the gun worked fine with my bolt. I could not see any differences in the 2 bolts. Told him to take the bolt apart, clean it and try it. He is going to do that soon. Anyone have any other ideas I could give him?
BostonMike

Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by BostonMike »

If you press in the ejector by hand, does the interrupter located below in the magazine move outward to allow the next round to feed up?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
desdem12

Re: Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by desdem12 »

That is pretty unusual i would think. I would think it was the interupter not letting the next bullet up after ejecting the one that was fired. Has the gun been disassembled and cleaned? I will have to defer for the moment as i have non out of the safe at the moment to look at. :vconfused:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

"If you press in the ejector by hand, does the interrupter located below in the magazine move outward to allow the next round to feed up?"

Did not try that, I don't have the gun.

"That is pretty unusual i would think. I would think it was the interupter not letting the next bullet up after ejecting the one that was fired. Has the gun been disassembled and cleaned? I will have to defer for the moment as i have non out of the safe at the moment to look at."

I think the interupter doing like you said. The gun is clean, I don't know how clean. But, the gun works great with my bolt, and one he has on another Mosin.

Thanks.
BostonMike

Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by BostonMike »

Sounds like an ejector/interruptor issue. When you lock the bolt forward, the rear of the bolt presses the ejector in, which in turn presses the interruptor in allowing the rounds to feed up.

So this is where he need to look. Could be a matter of cleaning out cosmoline.

Here's a couple vids on how the setup should work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bmLGuw_ ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDWSWvo ... ata_player

Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Awesome videos BostonMike. I will send him those. That is his problem. (I think). If he does not want to work on it, I will borrow it and fix it for him. And If I had not helped him with it, he might have sold it to me cheap. :shock: But I could not do that.
son of a gun

Post by son of a gun »

speaking of which, my 91/30 ex-dragoon (1929), occationlly the first round will not feed. intead the front of the round will dive, and the bolt won't move forward. In which case, I just unload the mag, and reload it again and it works fine. Is that normal?

EDIT: Is there a specific way to load the stripper clips? that might be it. (i use stripper clips). also when I open the magazine, the last round (the one that would feed first) doesn't fall. I have to thumb that one down. all of these issues are not that big a deal. but a little inconvienent.
Last edited by son of a gun on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's all fun and games till' someone gets hurt... then it's hillarious!
BostonMike

Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by BostonMike »

The rim is locking on the round below it. Usually loading the rim in front of the round below will "fix" this, but the problem is connected to the interrupter.

Check for wear on the end. As the tip wears, the round below feeds up higher and locks the rim of the top round.

A friends '33 hex came out of the crate with a worn interrupter. I had to replace it with one off eBay. There was a noticable difference in the tip and the rifle works flawlessly now.

You can also bend it to give it more tension. Usually try this before replacement altogether.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I had a similar problem with a M91. The sides of the magazine were bent in a little. If the interruptor isn't the problem, make sure a round can fit through the magazine.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

BostonMike wrote:The rim is locking on the round below it. Usually loading the rim in front of the round below will "fix" this, but the problem is connected to the interrupter.

Check for wear on the end. As the tip wears, the round below feeds up higher and locks the rim of the top round.

A friends '33 hex came out of the crate with a worn interrupter. I had to replace it with one off eBay. There was a noticable difference in the tip and the rifle works flawlessly now.

You can also bend it to give it more tension. Usually try this before replacement altogether.

But why would it work perfectly with 2 other bolts? Problem has to be in the bolt.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

polymerase2 wrote:I had a similar problem with a M91. The sides of the magazine were bent in a little. If the interruptor isn't the problem, make sure a round can fit through the magazine.

5 rounds load no problem with the clip.
BostonMike

Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by BostonMike »

Fred_G wrote:
BostonMike wrote:The rim is locking on the round below it. Usually loading the rim in front of the round below will "fix" this, but the problem is connected to the interrupter.

But why would it work perfectly with 2 other bolts? Problem has to be in the bolt.
Missed the part about it working with other bolts.

The bolt body (handle part) still contacts the ejector which pushes in the interrupter. The bolt body could have been refurbed/ground in such a way tgat it doesn't properly push the ejector in far enough.

Swap a different bolt handle onto the original bolt and try that.

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

son of a gun wrote:speaking of which, my 91/30 ex-dragoon (1929), occationlly the first round will not feed. intead the front of the round will dive, and the bolt won't move forward. In which case, I just unload the mag, and reload it again and it works fine. Is that normal?

EDIT: Is there a specific way to load the stripper clips? that might be it. (i use stripper clips). also when I open the magazine, the last round (the one that would feed first) doesn't fall. I have to thumb that one down. all of these issues are not that big a deal. but a little inconvienent.
Not sure about the diving round but it sounds like the rim of the first round is behind the one below it but here's a video of a stripper being used to load the rifle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2GAwIlmfI Below is a picture of what the rounds should look like in the stripper clip.

As far as the first or top round not dropping out of the rifle when the magazine floorplate is opened to unload the rifle, that's because the top round is above the interuptor and this is normal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:I as at a friend's house, and he showed me his M44. If you load 2 bullets in the gun, it will feed and eject the first one, but will not feed the second one. It is too low in the magazine for the bolt to pick it up. I think it is his bolt, the gun worked fine with my bolt. I could not see any differences in the 2 bolts. Told him to take the bolt apart, clean it and try it. He is going to do that soon. Anyone have any other ideas I could give him?
I'd say it's the interuptor. Check that the magazine follower is contacting the bottom of the round. I mean make sure the follower is extending fully upward and pushing against the bottom round. Then make sure the interuptor is clean and fully extended into the magazine and has spring tension via the interuptor spring. It also needs to be full floating and not sticking. You could bring it up this weekend and we could give it a look here too if you want.
son of a gun

Post by son of a gun »

Not sure about the diving round but it sounds like the rim of the first round is behind the one below it but here's a video of a stripper being used to load the rifle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2GAwIlmfI Below is a picture of what the rounds should look like in the stripper clip.

As far as the first or top round not dropping out of the rifle when the magazine floorplate is opened to unload the rifle, that's because the top round is above the interuptor and this is normal.[/quote]

hey thanks!
It's all fun and games till' someone gets hurt... then it's hillarious!
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Try swapping ,magazine springs?

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
BostonMike

Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by BostonMike »

WeldonHunter wrote:
son of a gun wrote:speaking of which, my 91/30 ex-dragoon (1929), occationlly the first round will not feed. intead the front of the round will dive, and the bolt won't move forward. In which case, I just unload the mag, and reload it again and it works fine. Is that normal?

As far as the first or top round not dropping out of the rifle when the magazine floorplate is opened to unload the rifle, that's because the top round is above the interuptor and this is normal.
If the interrupter is working the way it should, there is no need to stagger the cartridges. The interrupter should hold the cartridge below just far enough away that the rims should not lock at all.

The staggering method does work though, but I just throw the rounds in any way and they never lock in my rifles. If they do, I've replaced the interrupter and it fixed the issue.

pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I agree with Boston. When the top round is released by the interuptor so it can be chambered it no longer touches the round below it, so there's no chance of rimlock. Pretty slick those Russians :bwink:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

pacanis wrote:I agree with Boston. When the top round is released by the interuptor so it can be chambered it no longer touches the round below it, so there's no chance of rimlock. Pretty slick those Russians :bwink:
Sorry to tell you guys but you better go recheck how these rifles feed ammo. The interuptor is not holding the lower round far enough down to stop rim lock, I just pulled one of my Russin M44's down and loaded the mag and purposely loaded the last round with the rim behind the lower round and it would not feed, period. I tried pushing the rounds down below the interuptor and releasing the top round back into place above the lower round ready to be chambered and it would not feed. I had to empty the magazine through the floor plate and reload it. When I did it worked smooth as butter. So I repeated this and it did exactly the same thing. Would not feed if I put the upper rounds rim behind the lower round.
BostonMike

Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by BostonMike »

Mine does. I have purposly loaded them with rims behind the round below and it will hold it down far enough. I've never had a rim lock problem ever.

I don't think this is the original posters problem. A good pic of where the round jams would greatly help. He did provide pics of the rifle, but a pic of the problem would be more useful.