MadisonAV's Finns

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MadisonAV

MadisonAV's Finns

Post by MadisonAV »

A post in early February encouraged posting photos of our Finn collections. I wanted to wait for a few key purchases to clear. The only Finn missing from this group photo is a 1942 VKT M-91 which is somewhere in the FedEx distribution network. I needed to clean out and reorganize my gun safe, so today us a good photo op.

In my Finn collection, I’m focusing on sequences. I’m very interested in the evolution of Finns from the Russian M-91 to the M-39 - generally regarded as the most advanced and accurate Mosin Nagant used by foot soldiers during war time.

In Finland, this evolution followed two separate, but not totally independent paths – regular army and Civil Guard. That is amazing given that Finland was a new country that didn’t have resources to design and build its own rifle. The following image is my Guard Unit sequence.

It contains the following rifles making up all of the major models in the Guard sequence:
- Finn M-39 SK.Y
- Finn M-28/30
- Finn M-28
- Finn M-24 Lotta
- Russian m-91 Imperial Tula – Guard Unit number on stock

I’m giving some thought to putting together a Guard Sequence showcase article that traces evolution from the M-91 capture to the M-39. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

In parallel to the Civil Guard Unit sequence, the army was performing its own series of upgrades. Here are the rifles currently in my army sequence.

Rifles in this sequence include:
- Finn M-39 1941 VKT
- Finn M-27 1928 Tikka
- Finn M-91 1927 Tikka Stepped
- Russian M-91 1895 Imperial Tula – Temporary stand in as this is a Guard Unit Finn.

I’m missing at least two key rifles in this series, the Finn M-91 P-barrel, and a late M-27 that overcomes some of the shortcomings in the early M-27. The Finn M-91 late date VKT in FedExs hands is also missing from this photo.

What got me started on Finns was the M-39. Not too surprisingly they represent a disproportionally large portion of my collection.

Finns in this sequence include:
- 1968 No Name
- 1942 B Barrel
- 1943 SK.Y
- 1941 VKT
- 1941 VKT
- 1941 Sako Straight Stock
- 1941 Sako Straight Stock

I ended up with two straight stocks as they were available at a price I thought was low. One of the two 1941 VKTs is my primary shooter.

The final sequence is the M-91 sequence. Finn Mosins are often referred to as either ‘Finned’ or ‘Finnish’, the latter being made up of Finn Mosins that have Finnish manufactured or subcontracted barrels. Yet there is a significant variety of combinations and permutations within those definitions. Also, through the window provided by the SA stamp, nearly the entire Russian armory can be seen. This sequence is more like a collection in that the rifles will be difficult to sequence. Here is what I have so far.

Rifles in this sequence include:
- 1942 VKT B Barrel Liege Proof
- 1939 Tula 91-30 Finn Capture
- 1927 Tikka Step Barrel
- 1924-7 M91-24 Lotta
- 1895 Imperial Tula Finn Capture

This is the portion of my collection I referred to as the vortex I was being sucked into a few weeks ago. There are a lot of Finns that fall into this category.
MN#1 - Finnish M39 - 1941 - More when it arrives ...
desdem12

Re: MadisonAV's Finns

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :clap: :clap: :Drool1: :Drool1: :wow:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Very nice collection Madison, well done!

It looks like things are going very well up North! Keep it up :clap:

Nice job! :toast:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice. The Finns are some of my favorites as well. :D
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Impressive! I do not have that much self control to be that focused on completing a series. The best I am hoping for right now is to put together a Tula M91/30 collection for every year but there are a couple of exceptions that could slow that effort down. I commend you Madison! :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

Very nice MadisonAV. You've got quite a few really good ones! Also, keep in mind that just like you nee a late style M27 you also need an early style M28/30. (Now he'll be searching forever! Mwahahaha!)
new2mosins

Post by new2mosins »

Madison my friend you have a very nice collection going
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Madison, you have some nice hardware there for sure. I tried to pick a favorite from each picture, not based on it's history, but just it's appearance, and you know what? I can't do it. They all present well. I do however love the Tikka M91 with the stepped barrel, maybe because the leather sling just completes it so well. Then another that really called out from the crowd is the Finned 91/30, perhaps because it is kind of lonely all by itself amongst the heavy hitters. I can't decide which straight stock Sako M39 is my favorite, I love them both for different cosmetic reasons! 8-) 8-) 8-) :P
dou44

Post by dou44 »

:Drool1: very nice collection and i bet it took time to do, :toast:
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

shmlnaaa wrote:Very nice MadisonAV. You've got quite a few really good ones! Also, keep in mind that just like you nee a late style M27 you also need an early style M28/30. (Now he'll be searching forever! Mwahahaha!)
Very funny. I assume you are referring to your M27/M28 M28/30 or whatever it is. Yea we'll be waiting a long time for another one of those ...

Madison
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

MadisonAV wrote:
shmlnaaa wrote:Very nice MadisonAV. You've got quite a few really good ones! Also, keep in mind that just like you nee a late style M27 you also need an early style M28/30. (Now he'll be searching forever! Mwahahaha!)
Very funny. I assume you are referring to your M27/M28 M28/30 or whatever it is. Yea we'll be waiting a long time for another one of those ...

Madison
I'm referring to M28/30's with an M28 style front sight, no aluminum sleeve, and no stock reinforcement. They're pretty uncommon because most were updated with the screw adjustable front sight and aluminum barrel sleeve.
Last edited by shmlnaaa on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

shmlnaaa wrote:
MadisonAV wrote:

Madison
I'm referring to M28/30's with an M28 style front sight, no aluminum sleeve, and no stock reinforcement. They're pretty uncommon because most were updated with the screw adjustable front sight and aluminum sleeve.
I stand corrected. :lol: :lol:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Hat's off! What a fine selection.

Missing another key element - Tikka barreled M91/30's from 1943 and 1944, round and hex receivers, blade and post/globe sights. I'll help you identify one in my next thread.

:wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:Finland: :udaman: You are a bad, bad, man Martin :grumpy: :bravo:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

martin08 wrote:Hat's off! What a fine selection.

Missing another key element - Tikka barreled M91/30's from 1943 and 1944, round and hex receivers, blade and post/globe sights. I'll help you identify one in my next thread.

:wink:
Martin,

I didn't say I was done. What has happened so far is that I have an example of each of the major foot soldier models with the exception of the P-barrel. But there is a fascinating array of variations within each model. I specifically pointed out the M-27 Late that offsets the shortcomings of my M-27 Early. I would appreciate any guidance you can give me on what i should concentrate on next.

As for Shm, I am very aware that you don't have the M28 28/30 in the form you seek. I'm looking for it too. We both look in the same place. So if/when one comes up, there is likely to be a shootout neither of us can avoid. :bwink:

Madison
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

MadisonAV wrote: As for Shm, I am very aware that you don't have the M28 28/30 in the form you seek. I'm looking for it too. We both look in the same place. So if/when one comes up, there is likely to be a shootout neither of us can avoid. :bwink:

Madison
That's true, but it doesn't mean that I can't make you want to spend your money on other variations first!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

shmlnaaa wrote:
MadisonAV wrote: As for Shm, I am very aware that you don't have the M28 28/30 in the form you seek. I'm looking for it too. We both look in the same place. So if/when one comes up, there is likely to be a shootout neither of us can avoid. :bwink:

Madison
That's true, but it doesn't mean that I can't make you want to spend your money on other variations first!
Hoping I'll bite on the play action fake into the offensive line while your receiver is running a post route? We'll have to see about that. :brolleyes: :) :tongue: :bwink:

Madison
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

Is there a place in this collection for a Finn capture Remington or Westinghouse or do they fall into a different category ?
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

Chum lee,

Either would fit into my Finn M-91 group as long as the barrel is original and the barrel has a SA stamp. At some point, I would like to have both.

Madison
martin08

Post by martin08 »

MadisonAV wrote:Chum lee,

Either would fit into my Finn M-91 group as long as the barrel is original and the barrel has a SA stamp. At some point, I would like to have both.

Madison

Those aren't Finn produced guns, like the ones in your line-up. But certainly worthy to put into a Finn collection.

Be proud of what you have gathered to this point. It's a great collection.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....