M38 stock availability

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
miner49r

M38 stock availability

Post by miner49r »

I'm trading a guy for his M38 which comes with a stock that looks like it was used as a baseball bat. As to the gun condition, it has a matching receiver, bolt and floorplate and nice crisp rifling. The gun currently resides in a nice polymer stock so it's shootable. I haven't seen the original stock except in pictures, and the crack is bad. I'm thinking of getting a replacement stock - any ideas who might carry one?
As far as I can see the rest of the gun is in excellent shape so putting a replacement stock on it shouldn't upset the apple cart. No S/N's on stocks anyways...
Am I committing a collecting faux pas if I re-stock the old girl? :vconfused:
steelbuttplate

Re: M38 stock availability

Post by steelbuttplate »

miner49r wrote:I'm trading a guy for his M38 which comes with a stock that looks like it was used as a baseball bat. As to the gun condition, it has a matching receiver, bolt and floorplate and nice crisp rifling. The gun currently resides in a nice polymer stock so it's shootable. I haven't seen the original stock except in pictures, and the crack is bad. I'm thinking of getting a replacement stock - any ideas who might carry one?
As far as I can see the rest of the gun is in excellent shape so putting a replacement stock on it shouldn't upset the apple cart. No S/N's on stocks anyways...
Your allowed to restore. I think Liberty tree has M-44 stocks which many M-38's have. E' bay is another possiblity. It might be hard to find an M-38 stock.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good luck finding a real M38 stock, like the M38 itself they are becoming unobtanium. Fix what you have, sounds like one of the Romanian hoard carbines, or could be a Korean war bringhome if there is no import mark. These tend to have normal used milsurp stocks rather than the new ones you see on the Soviet refurbs. Glue, clamps, that should do for the cracks, the rest just leave alone, that's how real milsurps are supposed to look after years or use in war and almost war, more war.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Liberty tree is showing M44 handguards, but I don't see stocks other than 91/30, and M28/30.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Good luck finding a real M38 stock, like the M38 itself they are becoming unobtanium. Fix what you have, sounds like one of the Romanian hoard carbines, or could be a Korean war bringhome if there is no import mark. These tend to have normal used milsurp stocks rather than the new ones you see on the Soviet refurbs. Glue, clamps, that should do for the cracks, the rest just leave alone, that's how real milsurps are supposed to look after years or use in war and almost war, more war.
I'd definitely like to try to fix the stock. It looks to be an M44 stock because I think I see a bayonet cutout in the picture.
Thanks for the help!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, M44 stocks were very commonly found on M38's.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

There is a guy on Gunboards, Brian, that sells a lot of parts and about a week ago I stumbled on his list of parts for sale and he had a laminated M38 stock for under $75.00 if I remember right. Like I said I stumbled on his list so I hope another member here can direct you to his site.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Ah, the dilemma we find ourselves in. There was a time, not so long ago, that you could find just about any kind of Mosin stock. But, no more. And now, when you can find them, they are very expensive. Best thing to do is determine what you want to do - repair or replace. It might be a good idea to have some patience, watch the WTS boards and watch eBay. Post a WTB on the forums. Eventually, something will turn up. If you could find the laminated stock that Longcolt44 was talking about, that would be about the cheapest you could find one. And, when looking a prices, be sure that the hardware (band springs, bands, cleaning rod, if desired, stock bolt(s), hand guard and nose cap) are included. Those are available but they will nickel and dime you to death. For example, there is a finish stripped M-44 stock on eBay right now that, with a day to go, is already at $80+. Then, there is the guy with another stripped stock for a BIN of $150+, another one for $149 and another for $199 (with hardware and hand guard) Might be a good idea to just watch these and see if they actually sell. Then, you'll know, ballpark, what they are currently selling for. I suspect that if you have a stock with all the hardware, then paying someone to repair the crack might be a much cheaper option.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have yet to see stock damage that can't be repaired if all the pieces are still present.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote:I have yet to see stock damage that can't be repaired if all the pieces are still present.
Is a little, undercover screwing allowed, :oops: I mean internal where it can't be seen ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Fixing a stock is fixing a stock.. And, most of the time you will see the repair. Internal screw or not, it will need a plug. No one draws the line with the repair of a broken stock.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Try to recall the buttplate usually has a serial on it too. Changing buttplates to other stocks sometimes really stands out and can be hard to hide. Decent M44 stocks are not that hard to find I just sold a nice one awhile back for $100 with hand guard included and rear band too. They are out there along with M38 stocks too. Just have to be patient to find one. Bill
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Well the M38 arrived. The barrel is shiny and in awesome condition. The stock is definitely not that great. I'm gluing it up and will sand down the old repairs in the hope of smoothing out the repairs made in the recent past. There's also a nasty coat of varnish to get rid of.
Anyone have a recipe for shellac?
That polymer stock was nasty. I had to shim it 75 thou at the front action screw to prevent the bolt from binding. No wonder the guy wanted to trade!
Headspace was good thanks to Okie's gauges!
20190104_181239.jpg
20190104_181208.jpg
20190104_161316.jpg
20190104_161311.jpg
20190104_161257.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

miner49r wrote:I'm trading a guy for his M38 which comes with a stock that looks like it was used as a baseball bat. As to the gun condition, it has a matching receiver, bolt and floorplate and nice crisp rifling. The gun currently resides in a nice polymer stock so it's shootable. I haven't seen the original stock except in pictures, and the crack is bad. I'm thinking of getting a replacement stock - any ideas who might carry one?
I couldn't stomach seeing the old girl in a polymer stock so I fixed the original stock, sanded down the shine and wiped the stock down with lemon oil. The character is all there and I think it actually looks quite nice. The repairs blend in pretty well - I am very happy with the result (the picture does not do it justice). All I need is a couple of barrel bands.

Which bands fit the M38?
What about the cleaning rod?

20190104_202606[14226].jpg
20190104_181239.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reiver

Post by reiver »

I agree....poly stocks or even modern wood stocks do nothing for the rifles visually or collectibly… I guess if you had a bare action for some reason.

Are the M38 stocks the same as the 91/59 stock or are there minute differences?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

reiver wrote:I agree....poly stocks or even modern wood stocks do nothing for the rifles visually or collectibly… I guess if you had a bare action for some reason.

Are the M38 stocks the same as the 91/59 stock or are there minute differences?
Plastic and wood stocks have a use, some people insist on hunting with ancient milsurps instead of a nice Model 70. Better to beat the finish off some piece of modern plastic or wood than the original and sometimes irriplacable milsurp stock.
Theodore Roosevelt
reiver

Post by reiver »

Plastic and wood stocks have a use, some people insist on hunting with ancient milsurps instead of a nice Model 70. Better to beat the finish off some piece of modern plastic or wood than the original and sometimes irriplacable milsurp stock.[/quote]

Well, I guess that is a consideration but my stocks don't get beat up when I hunt.... critters rarely fire back and never with indirect fire so one does not have to hit the dirt often.
I wouldn't enjoy the rifle dressed in a polyester suit...if it is that rare or special it probably wouldn't see anything but a range anyway.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

reiver wrote:Plastic and wood stocks have a use, some people insist on hunting with ancient milsurps instead of a nice Model 70. Better to beat the finish off some piece of modern plastic or wood than the original and sometimes irriplacable milsurp stock.

Well, I guess that is a consideration but my stocks don't get beat up when I hunt.... critters rarely fire back and never with indirect fire so one does not have to hit the dirt often.
I wouldn't enjoy the rifle dressed in a polyester suit...if it is that rare or special it probably wouldn't see anything but a range anyway.[/quote]
Here in the northeast 60 yards of clear shot line is rare, lots of close cover, branches, brush, wait an hour vines, they slap at you and anything you carry.
Theodore Roosevelt
reiver

Post by reiver »

Yeah, I get that.....but honestly....still not much of an issue...if you can't move thru the brush without screwing up your weapon you have issues...and in the near dawn or daylight no less.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

reiver wrote:Yeah, I get that.....but honestly....still not much of an issue...if you can't move thru the brush without screwing up your weapon you have issues...and in the near dawn or daylight no less.
You just described 3/4 of the " hunters" around me, they touch the weapon only days before season starts, maybe they fired it once or twice. If they use the "hunting" aftermarket stocks and preserve the original then when they sell it we get the original stock in good condition. Some of these shellac finishes are very delicate, just handeling them can cause cracks anc chips of shellac to come loose. Hunting here is restricted to shotgun or BP, that saves many a milsurp from destruction.
Theodore Roosevelt