M91 options

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fmarshall04

M91 options

Post by Fmarshall04 »

Would this rifle ever have had a scope, don't see any mounting areas, or bayonet? Also what's the type of sling that would be most era correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Almost_Samurai

Re: M91 options

Post by Almost_Samurai »

It would take an M91 socketed bayonet. (Not the 91/30 spring loaded bayonet) although it will fit.

https://goo.gl/images/yHSz1b

It would take fabric/leather sling with dog collars.

https://goo.gl/images/dVP68R

No scope that I am aware of.
Last edited by Almost_Samurai on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Scope not likely although if it is SA marked and was owned by the Finns anything is possible. Slings are multiple as the Finns and Russians often used what they had. Bayonet the slotted ring type although the spring type shorter one is often seen on an M91 and the slotted ring ones are getting mighty pricey. Need more pictures to tell you much else or you can do it the old fashioned way and read up on it. Bill :D
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

When zeebill mentions pricey many of them are going for $100.00 and up. On page 2 of the forum I have a thread titled M91 bayonet with a recent purchase I just made. They can be found on Ebay here and there and in most cases get bid up pretty high. Good luck! I HAD to have one too :thumbsup:

From the photo it looks as if you are missing the M91 cleaning rod, another hard to track item but they can be found. At least you have the M91 Hand guard. Seems as if the parts of these rifles are quite rare and pricey.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

M91's never had scopes on them. Scopes and snipers started after the M91/30's came out.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

dolk wrote:M91's never had scopes on them. Scopes and snipers started after the M91/30's came out.
Never say never when talking Mosin's. This picture surfaced out of the Finnish National Archives a few years ago. The location and time frame was unknown but is likely sometime in 1944 or later since the third rifle down the line appears to be a M39 SOV sniper rifle that wasn't fielded until 1944. The first, second and fourth rifles are M91's with what looks like PE or PEM scopes in top mounts.
finn m91 sniper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Wow! An M91 Ex-Sniper would be AMAZING to find. Got me checking mine for patched holes :chuckles:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

dolk wrote:M91's never had scopes on them. Scopes and snipers started after the M91/30's came out.
Dolk you of all people should have known better than to never say never! I have been bitten by that never word so often I almost without fail try to leave myself a way out of things like that. :lol: Bill

PS I knew of that picture but I just couldn't find it fast enough like one of the young bucks did.
Denny-

Post by Denny- »

ssg_lord wrote:
Never say never when talking Mosin's. This picture surfaced out of the Finnish National Archives a few years ago. The location and time frame was unknown but is likely sometime in 1944 or later since the third rifle down the line appears to be a M39 SOV sniper rifle that wasn't fielded until 1944. The first, second and fourth rifles are M91's with what looks like PE or PEM scopes in top mounts.
finn m91 sniper.jpg
Great pic that has been kicking around for a number of years. Check out Vol. II pg. 108 of your copy of Mr. Palokangas's book. The pic is titled "various models of sniper rifles being zeroed during the Continuation War. Denny
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Bottom line is most M91's never had a scope, and if the op"'s doesn't have any holes in it, it never did either.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis