Off the Rarity Charts - [SA] 1939 M/38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Off the Rarity Charts - [SA] 1939 M/38

Post by bunkysdad »

Would it be mean to mix up all the post it notes? :twisted:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, just make sure you leave a note saying you did it :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Firegirl842

Post by Firegirl842 »

Hi everyone-

I recently purchased what I believe to be a 1939 Izhevsk M38 by accident. I am not a gun collector but I thought I was purchasing a Mauser from 1939 (that's what the pawn shop had it listed as.) I paid $110 with tax and the background check fee so I thought I was getting a great deal on a cool piece of history. My husband loves hand guns and I shop for antique guns (gives me something to hunt for when we visit pawn shops, gun stores, et al).

Again, I'm not an expert on gun by any stretch of the imagination so I need some help validating what I am reading online.

I've attached some pictures and I'm terribly sorry they are not the best. It appears to be missing a sling, a cleaning rod and the forward sight appears to be broken. None of the serial numbers match which I know devalues the Mauser K98 but I have no idea if the same holds true for this rifle.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I valued the rifle at $110 for insurance purposes but I'm not sure if that is enough.

Thanks! Amber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hi Amber, welcome to the forum.

You have a 1939 Izhevsk 91/30. A nice one it appears. Its hard to tell from the photos, but the metal finish looks off somewhat, maybe not. Also, it looks like the front sight is OK, but again, hard to tell. Maybe you should create a new thread and post up some new photos. The guys here will be happy to help you figure out exactly what you've got.

Again, welcome :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Welcome aboard, Firegirl.

Yes, you have a 1939 Mosin Nagant M91/30. It may have had some alteration to the front sight, so please post some close up pictures of the sight, and all marks that you can find on the barrel shank.

If you begin a new thread, you will get a lot of competent information on your "Mauser (ha!)" purchase. And at $110, you did well on the price, too.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:alien:
Welcome Firegirl. You have entered into a thing we like to call a disease here....Mosinitis or mosin fever. It looks like the guys have identified it for you.
It appears that the front sight has been changed to the old style for some reason and if you give us better pics of it we can tell you for sure. The price you paid from the pictures you gave i would say you are ahead already. Welcome :D
Last edited by desdem12 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the Forum , nice 91/30 you found, what kind of antique firearms are you collecting other than this one?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I had promised Ron that I would re-make the original post to fit the Showcase guidelines. So, I did! Please refer to the edited original post on page 1.

Can anyone see anything to add or correct? Thanks.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks good to me Martin :thumbsup: Did you add the curse section to it? :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

desdem12 wrote:Looks good to me Martin :thumbsup: Did you add the curse section to it? :lol:

I ain't afraid of no pox. :twisted:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The Early Stock M38 - Finn Capture is now on the Showcase, linked to this thread & a link is also in the index. I think this one is my favorite on the Showcase so far. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice job Martin...well done :)

Thanks for your hard work Rongo!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Image Image Image

Nice find and great rifle Martin, got my eye out for one like yours! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bb91 wrote:Image Image Image

Nice find and great rifle Martin, got my eye out for one like yours! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Good luck.

There are not may SA marked M38's out there and those of us that have them NEVER sell them (hardly)! :wink:

Dolk
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Very nice!!
SDH1903

Post by SDH1903 »

Yes sir off the charts! Nice rifle for any collection!-STeve
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Another great rifle from your collection. I think the Polish carbines are just as worthy of the showcase :wink:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Knuckledragger wrote:Another great rifle from your collection. I think the Polish carbines are just as worthy of the showcase :wink:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Knuckledragger. And good to see you migrating to this board!

But alas, both of my Polish carbines have been to the basement of the infamous BUBBA. One with his homemade chop saw, and the other from the likelihood of Interarms, itself, as a specially cut walnut sporter stock was fitted to the shortened barrel shank.

Yes, I made replica stocks for them, and kept the originals. But short of finding a real original Wz.91/98/25 stock to install, I would think it would be better for this preservation forum to have a member present an unaltered specimen when and if possible.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

BTT
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

I skimmed through this thread the best I could. On the '39 M38 in the 11th photo of the butt stock was it ever determined what the "A" with the dot above it stamped in the stock is? Only curious because I have an M91 with the same mark, same location. It is a Finned Stock. Perhaps just the proof mark in the 1940's? Would give me an idea when the stock was refurbished.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)