Just received one of my dream rifles today, a 1919 Tula

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
willyj73

Just received one of my dream rifles today, a 1919 Tula

Post by willyj73 »

I just received one of my top "wants" today. The rifle is a 1919 Tula M91. As far as I know, Tula had three variations of it's marking in 1919--a star, a double star, and a large hammer. Mine is a double star. The stock appears to have been overly cleaned on the left side butt, and underneath. I was hoping the discoloration was the effect of shipping materials and cold weather, but that doesn't appear to be the case (it may be less noticeable after wiping down--maybe some of the oils will blend in a little). The stock is from a WW1 Austrian captured rifle, with Finnish repairs to the holes of the Austrian sling swivels. A wooden cross bolt is also visible on the stock (I am interested in checking the stocks date under the butt plate). There are also a few minor cracks in the stock, one of which is visible on the left tang area. These don't come up for sale very often, so I was really happy to find one recently. The large hammer version is also at the top of my "want" list. Below are some photos I took not long after unboxing the rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Re: Just received one of my dream rifles today, a 1919 Tula

Post by willyj73 »

More photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Cool.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That lady has been around, nice.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I took the rifle out of the stock and checked under the butt plate. Unfortunately, I could not see a date or any other markings on the butt of the stock. The stock dates to 1896 or earlier as it was originally designed for the shorter cleaning rod. The hole for the retaining nut is plugged. The cleaning rod channel is deeper where the original rod would have resided. Thick shims in the tang area. Some cracks where the rear band presses against the stock. Previous owner must have shimmed the barrel. Tang date on the rifle is 1919.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I'm also guessing the previous owner added a hand guard to the rifle--it was probably imported without one. The hand guard is a little too long, and the screw hole for the front band is covered (the screws that Finland added to retain the barrel bands). Luckily, I bought spare screws when they were available--but my supply is pretty low (maybe four or five).
Mosin Fanboy
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup:
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Great looking rifle.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Very cool!
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Previous owner shimmed the barrel up with a piece of wood and steel wool?
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Yes

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Almost_Samurai wrote:Previous owner shimmed the barrel up with a piece of wood and steel wool?
I mean if it worked lol.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Everyone needs an RFSFR. Funny that I have seen too many out of Finland. Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: