1860 COlt Army model .44 original

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

1860 COlt Army model .44 original

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One of my helpers has had this in his family since the War, he brought it to me for identification. Early four screw Colt 1860 Army model .44, original, and could still be fired, it's tight, lockwork functional, bore good. I don't think he intends to shoot it, he wanted an ID and value for insurance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1860 COlt Army model .44 original

Post by millman »

:vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Wow that's a beauty!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Note the condition of the screw heads, even after 150+ years they aren't buggered all to hell. I suspect this has not been apart since the war, it's been kept wrapped in oily rags in a cupboard for as long as anyone in the family can remember, and current living memory is 80 years. Looks like it saw some serious use, but was cared for, they way you care for something if you life depended on it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ironnewt wrote:Very nice, thanks for sharing.
No problem, I thanked the kid for bringing it out, not many of these early '60's come out, most are hidden away in museums under glass.
Theodore Roosevelt
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

Nice old gun Bubba never got his hands on. What would something like that be worth today? My guess 1 to 1.5 K. maybe that's too generous
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At the low end. GB seems to want 800 for a rusty dug up fragment of one. My guess it would top out at $2300 going by what similar revolvers have brought on the internet, local 900-1300, another reason not to sell local in a small market. He did mention that his girlfriends uncle wanted to buy it, I told him to keep it in the family, but if they did want to sell I would top what he said the GF's uncle offered. The uncle's gonna hate me because I gave the kid a standing offer double what he offered bringing it into the area of fair market value, but I strongly advised him to keep it in the family, I explained that values on things like this only go up. This isn't grandpa's 1930's nickel plated .32 no name special, this is something rare and highly sought after. If they end up in a financial pinch I may get the revolver, I don't need it, cool as it is this is an earlier period than I collect. I prefer the reproductions as I like to shoot them a lot, and I don't worry about hurting the value, or damaging one of the repops.

Years back I bought a similar revolver from an older lady who was retiring to a nursing home. It belonged to her great grandfather, he had been mentioned in dispatches for failing to stop a CSA raid on his command in the Shenandoah valley. I later sold it back to another member of the family. It wasn't in as good a condition as this one, less than perfect storage.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

nice revolver, I hope the kid listens to you and doesn't sell it or trade for drugs or cash.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not that kind of family, and it's his moms revolver. I call him a kid because I still remember selling him parts when he was still too young to drive, but he's past millennial generation age and has four kids of his own now. I told him one day one of them might want it
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

That's really cool! If it were mine I'd "pony" up for a Colt letter on that one! That would be something that would justify it's collectability and value.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I suggested it, but it's up to them to do it or not, I don't think they will be selling it. They just wanted an idea about value after being pestered to sell it, now it will be properly insured.
Theodore Roosevelt
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

What a great family gun!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Beautiful! :big shock: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Wow,love the patina on it,i would love to just hold it.
A family treasure for sure.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I'd love to own that. A real treasure you can hold in your hands.

Dolk
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

I have a 32 cal. that I would never sell. [img]http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t396/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

If I had something like that passed down through the family I would never sell it. :Drool1: :Drool1: