1894 Sestroryetsk / Finn Capture

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

Re: 1894 Sestroryetsk / Finn Capture

Post by Almost_Samurai »

RugerNut wrote:That is a nice rifle. For it being made in 1894, it looks absolutely fabulous! How does she shoot?
In all honosty I haven't found the space to shoot her yet. I have private property pistol range but for this ol' girl I want some distance. Besides that, I wanted to learn all I could about the rifle before I throw rounds out of it and possibly have something happen that I can't fix. I'm building up the courage :mrgreen:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

I took a few more pictures, with some different lighting... no flash. I spent all my monies on guns, can't afford a decent camera.... :chuckles: :chuckles:

"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
RugerNut

Post by RugerNut »

Can you please take some pics of the stamped receiver? Thanks!
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

RugerNut wrote:Can you please take some pics of the stamped receiver? Thanks!
Did you see the gallery??? There's pictures of every inch of this rifle. It's an Imgur link in the Main post. The receiver is a Chatt... No date on tang. Pic is in there and labeled.
Almost_Samurai

1894 Sestroryetsk Mosin Nagant (updated Photos, Info)

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Thank you to the very well educated team of the Russian Mosin Nagant forum!!
I've received so much helpful information and kind words while trying to learn everything I can about this Mosin I recently acquired.
They've been very patient and understanding with me. I've had a couple previous posts about this rifle in the learning stage but I would like to post this thread as a "Sit back, soak it in and Enjoy thread". I got as detailed as I could with photos being I was asked multiple times for additional pictures.
Cheers!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1894 Sestroryetsk Mosin Nagant, Finn Capture/Purchase

Stock - 51 1/2" long, Possibly refinished stock Post Arsenal (shame). It has a Finnish prewar/war time finger splice in stock forward of receiver. End rivets in upper hand guard are copper.
Barrel - 1894 Sestroryetsk, Finn Capture/Purchase [SA], Reworked for Finnish D166 cartridge [D], Russian Point of Aim Proof (K). Beautiful, Crisp Roll Mark. Quite a few unknown numbers/letters on the underside of the barrel.
Barrel Cont. - Rear sight remarked for Finnish meters from Russian Arshin.
Barrel Cont. - No import mark on barrel,
Receiver Chatellerault Receiver, Made between 1892-1895, No date on Tang
Trigger Guard and Mag Assembly - Quite a few unknown marks present here, (8), (m), (KS) and (BC)
Trigger Guard and Mag Assembly Cont. - Serial scrubbed from floor plate.
Bolt - Serial number scrubbed and force matched, the numbers have different styles to the barrel serial. Parts from Izhevsk, Tula and possibly Remington (R). Early Cocking knob, larger diameter with relief on bottom.
Butt Plate - The symbol struck into the stock also appears on the bolt, it looks like a 9 and 2 overlapped. There is also a "77" stamp on Butt Plate. The Butt Plate was also machined with counter sink screw holes rather than pressed, pointing to an early date.
Misc Parts - Notice wear and tear to the fore grip fastening ring screws... Left to tighten, Right to loosen. Finnish M91 Sling swivels.

It has been an absolute pleasure, I hope you enjoy this thread as much as I did making it.
(Admins) This is an updated thread based on picture requests and information gained, I wasn't sure where it belonged. Thank You.