1894 Sestroryetsk / Finn Capture

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

1894 Sestroryetsk / Finn Capture

Post by Almost_Samurai »

1894 Sestroryetsk, Finn capture

Link below to gallery :pointdown:

1894 Sestroryetsk

* I just recently acquired information on the first private buyer of this rifle in the U.S. He purchased it from the Sportman's Guide catalog in the early 90's. It came wrapped in grease paper and cosmoline so he believes it had just come out of long term storage at that point. This may be why I was unable to find import markings.

Admins, Thank you for your consideration,
Samurai
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1894 Sestroryetsk / Finn Capture

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Import markings have been federally mandated to be placed on imported firearms since the 1968 amendment to the 1934 gun control act, otherwise known as GCA68. In the late 80's when these Finns came in the import mark was very tiny and faint, placed up by the muzzle. Being an 1894 it is possible that the marking was overlooked given that the government does not consider anything made 1898 and down to be a firearm unless it's an SBR, or full auto ( like a Maxim gun) State laws vary but you do not need any FFL to transfer a Mosin made before 1898, even if most sellers insist on one anyway. If the import mark was omitted for that reason it would be the first time I heard of it happening . I have many M91's from that lot, they were around $40 or less back then, all of mine have that tiny import marking.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You are going to need more pictures for Rongo to look at before it can be considered for the showcase.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It's a nice Sestroryetsk that has Finn stampings.
As Junk Yard Dog stated; Check the end of the barrel for the small import stamp, the time period of sale from Sportsmans guide would fit with President Reagan's Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 allowing arms to be imported from other nations. That began the flood of the imports. I would be very surprised if there isn't a stamp near the muzzle.

One thing I noticed from the pictures is the nice condition and shine of the stock & finish. It looks to me that it was refinished at some point. Many people who bought these old rifles could not resist doing a little woodwork to pretty them up. Maybe the previous owner dabbled a bit in the minwax poly?
If it was refinished it would not be something we would place on the showcase.

Maybe it's just the glare from the flash of the camera... Hard to tell. More pictures and a deeper description would help.

But yeah, otherwise it's a nice Sestroryetsk.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

They are getting awful hard to find these days. I just love the barrel markings! Bill :wink:
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Import markings have been federally mandated to be placed on imported firearms since the 1968 amendment to the 1934 gun control act, otherwise known as GCA68.
Is there a common mark I'm looking for? Do you have an example? I will take better lighting and barrel pictures when I return home.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Rongo wrote:Maybe it's just the glare from the flash of the camera... Hard to tell. More pictures and a deeper description would help.
It's nice looking in spots and wear in others it's hard to tell. Theres grit and dirt that looks aged on top layer at edges. I will get better lighting and more photos for you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Almost_Samurai wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Import markings have been federally mandated to be placed on imported firearms since the 1968 amendment to the 1934 gun control act, otherwise known as GCA68.
Is there a common mark I'm looking for? Do you have an example? I will take better lighting and barrel pictures when I return home.
No pic at the moment, it will be very tiny, and not stamped deep, up by the muzzle on the barrel was the common location. It's so small that I never got a good picture of import markings from that era.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Wow, ok. I'll look. I did see wear marks maybe from a bayonet at one time. I will look more aggressively ;)
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Almost_Samurai wrote:Wow, ok. I'll look. I did see wear marks maybe from a bayonet at one time. I will look more aggressively ;)
It should be on the right side of the barrel at the muzzle or possibly the very bottom of barrel.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Almost_Samurai wrote:
No pic at the moment, it will be very tiny, and not stamped deep, up by the muzzle on the barrel was the common location. It's so small that I never got a good picture of import markings from that era.
So there should be a mark... But no one can tell me if it's a design stamp/laser etching... Words... Or a picture lol. I can assure I've found noting on barrel from the handguard forward. Except the wear marks in the photo provided of the front sight.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

If the import mark looks like light scratch marks from a bayonet possibly then yes it has an import mark :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's a stamp , the words are very tiny, if I get a chance later I will see what I can find for an example.
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

0M27CrateSmall26.jpg
like so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

shoto2758 wrote: like so.
A-ha! Thank you Sir. Yeah that mark is quite obvious.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's a stamp , the words are very tiny, if I get a chance later I will see what I can find for an example.
Thank you. I don't have anything like the picture posted above. That's for sure. I'll be home tomorrow evening and take another look. I went over the thing with a magnifying glass. If it is there it's got to be microscopic or rubbed off.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Almost_Samurai wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's a stamp , the words are very tiny, if I get a chance later I will see what I can find for an example.
Thank you. I don't have anything like the picture posted above. That's for sure. I'll be home tomorrow evening and take another look. I went over the thing with a magnifying glass. If it is there it's got to be microscopic or rubbed off.
So I made it home Junk Yard Dog, I have absolutely no import markings on the muzzle. I know it doesn't change the value either way. I do have a few symbols on the rifle in the gallery I provided that I know nothing about... the picture description will say "Unknown". Perhaps the import mark is a symbol on another part of the rifle? If not how do you imagine it came state side unless first U.S. buyer was mistaken about where he purchased it? :vconfused: :vconfused: :vconfused: Thank you guys, I love learning about this thing.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Almost_Samurai wrote:
Rongo wrote:Maybe it's just the glare from the flash of the camera... Hard to tell. More pictures and a deeper description would help.
It's nice looking in spots and wear in others it's hard to tell. Theres grit and dirt that looks aged on top layer at edges. I will get better lighting and more photos for you.
Rongo, What would you like to see in a new round of pictures? The gallery provides a detailed breakdown of the rifle and every stamp/mark she has on her. If you could let me know we can have another photo shoot :cam2.gif: lol. Thanks.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Could simply have been imported from Finland before 1968 when the US government began mandating import marks on firearms brought into the country. I believe some rifles were imported from Finland before ;68, and they likely would have been older ones such as this, and not the still in use at the time M39's. That or it just wasn't marked, being 1894 this is not a firearm by four years so far as Uncle is concerned. You can buy and sell this in the mail with no FFL on either end.
Theodore Roosevelt
RugerNut

Post by RugerNut »

That is a nice rifle. For it being made in 1894, it looks absolutely fabulous! How does she shoot?