An interesting (but neglected) 1928 Izhevsk Dragoon (Arsenal repaired? Thoughts?)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lthilsdorf

An interesting (but neglected) 1928 Izhevsk Dragoon (Arsenal repaired? Thoughts?)

Post by lthilsdorf »

I haven't bought a Mosin Nagant in many months (been focused more on Japanese items the last few years), but when I saw this very neglected dragoon was up for auction an hour from me, I decided to make the drive and bid on it. I managed to win it for a decent price, and I have come to find it's a pretty interesting rifle. It's covered in surface rust, but I've already done a cursory cleaning of it and taken off the active rust. Already it looks much better, though of course there is pitting where that rust was. Bluing isn't bad at all though. I'll post detailed "after" pictures when I finish it completely.

So here are the interesting things. First, it seems the bolt, floor plate, and butt plate all match the rifle. However, the bolt body looks to be Tula marked. In fact, the rest of the rifle appears to be Izhevsk minus the bolt body, both barrel band retainers, and the nose cap. The rest of the parts are Izhevsk using either the triangle mark or bow and arrow. I believe 1928 was a switch over year for these style of markings, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The rifle also has a "P 8" mark on the top of the tang and a "00" on the barrel shank. I can't seem to find the topic, but I believe there was a discussion on these markings being indicative of arsenal repair? Possibly pre war? Again, please correct me, I'm going off memory right now, ha!

The stock is interesting in that it doesn't have any arsenal cartouche, but several numbers and a small inspector mark I can't read. I've had it apart and didn't find anything under the hand guard or stock channel either. Any thoughts? Stock also has wire sling swivels on it, in the SCW style, but for some reason I'm not getting my SCW vibe from this rifle. No war time era parts appear to be on it though, so this would make sense.

Regardless, it's an interesting rifle and I'm glad I picked it up. As I said, I already started cleaning and it looks 1000x's better already.

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
steelbuttplate

Re: An interesting (but neglected) 1928 Izhevsk Dragoon (Arsenal repaired? Thoughts?)

Post by steelbuttplate »

The 00 is the old accuracy mark, used at Ishevsk in the late 20's. That's a beaut, and all matching is rare I guess. No import mark ?
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
AMCHornet

Re: An interesting (but neglected) 1928 Izhevsk Dragoon (Arsenal repaired? Thoughts?)

Post by AMCHornet »

The "00" is a proof mark to indicate the assembled rifle passed the 47,000 PSI "strengthened" cartridge proof test at the arsenal.

I'll tell you what I know from the best of my knowledge. I may be wrong, however.

I don't think it went through the standard postwar refurbishment. The lettering on the barrel is crisp and distinct and the refinishing process used during refurbishment made the lettering more faint and blurred. Another reason is that it is an intact Dragoon. To the extend of my knowledge, any Dragoons that went through postwar refurbishment were converted to M91/30's.

I doubt the bolt, butt plate, magazine floor plate, or stock are original. The bolt shows signs that it's original serial number was ground off and this number stamped onto it. The font of serial numbers on the bolt, magazine, and butt plate all match each other, but are slightly different than the barrel. This suggests they were all replaced at the same time. The stock is likely not original as well. It seems the metal fittings for the stocls (barrel bands, springs, and cap) stayed with the stocks as the stocks were refurbished, so that stock likely came from a Tula rifle. The stock appears to be covered in red shellac. I've heard that red shellac was applied to refurbished stocks and that the original finish was more of an oil finish, but I have not been able to verifty that.

So, I don't think it is a standard postwar refurb, but it may be a product of an earlier prewar refurb or may have some arsenal repairs done "as needed".
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

I'm going to say that's perfect. Great find . Some elbow grease and it will fine. I've never come across a Dragoon so regardless if it's not all matching I would scream like a 7 year old at Taylor Swift concert if a I came across one. Bravo.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That should clean up fine. Get some Big 45.com, some lightweight oil and the entire Star Wars series and have fun.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Curious as to what the bore, chamber, barrel looked like.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like this one. I have never found a wire sling hanger rifle, whether SCW or Balkan and only have the Finn hangers. Great find here. The rust looks like this rifle stood in the corner of a garage or barn, or closet and was forgotten for some time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote:The 00 is the old accuracy mark, used at Ishevsk in the late 20's. That's a beaut, and all matching is rare I guess. No import mark ?
Line 20 of the Russian proof marks, 7.62x54.net
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

Kroil penetrating oil & Bronze wool. Just let it soak into the rust for a few days. The bronze wool will take off a lot without damaging the bluing. Kroil works good in rusted bores too.
knormal

Post by knormal »

Great find! Alternately to elbow grease, you could use a rust removal electrolysis method (heavily documented online) just need arm and hammer washing soda and an automotive battery charger. It'll remove all the rust you can't see with the naked eye without risk of adding scratches to the finish. Just remove it from the stock first. You can even rig up a device to de-rust the bore.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Thank you for the comments everyone! I'm very happy with this rifle, even more now that the cleanup is basically complete.

I have pretty much finish up the clean up process, so I thought I'd share some "after" photos. Quite a difference I'd say! I'm very pleased with how this turned out. There's still a bit of rust here and there, but it'll be taken care of.

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Wow turning out nice. Amazing how much better it looks, seeing that at first glance I thought it would be a lost cause. Great save!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Good job. Good rifle.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

wELL DONE GOOD SAVE!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice save, it looks great
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!