I must be cursed... Problem with me 2nd nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

Ok so Most of you know I've been fighting with the M38 for a few months not trying to figure out whats wrong with it,

well last week I got a 91/30. Took it home, checked headspace and all that good stuff and its great.

Its still in the box sitting in cosomline as I havent had time to play with it,

well I decided to put a round in it just to see how the action on it felt VS the one In my m38,

bolt moves forward about half an inch and stops, the round gets stuck just ourside the Mag, and I've got to push it back into the Mag and drop the mag out the bottome to get it out....

So my question is, should I clean the cosmoline off and try again, or take it back to the shop I got it at? I really don't want to deal with 2 broken Nagants.... NO ONE IS THAT UNLUCKY.
desdem12

Re: I must be cursed... Problem with me 2nd nagant

Post by desdem12 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :no: :no:
Ok this is an interupter problem or just not loaded correctly. Try pushing it in the mag and then male sure it sits up so the tip is slightly pointing up. Some times if it isn't put in right it will sit to low and have the problem you are haveing. Move it araound a little while in the mag until it sits up like it is supposed to. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

I think this is the last straw and I'm just gonna sell both....

:|

I don't have time to deal with 2 broken rifles
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Have you tried your snap caps in this rifle?
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Take the action out of the stock and clean the cosmo off. The interrupter could easily be gummed up with a boatload of grease.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This one isn't broken!!!!! Just try moving the bullet around and pushing it in further till it pops into the right place. Try more then one and you should see what i am talking about. it just isn't sitting in the proper spot is all. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

Put a full mag of 5 and still cant get it to move, and when I say the round is stuck... I mean I have to take a screw driver and push it back to the bolt head with alot of force.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

z31jaime wrote:Put a full mag of 5 and still cant get it to move, and when I say the round is stuck... I mean I have to take a screw driver and push it back to the bolt head with alot of force.
Without seeing it, hard to say what is going on. I'll just say this. The last time I got a Mosin Nagant out of the box that was packed in cosmoline, there is no way I could have gotten the gun to operate in any way shape or form without completely disassembling it and thoroughly cleaning all of that Russian gook and goo out of it.....Sorry you are having these problems, because these guns are a ton of fun to shoot and collect. :vsad:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

First thing you should do is clean the whole rifle.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Sounds exactly like what happened with a rifle I had. When the bolt would strip a round from the mag, the rim would actually be too wide to pass up into the receiver and would get stuck.

Snap caps were small enough to pass, but live rounds would get stuck.

What I would was the "slot" where the extractor is had been hit and caused the narrow lower portion to bulge in slightly.

A small tap out wards with a rubber mallet fixed this issue. The metal is actually pretty easy to move, so be careful.

I can take pics if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

but if it is "broken" wouldn't cleaning it cause issues with taking it back to the store? Like they could say... "you broke it" Im down to clean it and all, just wanted to see what you guys think....
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Clean it and check it. Or you will not know.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

BTW pix of the 2nd POS Mosin Nagant... LOL

Shes not a blond or a Red shes just that right shade.... LOL.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sure does look nice :vcool: :vcool:
jdchen0407

Post by jdchen0407 »

You are cursed the only fix is to buy a 3rd :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

That's a nice looking arsenal refurb Tula. There is no reason why it should not operate if cleaned and loaded properly. These are big rimmed cartridges. They must be loaded in the magazine properly to feed through the rifle. Otherwise, "rim lock" becomes an issue. Review the attached link and accompanying video to see how the cartridges should sit in the magazine and feed through the action:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinVideo.htm
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Tjt is spot on. That is a good looking rifle, but you have gor to clean that gun. And no live rounds in the house please. Cleaning has to be very thorough too including complete disassembly of the bolt and scrubbing of the chamber then when you load it do like tjt says. You are gonna be fine. I still bet a dollar your m38 needs better cleaning too. You would not believe how much crap gets inro the hidden places including inside the pieces of the bolt.
Remember this friend. If you gave not taken every screw and part off for proper cleaning then it is still not clean. Not talking about the few pieces on the stock that don't normally come off easily of course.
Wish you the best,
Russell
jdchen0407

Post by jdchen0407 »

just wondering... have you tried switching the bolts on your rifles just to see if it solved the problem on the first rifle you were having a problem with? :thumbsup:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jdchen0407 wrote:just wondering... have you tried switching the bolts on your rifles just to see if it solved the problem on the first rifle you were having a problem with? :thumbsup:
He not only used a bolt from another rifle, the one in this thread, but another forum member mailed him a bolt and headspace guage to check that rifle.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... f=5&t=2792
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

correct I'm 100% sure that the issue with the M38 has to be in the Rifle and not the Bolts.