1973 Marlin 39M

Rim Fire Firearms
ffuries

1973 Marlin 39M

Post by ffuries »

Here's a 1973 Marlin Original Golden - 39M my father purchased new from the Rod & Gun Club at Zaragoza AB, Spain in 73. It was the first gun I ever fired/carried for hunting, I was responsible for its upkeep and cleaning from 75-77 while we were stationed at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. He bought the sling at the same time and they've been together since. The rifle has the Bullseye decoration on the bottom of the buttstock, which Marlin has done to walnut stocked guns for sometime. Pain to get a picture of it due to the sling. The scope is some cheap TASCO thing my dad put on it to shoot rats, possum, and other varmints from the porch later in life.

I inherited the rifle in Sept 2011 a week or so prior to my dads passing. The gun was stored in less than desirable conditions for some years prior to me getting it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Re: 1973 Marlin 39M

Post by ffuries »

Last of the pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice! The 39 was by far the finest .22 lever action ever made. They are usually match rifle accurate. :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Very nice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

entropy wrote:Nice! The 39 was by far the finest .22 lever action ever made. They are usually match rifle accurate. :vcool:
My bucket list grows again.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Navy ret

Post by Navy ret »

Love the lever arc, trigger and stock shape. The guys that designed the 39 truly made it a work of love.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I like the Mounties, but I have never seen one for sale in my budget range. Guess I'll have to be content with this one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote:I like the Mounties, but I have never seen one for sale in my budget range. Guess I'll have to be content with this one.
I always thought the Mountie was a 39A variant, never knew the M on the 39M stood for Mountie. So the Mountie was both a 39A and 39M variant. I had to Google that to learn that.

So what do Mounties go for these days?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Mounties are shorter and have a straight grip. Other than that they are the same as a 39a.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ffuries wrote:...
There is one on GB right now with a starting bid of $850. That is about what I thought the retail price would be. They aren't making the pre cross bolt safety rifles or mounties( of any kind I don't think) anymore, so I would say it is a sellers market.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Good Gawd I better take care of mine then. I've got to wonder what my dad paid for in 73? Well he might not have paid for it to think of it. He had the 22 and a Wichester Model 94 30-30 Antique one he bought and one he won at the Zaragoza Rod & Gun Club. So either he bought the 22 or won it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Mine is a 1984 model 39a. It is one of the few years that had a blue trigger instead of a gold one. I think it is the next to last year to not have the modern safety. I got it for my 13th birthday. My grandfather got it at Target and paid leas than $200 IIRC. Yeah Target sold guns then.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote:
ffuries wrote:...
There is one on GB right now with a starting bid of $850. That is about what I thought the retail price would be. They aren't making the pre cross bolt safety rifles or mounties( of any kind I don't think) anymore, so I would say it is a sellers market.
I'm watching a older scratch & dent model that's gonna sell under $400. It's not bad, got a little character and looks broken in.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"