Pretty Good Deal...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

Pretty Good Deal...

Post by qz2026 »

OK, it's been a little slow here for a while, so I thought I would post this. Nothing, too unusual about this carbine. There are lots of these out there. The story, however, should make you smile.

So, I was perusing GunBroker ads recently when I came across this carbine. The pictures nor the description detailed the things we look for in Milsurps. But, at least the pictures did indicate a matching bolt. And, by the looks of the carbine, the chances were high that it was fully matching. The seller obviously didn't know what he had since he had a BIN of $375 listed. Even though I've got one of these already that I paid more than the BIN price listed, and thinking that if this carbine was complete it would be the deal of the century, my interest peaked. Then I noticed that the seller was in my town - a local gun shop. It was about 8 a.m. and they didn't open until 10. I had to know more details about the gun with the thoughts that it would be quickly snatched up. I was now on pins and needles knowing from experience that if you don't jump quickly the rifle will surely be gone. I got a hold of them about 10:20 and asked if the gun was matching. He checked and said yes. I then asked about the bore condition. He said it was dark and hard to tell. Knowing these Polish carbines, my thoughts were that the bore was full of grease so I committed to purchase it from him if he would take the ad down. He agreed.

A couple of hours later I went to the shop to look at it. No surprises although I really couldn't tell much from the bore either, although I did notice some, what appeared to be, be dirty lands. Didn't matter, I'd check that out later. We sealed the deal. His policy for GunBroker items, if sold in the shop, was to reduce the price because he would have to charge sales tax. Most sellers who sell to folks in their state just add sales tax to whatever the sold price is. So I brought this one home for $344 out the door. He was happy too because to him it was just another Russian M-44 and was sold at a good price. I just smiled...

When I got it home, I immediately got it on the bench to check out the bore. The first patch I ran down the bore was "scratchy" (not the best sign) and came out brown - not necessarily "grease" brown either. I felt an "oh shit" feeling coming on but I continued on. Brass brush loosened up some pretty major powder fowling. I suspect the folks at Radom test fired all of these guns but this was significantly more fowling than a test firing would produce. The gun shop owner told me that the gun was on consignment so my thoughts are the the owner had taken it out and shot more than a few rounds through it (while still in substantial grease) then threw it in the closet without cleaning until he decided to sell it. The bolt internals also showed signs of being fired more than testing. Anyway even with the use of the brass brush and liberal amounts of Hoppes, the bore still felt scratchy. It was now time to show the bore who was boss and find out the truth... Time to wrap the brush with some Big 45. That did the job. After that the bore transformed to pristine with very high shine just a would be expected for one of these guns. The bore has so much shine that I found it difficult to get a good bore shot.

With my other example of these later Polish M-44's (a 1953), I did not take note of all the parts nor photograph them. I'll guess I'll have to rip it apart and check. With this new carbine, all the parts are stamped with either a circle 11, a common inspection stamping or both - even the barrel band springs and bayonet. I've got more than my share of Polish M-44's and I haven't seen this amount of stampings. Like I say, Ill have to check the 1953 but I guess I would have remembered it. Maybe it was something they did in 1955. Don't know yet.

Anyway, this just goes to show that there are still deals out there. And anymore, you have to react quickly when these deals appear because they won't last long. I'm really surprised this wasn't snatched up sooner..

Mosin Nagant Polish M-44
1955 Radom
s./n AD7402
CDI SWAN VT
2 - 1Rifle.jpg
2 - Action.jpg
2 - Barrel.jpg
2 - Butt Stock.jpg
You can see the bluing blemish in the top right picture. Not a big deal to me.
3 - Bench.jpg
3 - Bore and Chamber.jpg
3 - Numbers.jpg
3 - Stampings 1.jpg
3 - Stampings 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ksbanker

Re: Pretty Good Deal...

Post by ksbanker »

Great buy! Always exciting when a bore cleans up how you hope it does.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A great deal on a great rifle. If it was mine I would be knocking on Rongo's door to get a key to the showcase.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

What type of wood is used for the stock on these? The quality and texture of the wood looks different than Russian stocks or is it due to how they were finished versus different wood.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Longcolt44 wrote:A great deal on a great rifle. If it was mine I would be knocking on Rongo's door to get a key to the showcase.
Really, these are pretty common and in almost 100% of the cases, these are brand new, out of the box (grease if you will...), rifles that have never been issued. A little different from the rarity of rifles found in the Showcase.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

ffuries wrote:What type of wood is used for the stock on these? The quality and texture of the wood looks different than Russian stocks or is it due to how they were finished versus different wood.
You know, I'm not totally sure. It resembles a type of arctic birch. Very similar to what we refer to as the "Czech" stocks that some of the later M-44's were mounted in. The only difference being the "Czech" stock had a different and thicker finish put on. This particular breed of Polish M-44's doesn't appear to have had any finish put on them. If anything a light sealant.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

ffuries wrote:What type of wood is used for the stock on these? The quality and texture of the wood looks different than Russian stocks or is it due to how they were finished versus different wood.
I think there all beech. The ones listed in this condition I've seen lately started at $450 or more. The last Radom I got has a beat up Russian stock on it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That wood is gorgeous. Congrats.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I might go along with the beech thought based on the bottom of the forestock. If so, the quality of the beech is a step higher than what was used by the Hungarians... Doesn't see quite as heavy either. The rest of the stock sure looks "birchy" though...
IMG_1792.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

ELM ? Hey, if that blemish puts you off pm me i`ll be glad to buy that brand new rifle.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

M39 Shooter wrote:ELM ? Hey, if that blemish puts you off pm me i`ll be glad to buy that brand new rifle.
I think I'll live with it :) Maybe a little cold blue would fix it. Not too concerned though..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool deal, I have one of these I bought back in the mid 90's. Still in it's commie storage grease. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

That's a nice score on a damn nice rifle! :thumbsup:

The pictures are great, and I've learned about a new gun metal cleaner too. I hadn't heard of Big 45 until now. I'll have to pick up some of it and give it a try! :2cents:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Real good deal on that. Super pictures also, Thank you.
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Some guys have all the luck! :D :thumbsup:
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Great Mosin and great photo presentation.

Congrats on a great deal too.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Pull the barrel off and look in the cutout (may be in the cleaning rod cutout also). There will be a purple ink stamp. That will be the date in "Polish" of the month and year it was made.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I'm pretty sure they are all in Beech. The pictures of that rifle make the wood look lighter because of the light color of the rug. Now you need to find a real Polish sling and ammo pouch. I bought a rifle and sling many years ago at a local gun show for $90 and was carrying it back to my table and was offered $250 for it. I took the money figuring there had to be more of them around at a similar price. 10 years later I got one with right sling and ammo pouches for $225 Friday before the show opened from a buddy. It will never leave my possession for any price now. I turned down $500 in brand new crisp $100 bills awhile back and a trade for it too. It was too hard to find that second one I saw and it is in just too too nice condition. Congrats on yours and Thanks for sharing the pictures with us! Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Somebody offer Bill $1000 for that rifle, I want to see what happens :twisted: :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt