Mosin Nagant problem

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mergatroyd

Mosin Nagant problem

Post by mergatroyd »

If posted to the wrong forum, please move and notify.
New to this forum. Bought Mosin Nagant from crate, cosmoline galore. Some existing small repairs to the stock. Serial numbers match. Have never fired one. Cleaned it and (unintentionally) probably reassembled it with the trigger pin missing. The bolt was not disassembled for cleaning. The trigger is floppy and the bolt will now not remove from the receiver. I have sufficiently chastised myself and need help, not kicks.
Grasping the trigger with pliers and pulling down does not release the bolt from the receiver nor relieve the cocked firing pin. The rear tang screw is covered by the cocked bolt and the rifle cannot be disassembled. Need to remove the bolt.
Probably somewhere, sometime, the same has happened to someone else. Hoping that there is a simple non-destructive solution to this problem. I have envisioned several ways to disassemble the rifle, but all involve damaging or destroying some component or another-- which violates the intent of this forum and my own desires.
Solutions and suggestions appreciated.
Last edited by mergatroyd on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Mosin Nagant problem

Post by Darryl »

app.php/page/48

Re-read the section on re-assembly of bolt.
mergatroyd

Post by mergatroyd »

Excellent tutorial.
It is my assumption that the bolt for my rifle was last disassembled/assembled by a Russian armorer prior to the rifle being packed in cosmoline and into the crate. I did not/have not disassembled the bolt nor adjusted it in any way. And cannot find any instructions for disassembling the bolt while it is in the receiver.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Because it has to be taken out of the rifle to disassemble. :?:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mergatroyd

Post by mergatroyd »

The original problem is that the bolt will not remove from the rifle. My original post with details of the problem has disappeared. Without those details, the succeeding posts make no sense. Was seeking help, no offense intended
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

I recently had the same issue where the trigger pin was not installed with a rifle still packed in cosmoline. Open the bolt and while pulling the trigger with about 20 lbs of force or more see if you can sharply pull the bolt out.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If you have a long small tip screwdriver, you might be able to trip the bolt stop reaching under the bolt with the tip.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

If the trigger pin is broken or missing, pulling down on the trigger would depress the sear spring/bolt stop enough to remove the bolt. My bet is that the screw for the sear spring/bolt stop is loose. Pull the bolt to the rear and look down inside, you should see the top of the screw, the top of it should be flush with the bottom of the bolt channel.

Here's a trick. remove the handguard. Pull the bolt back as far as you can. Unscrew the rear cocking piece and remove it. move the rest of the bolt forward. You can now get to the rear action screw, remove it and front action screw and the magazine, pull the action up and out of the stock. Now you have access to the trigger mechanism and sear spring to troubleshoot.
mergatroyd

Post by mergatroyd »

Not sure what is the handguard.
"Pull the bolt back as far as you can. Unscrew the rear cocking piece and remove it. move the rest of the bolt forward."
This was one of the things considered. I suspect that the firing pin will just rotate and will not unscrew from the cocking piece. And will the cocking piece rotate 360 degrees continuously while the bolt is in the receiver at all? My rifle is at my workshop remote from the house and computer.
entropy

Post by entropy »

steelbuttplate wrote:If you have a long small tip screwdriver, you might be able to trip the bolt stop reaching under the bolt with the tip.
This works; I've done it in the past, and posted it to the old forum; I don't have the pic anymore, unfortunately.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mergatroyd

Post by mergatroyd »

The screwdriver-- like a jewelers screwdriver or larger? Inserted under the firing face of the bolt or where? With bolt open or closed?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Something with a 6-8" long shaft, bolt open, from the bottom rear under the cocking knob. You might need 3 hands. :facepalm2: Last time I tried what I just described I had to get down on my hands and knees.
mergatroyd

Re: Mosin Nagant fixed!

Post by mergatroyd »

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read and respond. I think the 3 hands part is a given. Not available to me. Among things I tried was the stainless steel piece found on the side of the "rubber" on some automobile wiper blades- long and slender.
Since my initial post, I bought another "piece" of a Mosin and placed the barrel next to my stock in the best alignment possible. Marked the trigger pin hole on my stock on the bolt handle side and drilled a 9/64 hole until it hit metal. The 9/64 is slightly smaller than the trigger pin. Alignment not satisfactory. Enlarged to 1/4 and probed with scribe, alignment not quite suitable. Drilled 5/16 and used a 12d common nail in the pin hole.
Success! Bolt is out, rifle is disassembled. The stock already has 2 other round plugs on the bolt side into blind holes as there is no plug on the other side. I wonder why, but that is the way it is. The hole will be plugged.
The pin was absent, as I suspected from the start.
This was one of the ideas I envisioned before I posted
My rifle is Russian, 1943, CAI Georgia Vt for the importer.
Would a new thread be better about the "piece" of Mosin I acquired this week? Sad case!
Thanks again.
Last edited by mergatroyd on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You drilled holes in your weapon? You gotta be fuckin kidding me.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:devil2: He had to :umno: Oh shit :hammer:
mergatroyd

Post by mergatroyd »

1 hole.
Now the other Mosin acquired this week- only parts of it are there and with some modifications by others-- no-nos on this forum. But what if I work to bring it back as near original as is practical-- is that Kosher?
MARKED Russia 1944, PW Arms, Redmond Wa
Last edited by mergatroyd on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

steelbuttplate wrote::devil2: He had to :umno: Oh shit :hammer:
Actually he didn't have to, you can tear one down with the bolt intact once you get the cocking piece off.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

mergatroyd wrote:1 hole.
Now the other Mosin acquired this week- only parts of it are there and with some modifications-- no-nos on this forum. But what if I work to bring it back as near original as is practical-- is that Kosher?
Old but true, you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. We on this forum deal with history. You can't put several parts of different rifles and have factual examples of true history.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

Success! Bolt is out, rifle is disassembled.
A Pyrrhic victory. A rifle ruined. Why would you come on here, ask our learned advice, then not only ignore it, but do precisely what we say NOT to do. You are either an idiot, a troll, or both. You have a bright future ahead of you as "Gunsmith to the ignorant", Bubba G. Smith.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

mergatroyd wrote:1 hole.
Now the other Mosin acquired this week- only parts of it are there and with some modifications by others-- no-nos on this forum. But what if I work to bring it back as near original as is practical-- is that Kosher?
That's not how that works unless you happen to be some time traveling Soviet Armorer from the past. As it is the first rifle is now ruined and you can try to bring the second back to original but by no means should you try to present it as original then.