"Unicorn" arisaka trainer: a 38 Type Nambu Gun

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
burb1989

"Unicorn" arisaka trainer: a 38 Type Nambu Gun

Post by burb1989 »

Hey all. Here's one I came into not too long ago. I found it at a small gun show not far down the street from my house on a friend's table. I recognized the unique bolt release and style of safety as being for a 7/8 scale child's trainer and bought it thinking that was what it was. However after showing it to many other collectors, one of which specializes in a way with training rifles and is recording them, they identified it as a much rarer trainer known as a 38 Type Nambu gun which was sold very briefly in between the 7/8 child trainer and the type 38 drill gun. To my surprise they also said that mine is only the sixth ever to be found and reported. What strikes me about it is that it has an original rope sling and a near perfect school marking and rack number (the marking was translated as Daiwa Youth School). Though it can't fire a live round it is without a doubt my rarest milsurp alongside my Indochinois berthier short rifle. Hope you guys like it as much as I do.
image489.jpeg
image490.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: "Unicorn" arisaka trainer: a 38 Type Nambu Gun

Post by ffuries »

Interesting, never seen one before, guess I've got some reading to do!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

ffuries wrote:Interesting, never seen one before, guess I've got some reading to do!
You and me both. This one's not even mentioned in Military Rifles of Japan at all. Aside from the uniqueness of it I've only found one reference to it and it is a copy of the original add selling them back in the 20s. Apparently it will only fit a very unique bayonet just like the 7/8 child's trainer. Here's the add I have on it.
image496.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Congrats on your rare find.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Military Arms Channel just did a video about these today haha. Explaining how the whole exploding Arisaka myth began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaznkI2yF7s