Tula M38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
vitaminboy

Re: Tula M38

Post by vitaminboy »

zigzag.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

MOmosin1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

tula.jpg
Denny-

Post by Denny- »

Cool splice on the Izhevsk vitaminboy and congrats on both carbines. I would be really interested in seeing a pic of the Tula tang date as I am wondering if it is a 1940 dated Tula. The 1940 Tula M38's ( that we only know of a handful) of were assembled at #74 Izhevsk factory from 1940 produced 91-30's at #314 Tula factory that had barrels that were out of spec near the muzzle. The barrels were cut down to carbine length, Serial Numbers stamped (as evident in the Izhevsk font), and assembled as M38's at Izhevsk. The leftover barrels that we in spec were assembled at Izhevsk as 1941 91-30 "Tulas" with an Izhevsk style S/N, a 41 date stamp over a 1940 date, or the added date of 41 like your new carbine has. The latest book by Alexander Yuschento shows a production Qty of 1944 #536 Tula M38's at 19K, and the exact is probably pretty close to the 19K. Anyways...enough rambling from me. Congrats of the cool carbines. Denny
Ruprecht1.jpg
This 1940 M38 belongs to "Ruprecht"
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

Denny I will do my bet to find out when I get a chance and let you know what I find.
Denny-

Post by Denny- »

vitaminboy wrote:Denny I will do my bet to find out when I get a chance and let you know what I find.
Thankyou sir, Denny
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Love the splice. Nice MO too. One other thing, the DDR stamp was debunked a while ago.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

racerguy00 wrote:Love the splice. Nice MO too. One other thing, the DDR stamp was debunked a while ago.
Yeah I was looking quickly in poor lighting without my glasses. I don't know what many stampings are but was going by the 1 in a triangle. The triangle there is obviously the Izhevsk with a weak arrow. I am wondering about the (T in a diamond??) stamping. I also know that some markings may never be explained.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think the price is decent for a Tula. You should closely check the other ones. Look for a '41 or before date and/or one in a pattern 2 stock (has the screw in escutcheons). Just don't see that many M-38's lined up any more, so there's always a possibility. Also check out the Chinese and the Romanian. Matching? 1953 Chinese=bonus. Fully matching Romanian=bonus. This is a situation where you could walk out with a few rifles in your hands. You should, at least, jump on the Tula M-38 though... :D

Looks like I arrived late to the party. Good snags. Congrats!
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

I looked them over quickly but wasn't prepared to take more than one. That splice and MO mark made me take note. I know there were no more Tula 38s I do also remember no 39 or 45 dates. I do think there were 1 or 2 with the pre war escutcheons and a few more with the wartime no escutcheon rear, liner front. I am picking them up tomorrow and I will revisit them to make sure the best deal there doesn't get by me.

So does anyone recognize the mark above th M on the Izhevsk? I haven't been able to find another like it in my searching yet. Thanks in advance.