Can I do anything with these bands?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sutts

Can I do anything with these bands?

Post by sutts »

I'm hoping for some advice please regarding the top bands on my recently acquired 91/30. Not sure if they're coated in preservative/shellac, corroded or a bit of both? They don't appear to be brass. I'm all for keeping things original but I don't think this rifle would have originally left the factory like this. I've seen some Roza Shanina pictures where the bands on her rifle are a nice silver color. Interested in hearing your opinions on whether I should leave well alone or try to remove the gunk.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: Can I do anything with these bands?

Post by ffuries »

That's the way they came out of the refurb program.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What I see is rust, or rust pitting, brass does not rust, steel was used in the caps all during the war years. Your rifle has seen war, probably a lot of it, the look of the caps is perfectly normal and expected on a refurbished rifle that is over 70+ years old. These rifles are not new, they are not unissued, they are not the products of a first world economy that could afford to scrap a part because it had a little pitting on it. Such would have driven an inspector at the US Springfield Armory into apoplectic fit's, but a Soviet armorer would simply shrug and say "is good enough"
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Good enough for government work!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Mosin_Shooter1891

Post by Mosin_Shooter1891 »

Your were wrong that is the way some came out.

Shellac consists of preservation for rifle. It was applied in large amounts, some say dipped. It was never made to be the best most durable or pretty, much like the black paint on metal.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Mosin_Shooter1891 wrote:Your were wrong that is the way some came out.......
Are you stating no rifles came out of the refurb program with cruddy or rusty parts?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Mosin_Shooter1891

ffuries wrote:
Are you stating no rifles came out of the refurb program with cruddy or rusty parts?
No be calm all is well.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The refurb program was carried out at multiple facilities, during different times over 40 years, fuckups were common and it was intended that they would be corrected by field armorers had the rifles been issued. Sloppy work was not uncommon either, the entire program was a make work measure after the mid 50's when it was clear that the next war would not be invasion but nuclear bombs from the air. Perfection didn't seem to be a priority, just get it done and packed so we can get on to the next job. They didn't just do this with rifles, they did it with every weapon they used during the war including captured enemy weapons.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Mosin_Shooter1891 wrote:
ffuries wrote:
No be calm all is well.
Sorry, I shouldn't respond at 0 dark thirty after I've taken my meds.........

I see that I put that is the way THEY and you put that is the way SOME........I didn't catch that until I reread it just now..........I took is as NO it didnt happen, so my bad and my apologies! All is good!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Mosin_Shooter1891 wrote:Your were wrong that is the way some came out.

Shellac consists of preservation for rifle. It was applied in large amounts, some say dipped. It was never made to be the best most durable or pretty, much like the black paint on metal.
Your pay for doing this to rifles all day? a bottle of cheap Vodka, a sausage, and two tokens. How good a job would you do? :drunk:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Mosin_Shooter1891

ffuries wrote:
Mosin_Shooter1891 wrote:
ffuries wrote:
No be calm all is well.
Sorry, I shouldn't respond at 0 dark thirty after I've taken my meds.........

I see that I put that is the way THEY and you put that is the way SOME........I didn't catch that until I reread it just now..........I took is as NO it didnt happen, so my bad and my apologies! All is good!
Thank you you are my friend.
Mosin_Shooter1891

steelbuttplate wrote:
Mosin_Shooter1891 wrote:Your were wrong that is the way some came out.

Your pay for doing this to rifles all day? a bottle of cheap Vodka, a sausage, and two tokens. How good a job would you do? :drunk:
I love vodka, sausages, and especially Mosins I would love to have put them to shellac. :BBQ2: