Oddball stock?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Riva9999

Oddball stock?

Post by Riva9999 »

Hi all, I just received a 91/30 stock but it seems undersized in length and it has what look like a bunch of splices in it. It appears to be a prewar stock based on stock escutcheons and the flat front stock cap. There is also a curious 'divot' in the bottom where the magazine body is, presumably to facilitate removal. Do I have a shortened example of recycling or is this a Dragoon stock? If I measure from the cap to the middle-ish of the buttplate it is 44 inches. Ideas? Thanks, Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oddball stock?

Post by millman »

That is perhaps the most cobbled stock I have seen. Any full length pics, or on the rifle. I would like to see how it looks in total.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Sorry I bought the stock as-is. When I put a stock upper guard on it with gen4 rings the end of the guard is about even with the end of the stock cap. If it helps I can drop another action into it. Thanks!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Is it M38 length?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Refurbishing on a budget, pretty much situation normal for anything the Soviets did.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

It's longer than an M39 but less than a 91/30. Looks kinda weird with a 01/30 handguard on it, but seems perfectly functional. I would have thought the labor to make all those splices, patches and piecework would have been less than hogging out another one, but I'm no carpenter. Thanks all
Mosin_Shooter1891

Post by Mosin_Shooter1891 »

Interesting repairs on that one. Soviet comrades did not produce waste in saving three line rifles. Very good that they did, lest so many would have survived to fight and enjoy today.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've had a couple of 91/30 refurb stocks that had the nose cap broken off at some point and the stock tip reshaped for a new one. They used a shorter handguard on those ones also.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Like Racer said there are many oddball stocks around in both refurbished variety from Com-bloc sources and actually a few Finnish and other sources made some to fit reworked rifles returning to the field. Many collectors these days grab them and immediately scream Bubba but often with closer inspection one would find that the "Bubba" who did them lived many years ago and may have had a field armory rank of Sargent or such. I kind of would look before I leap to either decision these days as many unseen or even noticed stuff is coming to light as Mosins become more popular with both collectors and shooters. Bill