Ammo Grain Weight ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rideandslidejim

Ammo Grain Weight ?

Post by rideandslidejim »

Hello All

Going to try hunting with my M38, i see not a lot of offerings of soft point ammo in 7.62 x 54R. All the Russian stuff is 203 gr. PPU offers a 150 gr. and Sellers & Betts has a 180 gr. What grain weight has anyone found best for the Mosin Carbines ????

Many Thanks !! :thumbsup:
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Ammo Grain Weight ?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

147 grain Full Metal Jacket, the Mosin wasn't made for killing ordinary animals, it was made to kill the most dangerous game of all. It did so tens of thousands of times, maybe hundreds of thousands, or even millions of times using 147 grain FMC spitzer bullet. There are " hunting" bullets out there, but the carbine is not a distance weapon, you need to get closer in that you would with something like the M39 Finn. At the shorter range the 7.62x54r 147 grain FMC should do it, but I notice you didn't mention what or who you are hunting, I hope it's not anyone I like.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rideandslidejim

Thanks Deer & Hogs, illegal to hunt with FMJ. Typical shot here is 50 to 100 yards.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

All the 203 gr. I've shot hits the same place as the rest. That should turn one a flip.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mwt

Post by mwt »

Not an m38, but Sierra 180 gr prohunters work well in my m39 and smle .303 - 40 gr of 4064 in the Brit and 42.5 in the Finn.

Regards
Marty
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I haven't shot any deer with this ammo but this Prvi Partizan 150 grain is pretty darn accurate.

I'm sure it will work just fine on deer. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Honestly its pretty much a tie between the lighter and the heavier soft point projectiles.

The lighter projectiles will have a flatter trajectory so you don't have to adjust your sighting as much with varying range, but the heavier bullets will do more damage to the target. Heavier bullets gain a more significant advantage at long range (over 800 yards) but you likely won't be making shots over 300 yards so there is no point.

I would trust the Russian 203gr. offerings. 7.62x54r is a popular hunting caliber in Russia, and they hunt BIG animals with it. People are surviving out in Siberia on what they can hunt because of the 203gr. Russian hunting cartridges. If anybody knows how to kill large animals effectively with this caliber, it's them. These heavy bullets will have more drop to their trajectory, so you as the shooter have to be prepared for that. Barnaul and LVE have some fine offerings in the 203gr. SP.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about the ability of the 150gr. soft points to stop a deer, and they will have a flatter trajectory which increases your chances of hitting on target at ranges your rifle is not zeroed for.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

According to the Russians. This is what you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
rideandslidejim

millman
No fiquire out the Russian !
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

13r is Russian for hog and deer bullet. :lol:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

[quote="mwt"]Not an m38, but Sierra 180 gr prohunters work well in my m39 and smle .303 - 40 gr of 4064 in the Brit and 42.5 in the Finn.

Regards
Marty

You used a .311 or .312 Sierra? I've loaded some of that stuff for my .315 bores and it performs nicely.
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

I got a deer last season in Middle TN with the heavy Barnaul stuff. It didn’t run very far at all. Haven’t had the chance yet this year but I decided if/when I go this year I would use PPU 150 gr. I thought the heavy stuff may have been overkill on a white tail if such a thing is even possible.

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Never worry about overkill, but about a wounded one getting away because your bullet didn't punch thru a limb and have power and weight enough left to make a kill shot.
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

steelbuttplate wrote:Never worry about overkill, but about a wounded one getting away because your bullet didn't punch thru a limb and have power and weight enough left to make a kill shot.
There was absolutely no risk of that with the Barnaul! I would think the PPU would be quite sufficient too though.

If I were bear or elk hunting I would just stick with the heavy stuff though.

M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

Silver bear or brown bear 203gr. soft point. Shoot some through the rifle your going to use for hunting and at a reasonable distance to see where they group. I use the silver bear 203s , no deer has ever complained...
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

My M 39's respond very well to D166 200 grs. So any lead bullet in that range will work fine. 6 o'clock hold @ 100 yrds gives nice group. 100 yrds is longish here in Maine for deer and very long for Moose and Bear. God Bless America. Pro Libertate Patria.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Shot placement is more important than grain weight.

Shoot what you can get the best accuracy and have at err!