Un Bubba'd My NEW.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tailgunner67

Un Bubba'd My NEW.

Post by tailgunner67 »

Ok gents, here she is in her full glory. Some of you may know the story about this rifle but this is the 1915 New England Westinghouse that I bought at a pawn shop in Kentucky around mid October. She had been spray painted and had many other unmentionable things done to her. I was not looking for a project but I had to save her. This was my first time refinishing anything. I am very happy with the results. She is not perfect, but she is mine.

I had to strip and refinish the stock, then it got a coat of Toms's pine tar mix. I had to strip all of the paint off and found he sanded the finish off of the metal so I cold blued everything with a Birchwood Casey kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: Un Bubba'd My NEW.

Post by ffuries »

Due to the sling swivels I take it they molested a Finnish rifle!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Yes, sorry, she is Finned and resides in a Finnish stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Nice save, sucks it was a Finned rifle they had to screw with!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
WW1-WW2rifleman

Post by WW1-WW2rifleman »

Some people just don’t know how to appreciate good things. Nice save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Wow. A New England Westinghouse that was also a Fin capture. That will definitely spark collectors' interest.

You certainly made it better than it was. You might consider professional hot bluing through.

I do this same thing all the time but with cars that have Chevy 350s swapped into them. I buy them, and save them by removing the 350 and putting the original engine back in. You did the gun equivalent of that.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

AMCHornet wrote:Wow. A New England Westinghouse that was also a Fin capture. That will definitely spark collectors' interest.

You certainly made it better than it was. You might consider professional hot bluing through.

I do this same thing all the time but with cars that have Chevy 350s swapped into them. I buy them, and save them by removing the 350 and putting the original engine back in. You did the gun equivalent of that.
There's a fine line between restoration and re-bubba. There is a big difference in Chevy's and Finn rifles. Hot bluing? :roll: Read the forum rules, especially the part in red letters.
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

I got a quote from a local gun smith of 200 bucks to reblue it. I opted to just do it myself and keep my investment low in this piece. I will shoot a box of ammo through it and pack it away in the safe.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice save. You should post some before and after pics...
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Before and during pics. I did not sand the finish off the rifle, it was done before I got it.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

steelbuttplate wrote: Hot bluing? :roll: Read the forum rules, especially the part in red letters.
I am aware of the forum rules, and I have broken none of them.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

Nice save - Years ago these came into the U.S. cheap and many folks prettied em up, cheap, inexpensive, many but not all got bubba'd. Some of the rifles in my collection, came to me bubba'd....and I fixed em up....and I like em almost as much as the original pieces I have. These are the rifles that get the most firing from me....the others....are just trophy wives so to say...;)

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

If you sell rifle please let buyer know what you did. Doesn't have the been there done that look like my NEW does. God Bless America. Pro Libertate Patria
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Maine 20th wrote:If you sell rifle please let buyer know what you did. Doesn't have the been there done that look like my NEW does. God Bless America. Pro Libertate Patria

Yes sir.

I will never sell this rifle but that's the reason I documented the entire process. I would never misrepresent what it is.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like it. You did the best you could, and if you find an original in the future you'll still have this one to shoot.
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

I'm sure this old girl has some stories to tell.
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

Tell me OP, how did you get the sling rings off of the rifle? I have a Finned NEW also and I would like to take it apart to check under the wood just to be sure there are no nasty surprises there. I didn't want to break the sling rings.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Heavy Metal 1 wrote:Tell me OP, how did you get the sling rings off of the rifle? I have a Finned NEW also and I would like to take it apart to check under the wood just to be sure there are no nasty surprises there. I didn't want to break the sling rings.
Remove the screws that hold the sling swivels, then remove the barrel bands, after that it comes apart real easy. If your sling swivels have no screws in them, then you have Spanish Civil War rifle and the swivels can't be removed. Somebody correct me, but isn't there another country that used swivels like the Spanish ones?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Some Finn rifles do, a little more detailed in the curves, I don't even know how they would have put them on.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Matt556

Post by Matt556 »

Looks good!