I will own an AR again after 23 years

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
entropy

I will own an AR again after 23 years

Post by entropy »

Today my oldest son Cam and I worked out a deal- My Savage Axis and the 870 he sold to the 4-H club (which I will have to ransom back for $250) for his DPMS Sportical. The nice thing about doing this swap now (On Sunday after he comes in from hunting) is both guns shoot the same ammo, to the same POI. I use 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmints, and he uses 55 gr. V-Max. Both are loaded in mixed (though mostly LC) brass with 25.8 gr. of BL-C(2).

Here's Cam shooting it:
cam bolt open ar_zpsatmu99wi.jpg
Here's what I'm giving up in accuracy:
50yardzeroaxis.jpg

Here's what I'm getting:
cams sight in target_zpstal7po7w.jpg
I think it's an OK trade. I was going to build one, but hard to beat the price for a rifle I have shot, and know shoots well.

Here's some shots :wink: of Cam shooting over the years:
Camshootingmy870.jpg
CamStarBM.jpg
Yamqoute.jpg
skipperSKS.jpg
skipper45.jpg
skippertakesaim.jpg
And one of him and my Dad on a pheasant hunt a few years back. I wanted him to have the chance to pheasant hunt with his Grandpa, as I enjoyed it with my Grandpa.
CamandGrandpa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
RazorBurn

Re: I will own an AR again after 23 years

Post by RazorBurn »

Very cool pictures! Congrats on the swap! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why didn't you just build your own? NBC news told me yesterday that it's easy to do and only takes 44 minutes, explaining how last weeks spree shooter got his weapons. Only 44 minutes from parts ordered off the internet with no FFL involved and no serial numbers. It's on the news so it must be true, right? Have fun with the new toy.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RE: Re: I will own an AR again after 23 years

Post by bunkysdad »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Why didn't you just build your own? NBC news told me yesterday that it's easy to do and only takes 44 minutes, explaining how last weeks spree shooter got his weapons. Only 44 minutes from parts ordered off the internet with no FFL involved and no serial numbers. It's on the news so it must be true, right? Have fun with the new toy.
I like it. I like an all of course. That Sportical is set up just like my new Anderson AR. I learned the hard way that a standard flip up front sight won't work in a low profile gas block rail. [emoji14] I have flip ups and a red dot at the moment, but I may add the scope. I like yours real well. It's nice to see three generations involved in shooting and hunting.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Why didn't you just build your own? NBC news told me yesterday that it's easy to do and only takes 44 minutes, explaining how last weeks spree shooter got his weapons. Only 44 minutes from parts ordered off the internet with no FFL involved and no serial numbers. It's on the news so it must be true, right? Have fun with the new toy.
Trust NBC news? Nah, never. I'm sure a lot of us remember the GMC gas tank fiasco from Dateline NBC.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-10/ ... _gm-pickup

Nah, the news would never lie to sell a hot story. Never I tell you. :chuckles:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RE: Re: I will own an AR again after 23 years

Post by bunkysdad »

RazorBurn wrote:
Trust NBC news? Nah, never. I'm sure a lot of us remember the GMC gas tank fiasco from Dateline NBC.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-10/ ... _gm-pickup

Nah, the news would never lie to sell a hot story. Never I tell you. :chuckles:
Yeah especially NBC, or MSNBC. [emoji14]
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Right on.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
entropy

Post by entropy »

Actually, I was going to build one; I even asked Ron about his 'secret' transfer guy, but he said after all that, it'd be easier to just order it from Russell's and pick it up at the shop, but then Cam stopped by the other day and suggested the trade. I mulled it over for a few days, because I'd rather he kept the AR (every able bodied man of sound mind should own one, or an AK), but he's happy with this deal, and so am I.

I may yet do an 80% build, but I don't have a drill press yet, and I am skittish about the Polymer 80 lowers.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

and I bet once you get to that receiver it will take you 20 minutes to finish it and another 24 to bolt everything together, news outlets wouldn't lie to me...right? M1A, that's what this somewhat able bodied and occasionally sound minded man prefers. Built my own AR many years ago before it became the thing to do, something about plastic and aluminum just didn't take with me. Back then I could have started up production the parts and receivers were cheap and available, even the better known names, then the Clintons came along and fucked everything up. The months before the Clinton crime bill was enacted saw prices of all things AR shoot higher than the Apollo rocket, only the Obama panic came close to that. I had a guy who had an entire crate of AR receivers, when his ex would start pressing him for money he would start selling receivers for a C note or less. That was back before " pre ban" , " post ban" and all that bullshit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I thought that I was done building AR's, what with two in 5.56 and one in 7.62x39 residing in the closet, but noooo...I had to enter Bear Creeks' Veterans giveaway and UPS just brought me a bright shiny 16" stainless steel 1:9 twist barrel in .223 Wylde, so here I go again.

My 1:8 twists like an even 26grs of BLC-2 behind the 55gr pills, I load Varget behind anything heavier. I'm still waiting for Rocky Mountain Reloading to get their 69gr BTHP into production but they've run into problem after problem with that machine.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I want to get two more, I've got one an AR15A2, basically a copy of what we carried in the AF for the majority of my career. I want to get one done up with the triangular handguards, solid buttstock, like we had when I first enlisted in 1986, and then a M4 style that we were transitioning to when I retired in 2008. With just those three I would be perfectly content in the AR department.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

I really don't have much love for the AR platform...but I've got this chainsaw laying around... I heard on the news I can mount it to an AR so I guess I better get one. :lol: :bonk:
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am done with ARs and AKs. I have gone retro with the SKS. There are several things I like better about the SKS. Since I don't anticipate fighting off hoards of zombies. (we don't have them in the deep south) Ten rounds and a pocket full of strippers work fine for me.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

(we don't have them in the deep south)
Oh, yes you do Steve! I seen it on TV, The Walking Dead is in GA and VA! They wouldn't have it set up here. If they're that slow in 80 F, they'd be comatose at 0 F! All we'd have to do is survive until winter, then walk out at our leisure and pike 'em. :P

Murphy was an optimist.

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Pike em! Now Entropy that is worthy of a good chuckle. :) I'd still rather shoot the walkers. I can't believe how juicy those suckers are even though you can see clean through them.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great Picks of Skipper shooting through the years!! Is that my SKS Paratrooper in the one photo??? I remember he loved shooting that. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good times!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"