M-39 question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

Re: M-39 question

Post by steelbuttplate »

I haven't been to a gunshow since 2009, I'd went there looking for a M-44, none were there. I called a number in the Iwanna on the way home and bought a '46 for $120. I can't stand for over 20 min., back problems. I've gotten deals on the internet I guarantee you would never get at a gunshow. I'll probably never go to another one. Buy the way, a '53 Romanian M-44 sold on GB last nite for $245 shipped. All matching. Try finding one at a show for that price.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Damn this internets place is serious business ain't it? :chuckles:

One thing about it, it livens this board up a bit :wink:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes it is business, this morning I located a real nice pipe rack to replace the one the little fuzzball at home knocked off the table and broke. Walnut 50's vintage with room for seven pipes and a small cabinet for pipe cleaners and such. I wanted one like it for years but never saw one at the flea markets, were it not for eBay I would be making something out of old wood scrap and with my limited wood skills it would look like crap. Now I have to find and break in three more pipes so the rack will be full. The internet has opened up a world to collectors of everything, like the biggest flea market in history that covers the entire globe and never closes. Last week in was grape flavor tobacco, never even knew they made it, week before that it was the sockets missing from my Indestro 1/2" drive socket set not made since the early 1960's. I could go on indefinitely, yet by this point I have found more treasures on the internet in the last decade than in 30 years of flea markets and gun shows combined. Everything I look for turns up sooner or later, even the small stupid shit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Grape tobacco sounds pretty awful. I'll stick to Captain Black.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That flavor is Captain Black, generally I stick to their gold or cherry. I added a sample pouch to my last order and will try it soon. I am always a sucker for aromatic fruit sample pouches, this is the closest I can get to candy.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I like the gold and the white.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The whites good, I am finally getting to the last of a haul from a variety store I bought out a few years back at auction. I ended up putting in a low bid and winning the shops humidor counter with everything in it. I have been working on some Prince Albert, figured it was about time I let him out of the can, but that's almost gone now. The prince takes some getting used too after years of the captain and some special house blends I would get when we still had a real tobacconist nearby. My pipe keeps me from burning my way through my stock of expensive cigars from that haul. I have some tins of stuff that were gifted to me and remain untried yet, I eye the cans with some trepidation, maybe it will taste like oranges and cream, or dead rotting fish. I rarely dabble with the unknown when it comes to tobacco, but I might open one this weekend, something from Denmark called "Stanwell Melange" mixed with apricot and natural sweetness with a soft delicate taste and pleasing aroma. We will see, anyway I want the tin for storing pre lubed musket wadding in my ready bag.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You guys ever tried any American Spirit? Like grown by Indians with no chemical sprays.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I thought that was for roll your own cigarettes? No, I have never seen any for sale near here, only saw mention of it in conjunction with cigarettes. Cig tobacco blends have markedly different property's from the pipe ones. Flavors, cut, ingredients, even the moisture content tend to differ between the two and both differ from cigar tobacco blends. Most cig tobacco is dry and will stay lit even if your not smoking it, this being the reason so many fires are started with cigg's, pipes on the other hand will tend to die out if you pause smoking for a few minutes, the moisture content is higher. You have to fuss with a pipe a bit to get it going nicely, and once it's going you will be there for 20 minutes to an hour depending on the capacity of the pipe and how you smoke. Pipe tobacco will tend to leave a nice aftertaste, something cigg tobaccos rarely do. Cigg tobacco is intended to be inhaled, it's smoke is much lighter than pipe smoke, some cigg smokers will inhale pipe smoke, but even they would have trouble with the heavier blends. Good pipe tobaccos leave a nice aftertaste, like Captain Black, others will be challenged to taste good at all.
Theodore Roosevelt