Neck sizing

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
silverado1999

Neck sizing

Post by silverado1999 »

Hey yall. I have been picking up some neck sizing dies here and there for my bolt guns. I like Lee collet neck sizing dies, but Lee doesn't make one for 7.62x54R, Lee tech doesn't even know why. So I figured this is the best place to ask questions for my Mosin's.
I have found that some reloaders use the Lee collet neck sizer for 303 Brit, for the 7.62x54R. Does anyone here use this die and how do you adjust it to work with the 7.62x54 cases?
Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks Incidentally, both of my Mosin's bore slugged at .312.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
SA1911a1

Re: Neck sizing

Post by SA1911a1 »

Mine is about a 16.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

SA1911a1 wrote:Mine is about a 16.
Gauge? :D

Lee probably doesn't make them, because they know most Mosin owners have more than one, and neck sizing only has to be done for each individual rifle. :P
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

entropy wrote:
Gauge? :D

Lee probably doesn't make them, because they know most Mosin owners have more than one, and neck sizing only has to be done for each individual rifle. :P
Yes Lee doesn't make one and that may be the reason. But for me it's no problem, I have one round and one hex receiver so I would not get them confused. I like the Lee dies, thats why I look at using their 303 Brit neck sizing die.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

I use the Lee dies for FL resizing but use the RCBS for neck sizing both .308 & .311 mosin rounds. Can't compare it to the Lee collet neck sizers but the RCBS works very well.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

I use a Lee full length sizing die to neck size by putting a couple of washer under the die before screwing the die tight. This works great for me. YMMV.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

That would work, but I use the Lee anniversary press and quick change bushings. So I would still have to re-adjust the FL die after neck sizing. So I think I'll get a Lee 303 Brit neck sizing die. I read on another site how to adjust the die to work very well with the 7.62x54r cases. Besides I like working with the Lee dies.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have the Lee neck sizing set for 6.5x55 Swede. It works very well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

silverado1999 wrote:That would work, but I use the Lee anniversary press and quick change bushings. So I would still have to re-adjust the FL die after neck sizing. So I think I'll get a Lee 303 Brit neck sizing die. I read on another site how to adjust the die to work very well with the 7.62x54r cases. Besides I like working with the Lee dies.
Did you get the 303 dies? Any luck using it for the MN?
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Damn, you beat me to it!! :chuckles:
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Like RCBS .308 and .311. Works well with NEW. God Bless America. Pro Libertate Patria
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Maine 20th wrote:Like RCBS .308 and .311. Works well with NEW.
They should work well. You have the best components.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

Heavy Metal 1 wrote:
silverado1999 wrote:That would work, but I use the Lee anniversary press and quick change bushings. So I would still have to re-adjust the FL die after neck sizing. So I think I'll get a Lee 303 Brit neck sizing die. I read on another site how to adjust the die to work very well with the 7.62x54r cases. Besides I like working with the Lee dies.
Did you get the 303 dies? Any luck using it for the MN?
Sorry it took so long, I've been out of commission a while.
No, actually I had this discussion on another forum and a friend hooked me up with another set of full length Lee dies, so I can set one sizing die to just bump the shoulder. He says it works for him too. :lol:
AverageJo

Post by AverageJo »

Just use the FL die and set it just enough so the bolt can close and forget all the neck sizing nonsense. Good luck
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

Thanks AverageJo, thats the plan. I just wanted to get another FL sizing die so I don't have to reset it every time I get once fired brass from someone else. As soon as I take one of my Mosin's to the range I'm going to get that new to me FL die set up to bump the shoulder.
I really appreciate all of the knowledgeable folks here.
AverageJo

Post by AverageJo »

So here is the question, why can’t you use the partially full size for someone else’s fired brass. I do that, I just make sure that it fits in my chamber before I commence the next operation.
MrUnnecessary

Post by MrUnnecessary »

For roughly $100 I sent Lee 2 cartridges and a .311 bullet and had them make me a custom 7.62x54R collet die set for .311 bullets and also the mandrels for .308 and .312 bullets. It works perfectly and I'm able to neck size for 3 different bores. I'll probably only ever use the .312 mandrel as all of my 91/30s are .3135-.314 bores.
If you choose to go this route specify your mandrel diameters in actual diameter as the person that takes your order will ask you to specify them as thousandths under or over the bullet diameter that you sent. It's very confusing and I had to send back the first set of extra mandrels because they were too small.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

Well, all things being equal that's the way I'd go too MrUnnecessary, unfortunately things are no longer equal. I can't afford 100 bucks out of pocket, the boos would have conniption fit, for that die. I've started working with a FL die adjusted out about .002 - .003 and it's working good. I would love to have ordered one from Lee, maybe when I come into some money.