New Anderson AM15, my first AR15

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

New Anderson AM15, my first AR15

Post by bunkysdad »

Well I couldn't be happier. I've always enjoyed shooting AR rifles when I got the chance, but never owned one till now. Cabelas has a sale on these right now for 399.00. It's the optics ready Anderson AM15. I'm on a learning curve here, and made my first mistake when I bought the wrong flip up sights. This model has a picatinny gas block up front and is on a lower plane than the rail on the receiver. Regular flip up sights won't work as they are designed for same-plane height installation. I found this out on my first range trip when the rifle shot 18" high at 20 yards! So I returned the sights and got a gas block front sight and better quality rear sight. Amazon is good for customer service by the way. Not only did I have the wrong front sight, but I had them backwards too. They should fold backwards. :)
After installing the correct sights my next range trip was spot on. I am considering my options on customizing such as handguards, red dot sight or scope, etc.....
Think I really like the look of the 12" free-float handguard on the 16" barrel, but I actually like the look of the original M4 style handguard that it came with. Also like the Magpul MOE carbine length handguard too. I can certainly see why people get so involved in these "Mattel Specials". Wouldn't mind building a upper in 7.62x39. ImageImage
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Anderson AM15, my first AR15

Post by millman »

Looks good for only $400. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I just took delivery of a complete upper in 7.62x39 from Classic Arms, on sale cost me $225 shipped, I can't put one together for that. Push pin and go, I haven't taken it out yet. Made by Bear Creek and a ton cheaper from Classic than buying direct from them.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great deal! I can't get one for that since Cabelas is across the border & they won't sell to me unless I ship it across & do the transfer. Not worth the hassle.
Got an Anderson lower at my LGS for under $50 OTD. Working on a build for that.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

"Mattell Specials" ? God Bless America. Pro Libertate Patria.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I can highly recommend the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 power scope for the AR-15. My scope sits in a Burris one piece AR mount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Great price on the AR, and I'd love to have a safe full of them at that price for down the road.

I have a couple of Leupold Mark AR's on AR-15's, and they've been great optics. I also have a Vortex Diamondback PST on my AR-10, and it's been a great optic too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

SOG had me started with $200 M88A's, then mogunner got me all a-tingle with those $225 uppers. I have an Anderson lower and I felt I had to finish it off before getting another pistol. Was going back and forth a bit with 7.62 vs 5.56, but figured I already have the x54 and x25 ammo, might as well have some American-ey ammo. Was really tempted by the BC Wylde, but ended up with the AOR 16" complete by Anderson. More money, but they had ugly buttstocks on sale and it made for one-stop shopping. Didn't see anything too bad about Bear Creek online, but figured it was worth the extra money if there was any sort of fitment issue being that it would be apples to apples. Did save about $30 (13% + Free Shipping) with "Halloween" coupon code from FB.

More or less will be the same as bunkysdad's (other than the Dirka Brown buttstock). Optics budget will be after completion.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Bear Creek used to be Moore Machine company, you'll find a ton of bad stuff online about them. They flooded the market with some really crappy AR's early on, got slammed bad enough that they quit for awhile and evidently hired some actual machinists, or maybe some better machinery. I see quite a few good and excellent reviews on their stuff now which was the only reason I bought that upper. Still no complaints on it.
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

I read the history of Bear Creek and was fine with the company; you will always find something negative online. It was more about being my first 'build', I wasn't up for mix and match manufactures. The only thing I would of done with the BC was check on an O-ring that some people say is missing in the bolt carrier - $4 part.

UPS says it will be here tomorrow. :clap: Need to start watching those YouTube lower assembly videos again.